Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Washington County)

Default Interesting experiance at the airport this past weekend

Was doing some travel with my wifes family this weekend, and had no issues with declaring a firearm and all that. What we did find odd, is that after we were on our way to the gate, after "security", my wife's boarding pass, that we got at the counter, was actually for her sister. Who has a different name. First and last.

And it had the check marks from the TSA guy where he looked at her DL and the pass. The girls at the gate got her the right one, but no one put together the whole got past "security" with a ticket and a different license thing.

Uncle Sam's Kabuki is in full effect..... My sis-in-law started to complain about how horrible it was for safety, and my wife reminded her that it isnt security, its conditioning. I tossed in the fact that they started doing stops in roads... and at least that got the gears riding in her mom's head.

Philadelphia, and proud of it., Pennsylvania
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Interesting experiance at the airport this past weekend

Azzy, what airport and airline were you flying? I'm glad to see you didn't have problems with the firearm declaration, just curious to see who is doing it right.

-cc

FWIW, I've checked handguns a couple of times at Philly and once at Harrisburg. No hassles. Just leave yourself a few extra minutes for your bag to clear the TSA screening. And stay away from the New York City / Newark airports at all costs.

(Armstrong County)

From Azzy's location, i would guess Pittsburgh International.

Airlines would have nothing to due with the firearm....other than loosing it or running it over....at least at Pitt Int. There is only one area to declare and check firearms by TSA.

I have never had an issue with checking a weapon. Most of the guys are pretty cool and wonder where you are going, what you are shooting, ask question about NFA items (picked up some suppressor sales from a few) ect.
    Give them the keys, they check it out the contents, allow my to look inside if they have moved a few thing to make sure it packed how i wanted it, lock it up for me, and check the case and bid me farewell.
    HGW, llc ~ Title 1 & NFA sales/manufacturing ~ Transfers - Title 1 $20 - NFA $50

(Berks County)

I'm surprised by the good experiences you all have had...must be a "domestic" flight thing...

Every time I fly, it's either for business (with film gear) or on holiday...with SCUBA gear. Mostly out of CONUS.

There has not been a single time in recent memory when even a well-packed, three-inch, single-sided SCUBA knife hasn't caused me problems of one kind or another. God forbid I pack batteries for the camera.

And coming back into CONUS is worse...once, I literally had to COMPLETELY unpack every single item, and declare its use and reason for possession. (Seriously.)

You guys especially clean-cut? Or are firearms so commonplace that they "skate on through"?
    USAF 77-79, SAC, DMAFB, 390 MIMS, Titan II Crew Chief

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
    my wife reminded her that it isnt security, its conditioning.
    Sad but true. I wonder if this BS will ever change if we get a more sane administration or is this the path set and no matter who's elected, they must fall into compliance with the shadow government agenda?
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=22341&dateline=139092  6582

[QUOTE=Cherokee60;1874714]I'm surprised by the good experiences you all have had...must be a "domestic" flight thing...

Every time I fly, it's either for business (with film gear) or on holiday...with SCUBA gear. Mostly out of CONUS.

There has not been a single time in recent memory when even a well-packed, three-inch, single-sided SCUBA knife hasn't caused me problems of one kind or another. God forbid I pack batteries for the camera.

And coming back into CONUS is worse...once, I literally had to COMPLETELY unpack every single item, and declare its use and reason for possession. (Seriously.)

You guys especially clean-cut? Or are firearms so commonplace that they "skate on through"?[/QUOTE]

So long as you secure them according to TSA regulations they really have nothing to cause an issue about. I've traveled to several other states with a firearm and have never had even an iota of trouble. One time they even seemed excited/happy about it. I suppose the break in routine in Green Bay was a welcomed change.

In your case your traveling from outside the CONUS and that changes things. Or their simply jealous. I'd be too if I had to sit inside an airport all day and along comes a guy with some very cool stuff coming back from some very cool place. Off topic, I used to live outside Miami and spent a lot of time underwater in the Keys....I sure miss that, and the free lobsters.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by Cherokee60 View Post

You guys especially clean-cut? Or are firearms so commonplace that they "skate on through"?
    Dont know about clean cut.. leather jacket, mighty beard (TM), and general look of "its too damn early to be awake and dealing with the feds" when traveling.

Airports were PIT and MCO. Pittsburgh checked the bag and all, let me lock it after the check. Orlando just tosses it through an xray, let me lock it, no problems. Only trouble I ever had coming through security was TSA security, in Canada, coming from Tokyo, for peanut butter we had in our checked luggage, which got me questioning and a lot of smart ass comments form the blue gloved overlord. Batteries, pocket knives, holsters (still worn) and all sort of electronics, and no issues.

Nice bit too, Orlando does not have the nude photo boxes, guess they dont want to scare off tourism. At the Pittsburgh one, I had to get in line and stand in a small secured area by myself behind a guard... so I stood there with my hands behind my head. The guard asked, "are you OK, you look like you are under arrest", to which I replied.. "might as well be."

Quote Originally Posted by Cherokee60 View Post
    I'm surprised by the good experiences you all have had...must be a "domestic" flight thing...
    It is. The regulations on checking firearms on an International flight are a whole other thing. Beginning with, you need to prove that you are legal to possess it at your destination.

(Berks County)

To ErSwnn: grew up in Merritt Island. Swam with "Mitzi" (remember "Flipper"?) in 1968...always loved the water.

To Azzy: I sort of look like a "south of the border drug lord". Biker lifestyle and a prominent distrust for all authority types...

To DonM: Heck, they'd probably shoot me for askin'!
    Last edited by Cherokee60; January 26th, 2012 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Incomplete...
    USAF 77-79, SAC, DMAFB, 390 MIMS, Titan II Crew Chief

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast