Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: 1911 frame

(Beaver County)

Default 1911 frame

Im lookin to build my first 1911. Im lookin at Caspian frames but they're like 200 bucks, so im wonderin if anyone knows of any other manufacturers. Im lookin for some input too,I mean if Caspians are a real solid frame I'll just go wit that

(York County)

Default Re: 1911 frame

Sarco carries RIA frames for 99 bucks.
    Every day's a Saturday

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by col.klink View Post
    Im lookin to build my first 1911. Im lookin at Caspian frames but they're like 200 bucks, so im wonderin if anyone knows of any other manufacturers. Im lookin for some input too,I mean if Caspians are a real solid frame I'll just go wit that
    Are you going to try to build the 1911 yourself or have a smith do it for you?
    Friends don't let friends buy Taurus's

(Berks County)

I don't want to discourage you, but building a 1911 is a pretty hefty undertaking. Lots of fitting and filing to get things to work and go right, also some tools you should have.

Here is a thread we had here from a while ago on the subject with some good info: http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/123...911-build.html

Please, Please, PLEASE!!! Read this guys tutorial on his 1911 build, you will learn a lot and probably get a few laughs.

Here: http://how-i-did-it.org/1911-project...nslearned.html

Whatever you decide to do, good luck.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

I built my first 1911 using a kit from Sarco and whatever hand tools I had around the house. As the saying goes, "It ain't rocket surgery." A $300+ armorer's tool kit to assemble a kit of parts is ridiculous. Remember, the 1911 was designed to be serviced in the field using its own parts as tool. You may need a file, but if you buy the Armscor slide and frame from Sarco you probably won't even need to fit the slide to the frame.

Oh, and for the record ... my first build didn't kaboom, and six years later it still functions flawlessly.
    Last edited by Greywolf; February 1st, 2012 at 01:08 AM. Reason: Typos

(Monroe County)

I have built a Half dozen or so 1911's over the years, with good success. I also mess with old cars like my 39 fORD Deluxe coupe with a 350/4 speed etc. I have picked up lots of tools over the last 50 years and can adapt things to do jobs they were never intended for.
    I would suggest you buy the best parts you can afford and do some reading before starting. Always cut /grind the cheeper part. If using a Wilson style beavertail buy the jig as it has a compound curve that is hard to fake.
    I feel the glass rod style trigger is dangerous I prefer a slight bit of creap, go easy on trigger work
    The Caspian frame at $200.00 has a lot of the work done for you and you can get upgrades done by the factory cheeply. With carefull work you can make a $1000.00 gun for $500.00 -$600.00. It will not be easy to sell it for that amount unfortunatly.
    I am not impressed with the article prev. posted using an Essex frame. I have built several on thier frames with no problem, just referancing them to identify the article.
    I have seen several articles on guys building guns in a school setting with pistolsmiths, and do not think it's worht it.
    If you are handy jump in and do it. Good Luck

(Centre County)

you may wanna look in to Fusion's "easy fit kit" as your first build.
    Not a cheapest option - as kit start at just under $700 - but they sells you a frame/slide/barrel/Barrel pin/Bushing thats fitted already.

And you do the rest. And if you buy th kit, I think you'll get like 25%off on all their parts.
    And I've used many of their parts for my 1911's. Their parts are high quality(although, i have had some shipping issues with them in the past)

This way, you'll get to understand how everything works, and once you get it to work, and gain an experience.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere