Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default hi-point? what do you think?

hey all nice sight seem like alot of knowledge here. just bought a hi-pointc9 was wondering if anyone has personal experiance with this weapon? have heard all kinds of stuff what do you all think? also does anyone know of a sob holster for this?

Default Re: hi-point? what do you think?

Hi points will send lead down range. We used to sell a bunch of them...I never heard any complaints from the owners of hi points...some people are gun snobs, so don't let that deter you from enjoying your weapon. If you can afford $200 I would recommend upgrading to a Makarov...battle tested and a great pistol.

I don't like how bulky the hi points are...I suppose if you run out of ammo and the attacker is near you...you could beat him to death with the hi point...they do feel like synthetic bricks.

Trying to find a holster that will fit will be very difficult. I sold a hi point 45 to a guy and the only holster that would fit was designed for a 6" revolver.

thanks for the response new to the whole handgun thing have fired a few different ones over the years but never owned one till now took the wife awhile. anyway are holsters exactly model specific or can you use ones made for an auto of that barrell size any suggestions on a nice compact .45 or9mm when money permits?

For holsters, all you need to do is a google search, I came up with Cheaper then Dirt... http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/40277-48215-2276.html

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/holst...rd.asp?Make=28 and chose the model high-point you have in the list
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Tioga County)

Default compacts

Generally speaking holsters are model specific. note that a holster for a 1911 pistol will usually work for any mfg 1911 pistol. A 38 revolver with a 4" barrel is quite generic. S&W pistols come in 3 basic frame sizes, J,K,L so a holster for a J frame then look for barrel length.

You didn't state what the usage would be for the compact. If it's for carry, you might want to consider a sub-compact. The best advice I can suggest is go to a gun store that stocks a lot of them and give them the "fondle" test. Once you get it down to 3 or 4 see if there is a range where you can rent the models your looking at. Let your hand decide what fits. Fit is I think the most important thing. if it doesn't fit your hand you will not be able to fire it accurately. accuracy is king.

Quote Originally Posted by kdoyle10876 View Post
    thanks for the response new to the whole handgun thing have fired a few different ones over the years but never owned one till now took the wife awhile. anyway are holsters exactly model specific or can you use ones made for an auto of that barrell size any suggestions on a nice compact .45 or9mm when money permits?

You guys must not know what a hi point is...it's a very thick pistol....finding a holster to fit for carry purposes will be difficult. If you have the hi point...I strongly suggest bringing it with you to the gun shop and try to test out various holsters.

(Westmoreland County)

I would consider a hi-point for a fun pistol. They are bulky as hell but you could probably find a cheap Uncle Mike's holster to fit it. You'll definitely need to bring the pistol in though since the sizes they list on the packages are EXTREMELY vague. Listing holsters by caliber is about as useful as a 2nd a-hole. Let us know how you like the pistol.

Also, check out http://www.hipointforums.com/ for some good info and hi-point enthusiasts.

(Luzerne County)

I had a High Point 9mm, it came with a laser and a large muzzle brake. The thing was CRAZY loud due to the brake but it was a fun, cheap gun. It shot most loads without a fuss but would jam every now and then with some HP fodder so probably not a good choice for carry. I liked the large frame as I tend to like large pistols. I used it mostly to harras my cats (with the laser-not lead ) and shot it when new but seldom after that. I kept it for a few years and got nearly all my money back when I sold it. For carry or long term keeping I would opt for a Makarov or save a little and grab a used Taurus as long as the trigger wasn't really heavy (Taurus). For a fun gun for very little cash in a variety of calibers the High Point is a winner (in my book).

(Clarion County)

Quote Originally Posted by kdoyle10876 View Post

At the risk of sounding like a gun snob there are a lot beter options thna the high point pistol for the money.
    For a little under 200 bucks you can have a star BM. All steel spanish military pistol.
    Single action only. Very simple for the inexperienced. Also like was suggested beofre the makarov is a fantastic weapon. In terms of reliability it is the unparalelled.
    For a full size 9mm I suggest the Star BS. Almost identical in size and shape to a 1911. Both of these star pistols are available from www.cdnninvestments.com for 159.00 plush shipping/pics/tax etc. I own all three of the pistols I suggested and find them to be uber reliable. Overall comfort and personal preference going to the BM.
    Also for around 150.bucks you can buy quite a few other milsurp handguns.
    (CZ 52,CZ 70,P64) All of of higher quality and durability than the high point.
    However with milsurp stuff you get no warranty and usually worn finishes. If you like to tinker like me this is actually an upside. If you dont High Point's warranty may sound appealing.
    Also do not overlook the Bersa thunder 380 for a value priced handgun that is reliable,accurate an deasy to conceal.
    An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine!I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force,nor is it wise for such a person to expect it!
    Isaiah Ambrey
    If you think you have the right not to be offended. I suggest you promptly purchase a toe attachment and a twelve gauge. One time use is all that is necessary.

(Allegheny County)

Incase this helps anyone....Here is what they look like:

The C9 - 9MM:

The JHP - 45ACP:
    "Ya only need legs to kick ass baby boy" - Bartender in Feast III

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast