Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Smile New to Chester County

Hi All -

I am moving to Chester County, PA from New York and am a gun lover. I understand that you do not need to hold a conceal carry license to purchase a gun in PA (for target shooting/home protection) - does this remain true for someone with a NY license that just moved to the area? I am still debating on switching my license to PA as I do not know how long I will be living in the area, it all depends on my job. Currently, I am going through the channels to receive my CCL in NY and should have it before moving to PA. After much research, I dont believe I would be able to get a non-resident license in Chester - does that mean I will be unable to CC in PA at all? Lastly, Are there any good ranges to go to in the Phoenixville Area that someone can recommend? Sorry for the million and one questions but any advice you can provide would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Tom

(Warren County)

Default Re: New to Chester County

Not sure about your other questions but Phoenixville has a nice indoor range just outside of town on 724, French Creek Outfitters. They've got 10 ranges and a nice selection of rental guns available. Can't get much closer than that, good luck with your move and welcome to PA.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom0689 View Post
    Hi All -

I am moving to Chester County, PA from New York and am a gun lover. I understand that you do not need to hold a conceal carry license to purchase a gun in PA (for target shooting/home protection) - does this remain true for someone with a NY license that just moved to the area? I am still debating on switching my license to PA as I do not know how long I will be living in the area, it all depends on my job. Currently, I am going through the channels to receive my CCL in NY and should have it before moving to PA. After much research, I dont believe I would be able to get a non-resident license in Chester - does that mean I will be unable to CC in PA at all? Lastly, Are there any good ranges to go to in the Phoenixville Area that someone can recommend? Sorry for the million and one questions but any advice you can provide would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Tom
    Tim , USAF Ret.

(Delaware County)

You can't get a nonresident PA LTCF unless you are licensed in your home state.

You could get a license from a reciprocal state that PA honors to carry concealed, in a vehicle (any state), etc in PA. Like Florida, Utah or Maine.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom0689 View Post
    Hi All -

Thanks,
    Tom
    Tom,

I live near Phoenixville. There are lots of great ranges nearby. French Creek Outfitters has an indoor range and is primarily used for handguns. Kimberton Fish and Game Assoc. is very close as well. I am a member there. I'm also a member at the Northern Chester County Sportsman Club.

Send me a private message once you get settled into the area. I'd be happy to show you the ranges.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Montgomery County)

Breath the free air here man...

(Chester County)

Welcome to Chester County! Be sure too get a license to carry firearms from the Sheriff's department. http://dsf.chesco.org/sheriff/cwp/view.asp?A=3&Q=609185 The cost is $20.00 and the turn around time in usually less than ten days to two weeks. In addition to French Creek Outfitters, there is a wonderful gun club nearby, Kimberton Fish & Game Association also near Phoenixville. Enjoy Chester County!

(Chester County)

Just as well, welcome....

I also regular French Creek Outfitters from time to time and its not a horrible place although getting a lane can sometimes be difficult or at least a waiting process. I've never had a bad experience yet talking with their staff about products or opinions and find their selection to be "OK". Their holsters selection though is far below ideal so if you are going to pick up a holster for your weapon of choice check out the officer store, www.officerstore.com as I've had good experiences there and their selection is almost ridiculously large. Bit of a drive from phoenixville though, 30 minutes one way, maybe a shade more at worst.

Furthermore I've heard good things about Northern Chester County Sportsman Club and thought about becoming a member there myself this year, just haven't gotten around to it so i'd check that out. If you are in a bind there is always State Games Lands #43 near French Creek State Park but there are limitations on shooting here with a handgun and frankly the regulars that visit here can be downright difficult to deal with to put it politely.
    ~ Lost :having gone astray or missed the way; bewildered as to place, direction, etc.