Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Question I want to learn about revolvers

I pretty much know nothing about revolvers. I've shot two in my life with a few shots through each. And now I'm fairly satisfied with my collection of semi autos and want to start looking into wheelguns. I know how to pick out a pistol by seeing how it feels in my hand and if I can work the safety and other controls. But what I want to know is where to start with a revolver? What brand to choose? I know Smith & Wesson make good guns but they're a bit pricey IMO. So what about Taurus or Ruger? And what models from these companies? Are there other good manufacturers out there other than the ones I have listed?
    I'd prefer a .357 but I'm open to alternatives.

The gun I end up choosing will most likely just be a range gun and HD gun but there is a possibility of being carried.

Thanks in advance for your help!

UPDATE: I finally got myself a wheel gun! And here it is! Ruger GP100 6" .357 Mag.
    Last edited by SigSauer226; April 6th, 2013 at 08:30 AM.

The End of Josiah's Railroad, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)

Default Re: I want to learn about revolvers

I have a Ruger Super Redhawk, which is basically a big brother to the GP100. I like it and find that it is pretty easy to break down into the major components and to swap out springs.

Richland Township (Bucks County) PA, Pennsylvania
    (Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Breadman03 View Post
    I have a Ruger Super Redhawk, which is basically a big brother to the GP100. I like it and find that it is pretty easy to break down into the major components and to swap out springs.
    So wait, clarify for me here - the Super Redhawk isn't a Single action revolver, but the Super Blackhawk is?

Not to hijack your thread OP - but hopefully we'll both learn something more about wheelguns! :-D

Also, everyone should own a J-frame, IMO.
    "More is lost through indecision than wrong decision"

(Luzerne County)

Smiths can be pricey. Look used.

Rugers are good. But they are not Smiths. They are very good guns. But I think the Smith edges them out in style.

Taurus. You either like them or you hate them. I have several. I have not had issues with them.

Colts are also good. Even used are pricey.

Dan Wessons are also good. Not always easy to find. The prices really vary.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Lycoming County)

My first gun was a Taurus Tracker in .357 Magnum and I still love it.
    The nice thing about the .357 Mag is you can also shoot .38 Spl out of it if you want to shoot something less expensive and with less recoil.
    The .357 Mag does have a lot of bounce to it, especially when shot out of a shorter barreled gun.

I have the Taurus Tracker, the Ruger SP101, and a S&W 386 Airlite in .357 and enjoy them all.

The nice thing about the revolver is they are less complicated and there is less to go wrong.

I have never had a revolver not fire.

Remember, the shorter the barrel the more recoil will be felt.

The lighter the gun, the more recoil will be felt.

I like the single action/double action (SA/DA) revolvers better than the single action because you just point and pull the trigger.

And a double action only has a hidden hammer so you cannot pull the hammer back manually - your only option is pull the trigger.

A single action you must first pull the hammer back before pulling the trigger.

S&W and Ruger are the big names in the revolver business.

Some others include Taurus, Comanche, and Charter Arms.

I love my Taurus Tracker but I had a Taurus M94 .22 SA/DA revolver which I did not like.

Charter Arms and Comanche I do not know anything about.

Unless you are going to conceal carry I would recommend a 4 inch barrel or longer to give you a better sight line and reduce recoil.

Remember, used is another way to go and can get you a nice Smith or Ruger for a better price.

Ruger's single action revolvers are the Black Hawk line and the rest are all double action (Red Hawk, SP101, and GP100).

I hope that helps out.

The great thing about them would be they are so much less complicated than a semi auto.

Just some thoughts ...

God bless!!

PPP
    I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. - Jesus Christ

(Delaware County)

Thumbs up

[QUOTE=RHGregory3;1876138]So wait, clarify for me here - the Super Redhawk isn't a Single action revolver, but the Super Blackhawk is?

SRH is double action.

SBH is single action.

Punch up the Ruger website, look under "firearms" and they're all listed there.

Wheelguns both single and double action are cool guns and a lot of fun to shoot.

Don't overlook a .22 wheelgun. Very cool, totally fun and $$cheap$$ to shoot!

Fun for when you take a kid shootin' with ya.

Smith's are pricey, however, they sure are sweet guns. Ruger single actions are way cool, Ruger double actions are totally nice too, perhaps not as ... nope. I'm not gonna say it. Beauty is in the eye of the one lookin at it.

One model I have is a Ruger Blackhawk Convertible. Comes with 2 cylinders. A .357mag and 9mm. Both shoot very well. The 9mm is accurate out of mine, but I have seen reports from some who say theirs isn't. Another way to blast through 9mm ammo.

All my revolvers shoot well using cast, plated or jacketed bullets. It's fun to work up different loads for them.

I can't speak for Taurus or Colt, I don't own any.

(Mercer County)

Ruger: Super Red Hawk is double action; Black Hawks are Single Action.

IMHO: The Rolls Royce of revolvers is the Korth these are very hard to find used

Followed by the Colt, Smith and Wesson, & Dan Wesson revolvers which can be easily found in the used firearms market.

Then comes the Rugers followed by the Taurus, Rossi, Charter Arms, etc.
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

(Monroe County)

Op, for what you need it for i.e range use look into a Ruger GP100, tough as nails and will outlast any Smith made, perfect for range use, get one in 4 inch barrel.

THe Smiths are very nicely built and very beautiful but they are not as tough as a Ruger GP 100 especially in the "K" frame line.

The Taurus 66 is a good tough Gun too for even a better price. THe forcing cone on a Taurus 66 is more than double the size of the one on a Smith 66.

Forget about Korth, a basic Korth is $5000, a premium one is $12,000 you do not want to shoot that as a range gun.

A colt Revolver is not strong enough for range use as beautiful as they are.

Charter arms now makes the Bulldog in a 4 inch barrel with adjustable sights, its their target version , look into those too.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post
    Op, for what you need it for i.e range use look into a Ruger GP100, tough as nails and will outlast any Smith made, perfect for range use, get one in 4 inch barrel.
    5 thumbs up to what mrnyman stated!

The GP100 is a great revolver.

I have been watching for one used for myself.

Good call.

God bless!!

PPP
    I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. - Jesus Christ

(Clarion County)

Plenty of good used revolvers around. This link has been around but worth repeating: http://thefiringline.com/Misc/librar...ver-check.html Suggest if there's a usage gap in your pistols fill it with the revolver. Maybe a 2" snubnose or 6 to 8" piece for in the field. Like most things one probably won't be enough.
    Last edited by cephas; January 27th, 2012 at 03:49 PM. Reason: spelling
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast