Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Traveled to Florida with my firearm

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    "Sorry, we waited, but we finally cut the lock." Whatever. I get to my destination, they cut my "TSA Approved" lock off of my suitcase but left my non-TSA approved lock on my gun case intact.
    Color me confused. I thought that the whole purpose of TSA approved locks was so they could open them.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by NRA Recruiter View Post
    Color me confused. I thought that the whole purpose of TSA approved locks was so they could open them.
    I know. And I thought they opened my suitcase to see my gun. But my gun case was still locked with a non-TSA approved lock.

There have been times when TSA at various airports (return trips) have opened and relocked this same lock outside of my presence to search my bags. They left the "We touched your stuff and liked it" notes.

(Dauphin County)

I know. And I thought they opened my suitcase to see my gun. But my gun case was still locked with a non-TSA approved lock.
    Ah, I thought they had cut the lock off your gun case. My mistake.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by twency View Post
    Ah, I thought they had cut the lock off your gun case. My mistake.
    It's very confusing with all the TSA locks, non-TSA locks, TSA doesn't want to see your gun, come back to the counter so TSA can see your gun, "Would you like to carry the gun on the plane with you?", we cut your TSA lock to see your gun but didn't cut your non-TSA lock so that we could see it for real...

Yeah. It gets confusing. I'm not even sure I got it right. I think that was their plan!!!

(Delaware County)

Question Re: Traveled to Florida with my firearm

Have not attempted to fly with my weapon so haven't researched the process. From reading this thread I now have an idea about the firearm part, but what about the ammo? Is is prohibited? If not, can it remain in a mag? Must it be locked and stored separately whether in/out of mag, etc??

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gman106 View Post
    Have not attempted to fly with my weapon so haven't researched the process. From reading this thread I now have an idea about the firearm part, but what about the ammo? Is is prohibited? If not, can it remain in a mag? Must it be locked and stored separately whether in/out of mag, etc??
    http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...rial_1666.shtm
    Travelers must securely pack any ammunition in fiber (such as cardboard), wood or metal boxes or other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

I flew out to the rocky mts. a few years back with my ruger redhawk. kept the firearm in a lockable case, along with a box of black hills ammo in there also.

I don't recall if the TSA made me open the case or not, but they did send it through an x-ray machine and the guys operating it were taking guesses as to what kind of revolver it was.

Overall, no issues and nothing negative to report.

Quote Originally Posted by Gman106 View Post

(Northampton County)

This is a pretty good write-up on traveling with firearms:

http://www.8541tactical.com/flyingfirearms.php

Make sure to read the TSA regs AND the airline regs before you travel as well. Handgunlaw.us has convenient links at the top regarding travel, including some airline links.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by chiefdjs View Post
    I have flown over 20 times during last three years with a handgun. I have flown in and out of Philadelphia, Louisville, Allentown, Chicago O'Hara, Atlanta, Cleveland, Newark NJ to name a few airports. I have never had any issues checking a handgun but try and stay with US Air, Southwest, or Delta.
    This is an interesting one... How did that work out?

(Bucks County)

Nothing like that has ever happened to me either.

They always search my bags but it's because I bring my own food with me. Canned food drives them crazy. They think it's bombs. I caught on to it after a while. Since you get to watch TSA check your stuff at ABE, I finally asked them straight out if it was the cans. They said yes. They swab them every time and throw in the "We touched your stuff and liked it" ticket.

What did happen to me twice is this. (NOTE: These were return trips, no cans in the luggage either time) I check in at one of the airports where TSA is not at the ticket/baggage counter. I say I need to declare a firearm, and they resond, "Do you want to check it in your baggage or are you going to take it on the plane?"

Now, what I want to say is, "Can you explain my options to me?" But, what I really say is, "I'm checking them in my bags."

(^that actually happened twice as well, not just the next part.)

So, they check it, I put it back in the suitcase, and they throw it on the conveyor. I ask, "Isn't TSA going to want me to open the suitcase for them to check the gun?"

Their response, "No, you're all done!"

I got through the security screening. As soon as I get through, I very faintly hear over the PA that they are calling my name back to the ticketing counter. I could barely hear it. So I leave the secured area and go back to the counter. They want me to open the bag so that TSA and check my gun. Mind you, I am using a TSA approved lock on the suitcase (not the gun). I open the suitcase, TSA is happy, now I have to go through the security screening point all over again.

The second time this happened to me, everything went the same way. I asked them at the counter if TSA will have to see my gun and they say no. Shortly after I make it through the security screening they call me back to the ticket counter. Just great. I leave the secured area. I get to the counter and they say TSA wants to see your gun, wait here. TSA comes out and says, "Sorry, we waited, but we finally cut the lock." Whatever. I get to my destination, they cut my "TSA Approved" lock off of my suitcase but left my non-TSA approved lock on my gun case intact.
    TSA cut one of my TSA friendly locks once. When I got home, I went to Home Depot where I bought it and told the employee that I went out of my way to buy an expensive TSA friendly lock at Home Depot and TSA could not open it so they cut it. Home depot took the cut lock back and replaced it free of charge with a new one.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast