Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default SAM Military 1911

Yesterday I stopped in TreeLine sports near Norristown and had a nice long random firearm conversation with the owner, Pete. He seemed like a good guy.

I mentioned that I liked 1911's, so he showed me a SAM Military. It's a mil-spec 1911 so it's not that expensive ($420 or so, I think?). It felt good in my hand and the action seemed smooth, but I'm not a big fan of buying brands I'm not familiar with until I do a little more research.

I couldn't find a lot of people talking about them on the internet (just a random mention here and there).

Have any of you guys owned one (or known anyone who have owned one)?

Default Re: SAM Military 1911

Quote Originally Posted by PaTom View Post
    Yesterday I stopped in TreeLine sports near Norristown and had a nice long random firearm conversation with the owner, Pete. He seemed like a good guy.

I mentioned that I liked 1911's, so he showed me a SAM Military. It's a mil-spec 1911 so it's not that expensive ($420 or so, I think?). It felt good in my hand and the action seemed smooth, but I'm not a big fan of buying brands I'm not familiar with until I do a little more research.

I couldn't find a lot of people talking about them on the internet (just a random mention here and there).

Have any of you guys owned one (or known anyone who have owned one)?
    456 - Unless that is a SS gun thats a bit over price, you can get a RAI tactical for that price. I bought my customized SAM two tone, checker fore and back scrap, target sights, extened beaver tail, and more dress out used for $389 about 5 years ago. I think RAIs mil spec 1911 is $360 NIB. Bargains are bargains but is it the best bang for your money?

Default Re: SAM Military 1911

Shooters Arms Manufacturing (S.A.M.) is one of three major manufacturers of 1911s in the Philippines (along with Armscor and Metro Arms). Metro is a VERY new company, about two years since start-up. Both S.A.M. and Armscor have been around for a long time, and I don't know which company is older. The reason you see more Armscor (Rock Island) 1911s is that Armscor started their own company in the U.S. (Advanced Tactical Firearms) to import and distribute them. S.A.M. has sold to other U.S. importer/distributors, who have not done a good job promoting them.

I've known about them for over 20 years, but I only just recently actually handled one (two, actually) "up close and personal." I haven't shot either yet, but they both appear to be very well-made, solid pistols. Neither of the two I've seen is the GI model. One is their Commander and, unless it turns out to be a complete turkey when I test fire it, in all probability it'll follow me home.