Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Knife/sword laws of PA

NEW!: I brought my stuff to the local police, and with the help of the info you guys have given me, found and proved that i am aloud to carry everything i have
    Thank You much,
    The One And Only Grim

Knife/Sword Law Question

I have been wondering if there are any specific laws on the carrying of swords and knives

I want to wear an outfit to an event, consisting of

2 sheathed swords (18" blade, sharpened)
    a machette (18" un-sharpened)
    2 throwing knives (3" sharp)
    3 daggers (4" un-sharp)
    and 2 folding knives (2.5" sharp)
    TOTAL of 10 blades

they will be on a belt, fully exposed, all sheathed, and the machette on back, sheathed with a clasp to prevent it from comming out readily
    throwing knives are clasped, and I suck at throwing them anyways.

is there any law thats could prevent me from wearing this in public view. also is there a law on how many I am aloud to cary at a time ( there are laws in Japan that state that a person can carry 3 swords legaly)

also note that Im not of nor in the Philadelphia area, and certain laws pertaining to that area dont affect me
    Last edited by Grim; February 5th, 2008 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Found what I needed.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Knife/sword laws of PA

I want to see this. Where's the event?
    Any mission, any conditions, any foe at any range.
    Twice the mayhem, triple the force.
    Ten times the action, total hardcore.

(Allegheny County)

If it is a costume party, I would certainly reccomend going to a costume store and picking up some fake ones to take instead. Sharpened weapons at a party with lots of people (perhaps including yourself) drinking. Just like going to somewhere with a real firearm as a prop, that might be a bad idea. Alot of people who ASSUME that it was fake and would have no issue coming up and trying to pull your weapon out of the holster or sheath just jackassing around.

(Lehigh County)

sorry for the long responce, lol this isnt a costume party of any sort, its a privite gathering of friends , and there is no drinking at all, we are having a gathering for martial arts, im going mainly to learn how to use my throwing knives correctly, drunkeness wont help

i just need to know about the laws

(Jefferson County)

They are covered under the prohibited offensive weapons.

§908. Prohibited offensive weapons.

(a) Offense defined.-A person commits a misdemeanor of the first degree if, except as authorized by law, he makes repairs, sells, or otherwise deals in, uses, or possesses any offensive weapon.

(b) Exceptions.*

(1) It is a defense under this section for the defendant to prove by a preponderance of evidence that he possessed or dealt with the weapon solely as a curio or in a dramatic performance, or that, with the exception of a bomb, grenade or incendiary device, he complied with the National Firearms Act (26 U.S.C. §5801 et seq.), or that he possessed it briefly in consequence of having found it or taken it from an aggressor, or under circumstances simi*larly negativing any intent or likelihood that the weapon would be used unlawfully.

(2) This section does not apply to police forensic firearms experts or police forensic firearms laboratories. Also exempt from this section are forensic firearms experts or forensic firearms laboratories operating in the ordinary course of business and engaged in lawful operation who notify in writing, on an annual basis, the chief or head of any police force or police department of a city, and, elsewhere, the sheriff of a county in which they are located, of the possession, type and use of offensive weapons.

(3) This section shall not apply to any person who makes, repairs, sells or otherwise deals in, uses or possesses any firearm for purposes not prohibited by the laws of this Commonwealth.

(c) Definitions.-As used in this section, the following words and phrases shall have the meanings given to them in this subsection:

"Firearm." Any weapon which is designed to or may readily be converted to expel any projectile by the action of an explosive, or the frame or receiver of any such weapon. "Offensive weapons" Any bomb, grenade, machine gun, sawed-off shotgun with a barrel less than 18 inches, firearm specially made or specially adapted for concealment or silent discharge, any blackjack, sandbag, metal knuckles, dagger, knife, razor or cutting instrument,( <-note the comma) the blade of which is exposed in an automatic way by switch, push-button, spring mecha*nism, or otherwise, any stun gun, stun baton, taser or other electronic or electric weapon or other implement for the infliction of serious bodily injury which serves no common lawful purpose.

(d) Exemptions.-The use and possession of blackjacks by the following persons in the course of their duties are exempt from this section:

(1) Police officers, as defined by and who meet the requirements of the act of June 18, 1974 (PL. 359, No. 120), referred to as the Municipal Police Education and Training Law.

(2) Police officers of first class cities who have successfully completed training which is substantially equivalent to the program under the Municipal Police Education and Training Law.

(3) Pennsylvania State Police officers.

(4) Sheriffs and deputy sheriffs of the various counties who have satisfactorily met the requirements of the Municipal Police Education and Training Law.

(5) Police officers employed by the Commonwealth who have satisfactorily met the requirements of the Municipal Police Education and Training Law.

(6) Deputy sheriffs with adequate training as determined by the Pennsylvania Commis*sion on Crime and Delinquency.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lehigh County)

ty for that post, but i need a broader portion of it, it still doesnt define if its legal to cary it in full view, also it said in firearms "firearm specially made or specially adapted for concealment" it seems that this paragraph pertains to concealed weapons. also, acording to this, it says i cant carry any wepon in terms that i dont need to for a job, though im legaly aloud to cary a folding knife on me, can you give me the source of this info, so i can do further research plz

ALSO

(b) Exceptions.*

(1) It is a defense under this section for the defendant to prove by a preponderance of evidence that he possessed or dealt with the weapon solely as a curio or in a dramatic performance

as defined, "dramatic performance" can be said for training, and i was a trainer at Pittsburgh Martial Arts Academy and a trainer in sword fighting school in Spring City, and i have a certified trainers degree from the Academy of Arms in Los Angeles

it also says "Offencive" wepons, martial arts are defencive, and i was trained and train in defence, and since i couldnt hit Mt. Everest even if i were 5 and a quarter feet away from it with my knives, dont pose a threat to any armed officer nor citizen, less of corse they decide to get upclose and personal :-)

if i kept my degree on me and had good reason to carry them, would i be ok?
    Last edited by Grim; February 3rd, 2008 at 12:15 AM.

(Lehigh County)

NOTE:

i jus found a site that contains most of that info, but its for Philadelphia area only.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    dagger, knife, razor or cutting instrument, the blade of which is exposed in an automatic way by switch, push-button, spring mechanism, or otherwise
    So I guess it boils down to how your folding knives are operated: Do they fold/unfold manually (in which case they would be allowed), or are they switchblades or similar-type knives?

(Lehigh County)

lol dont worry, i carry all legal knives, none are opened by switch or push button, nor by gravity, or by any other mechanism.
    all must be opened by hand and have an amount of resistance, all others are set blades, and are sheathed

(Jefferson County)

I think there is a law in the unconsolidated statutes that says something about the blade needing to be shorter than the width of your hand. ...bear with me as I do some digging.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast