Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Traveled to Florida with my firearm

So I spent this past week in Florida on a business trip, and I decided to (for the first time) travel with my firearm. For the most part, it was a good experience, but something about it rubbed me the wrong way. More on that later, but first, some background info.

I work for a big 3 letter sports network as a broadcast video engineer. I travel 3-5 days per week, all over the US. Most of the time I don't take a firearm with me, either because I'll be working in a state with strict gun laws (*cough* I'm looking at you California) or because I'll be in a state with no PA reciprocity (like Massachusetts).

Fortunately for me though I was able to spend this whole past week in Florida, which has no such issues. Sunday afternoon I checked in at the US Airways counter at ABE, my unloaded Walther PK380 securely packed in a hard-sided, locked case, locked inside,my luggage. I fly out of Allentown 2-3 times a week, so all the gate and counter agents know me by name, as well as most of the TSA agents. So when I declared I handgun to the guy at the counter, it was no big deal. I signed the card stating that it was unloaded, locked my bag, and dragged it over to the TSA baggage screeners. Every day they ask if I have any film, firearms, or hazardous materials, and it's gotten to the point where I just hand them my bags, say "no" before they even ask me and walk away. Sunday though, I declared my firearm, and after some playful banter, and getting the ok, I continued on my way.

Both myself and my firearm made it to Florida. Had no carry issues down there (no OC allowed, didn't take it to the ballpark, and stayed out out of the bars).

Friday afternoon I checked into the US Airways counter at Miami airport. Same drill as before, declared the firearm and signed the form stating that it was unloaded. Now the setup there is a little different than at Allentown. In Miami, instead of dropping your bags off at TSA yourself, they go on a conveyor back to the screening area. But since there was a firearm involved, they couldn't just throw it on the conveyor. Instead, I had to drag my bag back into the screening area myself. Here's where things got interesting. After swabbing my bag for explosives, the TSA agents opened my bag. Then swabbed the gun case for explosives. Then swabbed the gun itself for explosives (came up negative thanks to a sonic bath, but what did they expect swabbing something that shoots gunpowder?). Then, coming up empty, they turned their attention to me. After all, a person with a LTCF and declaring a legal firearm MUST be up to no good, right? So they decided to swab my hands, my bag, and my boots, all before I even got to the security checkpoint. All those coming up negative, it became time to play 20 questions. Why did I have a firearm? Why was I in Florida? Why did I feel the need to bring it to Florida? Now anyone that knows me, knows that I'm no fan of the TSA. It's just something I have to put up with to do my job. But this was all just stupid. They just took the opportunity to give me the runaround, because they could. After about 20 minutes, I guess they decided I was no real threat (duh) and sent me on my way.
    It's just frustrating to me being singled out simply because I'm exercising my rights.

Now I'm not really looking to start a TSA bashing thread (I'll save that for the FlyerTalk forums). I just wanted to share my experience of traveling with a firearm, and vent a little. Overall it wasn't a TERRIBLE experience. I'll be back down there in a few weeks, and will probably take my firearm again.

Thoughts/comments welcome.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

Default Re: Traveled to Florida with my firearm

I never had any issues with TSA as it pertains to firearms. Interesting encounter for sure.

CL

(Allegheny County)

Interesting. I used to live in Miami, before coming to PA. I have traveled numerous time back in forth with multiple guns together, checked and declared, and never had any "20questions" or swabbing's from TSA or singled-out extensive pat-downs. Sorry, you had that experience just simply practicing your rights. Safe carrying on the future.

(Bucks County)

I have flown over 20 times during last three years with a handgun. I have flown in and out of Philadelphia, Louisville, Allentown, Chicago O'Hara, Atlanta, Cleveland, Newark NJ to name a few airports. I have never had any issues checking a handgun but try and stay with US Air, Southwest, or Delta.

The only issue I have experienced was the first several time flying I found my bag was completely rearnaged and an orange sticker on bag declaring it searched by TSA. I also found a brochure on inside declaring same. I was never called to open the gun safe. It was in Allentown at the TSA screener out in the open that I observed my bag being searched and what got the machine's attention was a large container of Head and Shoulders and a large container of mouthwash that the screeners swabbed and analyzed. After the procedure I had a chat with the screener and she told me the chemicals in both containers set off the screener. I changed my habits and stopped carrying the large containers (started to use hotel supplies) and never had a bag searched again. Maybe you had something leak in your bag that caused concern ( or maybe just ran into an anti gun jerkoff TSA agent). I have never even been asked for any credentials or ID related to the handgun and never experienced any delays in declaring the handgun and checking in and no one really knows me at any airport as I change airports frequently. Travel safe !!!!

(Lehigh County)

Thanks guys. As I said, I'm sure this isn't the norm. And while I'm not a fan of the TSA as a whole, I've had many positive experiences as well. This one negative encounter just happened to be relevant to this forum, so I decided to share.

(Pike County)

Next time could you drive instead of flying? I know it would take longer but sometimes it's easier. Road trips can be fun.

(Northampton County)

Nothing like that has ever happened to me either.

They always search my bags but it's because I bring my own food with me. Canned food drives them crazy. They think it's bombs. I caught on to it after a while. Since you get to watch TSA check your stuff at ABE, I finally asked them straight out if it was the cans. They said yes. They swab them every time and throw in the "We touched your stuff and liked it" ticket.

What did happen to me twice is this. (NOTE: These were return trips, no cans in the luggage either time) I check in at one of the airports where TSA is not at the ticket/baggage counter. I say I need to declare a firearm, and they resond, "Do you want to check it in your baggage or are you going to take it on the plane?"

Now, what I want to say is, "Can you explain my options to me?" But, what I really say is, "I'm checking them in my bags."

(^that actually happened twice as well, not just the next part.)

So, they check it, I put it back in the suitcase, and they throw it on the conveyor. I ask, "Isn't TSA going to want me to open the suitcase for them to check the gun?"

Their response, "No, you're all done!"

I got through the security screening. As soon as I get through, I very faintly hear over the PA that they are calling my name back to the ticketing counter. I could barely hear it. So I leave the secured area and go back to the counter. They want me to open the bag so that TSA and check my gun. Mind you, I am using a TSA approved lock on the suitcase (not the gun). I open the suitcase, TSA is happy, now I have to go through the security screening point all over again.

The second time this happened to me, everything went the same way. I asked them at the counter if TSA will have to see my gun and they say no. Shortly after I make it through the security screening they call me back to the ticket counter. Just great. I leave the secured area. I get to the counter and they say TSA wants to see your gun, wait here. TSA comes out and says, "Sorry, we waited, but we finally cut the lock." Whatever. I get to my destination, they cut my "TSA Approved" lock off of my suitcase but left my non-TSA approved lock on my gun case intact.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    "Do you want to check it in your baggage or are you going to take it on the plane?"
    I feel like there should be a Bill Engvall "Here's your sign" bit here...

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    The second time this happened to me, everything went the same way. I asked them at the counter if TSA will have to see my gun and they say no. Shortly after I make it through the security screening they call me back to the ticket counter. Just great. I leave the secured area. I get to the counter and they say TSA wants to see your gun, wait here. TSA comes out and says, "Sorry, we waited, but we finally cut the lock." Whatever. I get to my destination, they cut my "TSA Approved" lock off of my suitcase but left my non-TSA approved lock on my gun case intact.
    It's not convenient for me to look the regulation up now, but last time I looked at the TSA firearms transport regs it said that they had to inspect the firearm in your presence and that you were required to lock the case.

TSA is notorious for not following it's own rules, but this makes me wonder whether something changed, or they're just being stupid (more likely the latter).
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

I'm really curious what would have happened if you plead the 5th to the intrusive questions? Remember don't talk to the police/TSA.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast