Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Beaver Falls, Pennsylvania
    (Beaver County)
    Posts
    75
    Rep Power
    41

    Default Firearms in a vehicle on company property

    Does PA have a law allowing firearms stored in a secure locked vehicle on company property? If PA does not have this law, what needs to be done to try to get something in place to help firearms owners to get a bill passed to make it easier on law abiding folks? I see some midwest states (Texas, Oklahoma & others) have this law in place allowing employees to have their firearms secured in their own personal vehicles. Companies that have policies restricting firearms on company property are taking away from an individual right to protection commuting to and from work or just to go hunting after work without having to return home to retrieve the firearm. This law would benefit everyone, especially people who work odd shifts, start or stop work at odd times of the day or their job is not located in the best of neighborhoods.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pittston, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)
    Posts
    3,996
    Rep Power
    1460539

    Default Re: Firearms in a vehicle on company property

    No............
    Well off to the rodeo

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    PA, Pennsylvania
    (Delaware County)
    Posts
    3,593
    Rep Power
    622656

    Default Re: Firearms in a vehicle on company property

    If you want people to respect your rights... You should learn to respect private property and company "rights".

    If their policy is no guns or their policy is to submit to searches of your person and/or vehicle... That is what you agreed to.

    Refuse the policy and you won't be breaking the law, but you will be terminated

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    North Penn area, Pennsylvania
    Age
    55
    Posts
    995
    Rep Power
    507347

    Cool Re: Firearms in a vehicle on company property

    Most companies have a no weapons rule , which in many cases is vague and open to interpetation.

    We're not supposed to possess anything that can be used as a weapon on company property , but most of the tools I use in the course of a day could inflict far greater damage than the pocketknife I'm not supposed to be carrying and could be fired for.
    CONFORM! Or be cast out!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)
    Posts
    15,558
    Rep Power
    8287012

    Default Re: Firearms in a vehicle on company property

    This has been discussed at great length here - on multiple occasions.


    Well, maybe not the "what can be done" part.
    South Central PA GROUP SHOOT - Saturday Sept 12 - Click HERE for details! All WELCOME!!!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh(Ross), Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)
    Posts
    2,973
    Rep Power
    2026284

    Default Re: Firearms in a vehicle on company property

    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerJon View Post
    Refuse the policy and you won't be breaking the law, but you will be terminated
    If you bring a firearm onto property that you know does not want firearms there you will be breaking the law, trespassing.

    This has also been discussed widely on the forum.
    Last edited by QuackXP; January 29th, 2012 at 11:54 AM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    PA, Pennsylvania
    (Delaware County)
    Posts
    3,593
    Rep Power
    622656

    Default Re: Firearms in a vehicle on company property

    Quote Originally Posted by QuackXP View Post
    k

    If you bring a firearm onto property that you know does not want firearms there you will be breaking the law, trespassing.

    This has also been discussed widely on the forum.
    Bringing a firearm on to the work property, mall or college is not necessarily trespassing...

    Refusal to leave would be though. You're confusing a firearms policy with a trespassing law. Sometimes they occur together but not always
    Last edited by BimmerJon; January 29th, 2012 at 11:53 AM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    ..............., Pennsylvania
    (Chester County)
    Posts
    4,964
    Rep Power
    2507178

    Default Re: Firearms in a vehicle on company property

    Quote Originally Posted by robgoedeker View Post
    Does PA have a law allowing firearms stored in a secure locked vehicle on company property? If PA does not have this law, what needs to be done to try to get something in place to help firearms owners to get a bill passed to make it easier on law abiding folks? I see some midwest states (Texas, Oklahoma & others) have this law in place allowing employees to have their firearms secured in their own personal vehicles. Companies that have policies restricting firearms on company property are taking away from an individual right to protection commuting to and from work or just to go hunting after work without having to return home to retrieve the firearm. This law would benefit everyone, especially people who work odd shifts, start or stop work at odd times of the day or their job is not located in the best of neighborhoods.
    You need to contact your legislator and ask for support of HB 886.

    It been languishing in the House Judiciary since 3/2/11.
    IANAL

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh(Ross), Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)
    Posts
    2,973
    Rep Power
    2026284

    Default Re: Firearms in a vehicle on company property

    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerJon View Post
    Bringing a firearm on to the work property, mall or college is not necessarily trespassing...

    Refusal to leave would be though. You're confusing a firearms policy with a trespassing law. Sometimes they occur together but not always
    From my understanding if you have been informed not to bring firearms anywhere on the property and you still do you are trespassing. If you leave right away the chances of being charged, prosecuted and convicted are not high but you are still trespassing.

    Also employers seem to have much more of a zero tolerance to this while retail just does not want firearms in their building and are more likely to be fine locking a firearm in your car on their property.

    Kind of like how allot of retail does not have signs prohibiting firearms or security searches so someone CC will not have any problems if they are not discovered but OC will be asked to leave citing some policy.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    south western PA, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)
    Posts
    3,357
    Rep Power
    1192429

    Default Re: Firearms in a vehicle on company property

    Quote Originally Posted by robgoedeker View Post
    Does PA have a law allowing firearms stored in a secure locked vehicle on company property? If PA does not have this law, what needs to be done to try to get something in place to help firearms owners to get a bill passed to make it easier on law abiding folks? I see some midwest states (Texas, Oklahoma & others) have this law in place allowing employees to have their firearms secured in their own personal vehicles. Companies that have policies restricting firearms on company property are taking away from an individual right to protection commuting to and from work or just to go hunting after work without having to return home to retrieve the firearm. This law would benefit everyone, especially people who work odd shifts, start or stop work at odd times of the day or their job is not located in the best of neighborhoods.

    Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    You need to contact your legislator and ask for support of HB 886.

    It been languishing in the House Judiciary since 3/2/11.
    Rep Pyle is not pushing 886

    Rep Pyle is pushing 935 as the one that he wants to move in 2011-12 session, still tl_3237 is right its another one of our bills languishing in the House Judiciary.

    To OP and everyone else IF you want see this policy changed and provide for civil immunity for property owners read up on HB 935 and IF you are for the concept how about sending some emails or making some phone calls to gather more sponsors. (list of who is best to contact in thread)


    HB 935 - Same as HB 886 including Sponsor?

    http://forum.pafoa.org/pennsylvania-...g-sponsor.html


    There are several long debates on property rights in last session thread you can read up on if you want to look at both sides search for HB 2049 parking lot on PAFOA
    Learn how to really SUPPORT the 2nd Amendment cause Go To http://www.foac-pac.org/

Similar Threads

  1. Vehicle searches on private property?
    By Eskimo in forum General
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: December 9th, 2010, 10:38 PM
  2. Loaded firearms in vehicle?
    By mongo in forum Shotguns
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: May 20th, 2010, 01:01 AM
  3. Firearms in vehicle
    By tl_3237 in forum General
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: September 1st, 2008, 10:16 PM
  4. Property rights and firearms?
    By sluggie24 in forum General
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: March 10th, 2008, 11:59 AM
  5. Are firearms community property in PA?
    By blueeyedbyrd in forum General
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: February 15th, 2008, 08:25 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Local gun shops | Local shooting ranges | Philadelphia Shooting Ranges | Philadelphia Gun Shops | Pittsburgh Shooting Ranges | Pittsburgh Gun Shops