Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Philly Mayor Nutter on New Anti-gun Campaign

I really fail to see the problem. Offering reward money to catch killers or people who sell/use illegally possessed guns is fine by me.

Nutters quote very clearly says he's targeting criminals that use guns. Not guns themselves.

As a guy living in the Philly metro area, unless there's more sinister things that the article is not reporting on, i'm fine with this.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog46 View Post
    Maybe if Nutter told his people to quit acting like animals and look to someone like Herman cain or Allen west as a role model instead of the Notorios BIGG or Tu pac shakur we would not have this problem.
    He did that. Very publically.

Last edited by Valorius; January 27th, 2012 at 01:24 PM.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Valorius View Post
    I really fail to see the problem. Offering reward money to catch killers or people who sell/use illegally possessed guns is fine by me.

Nutters quote very clearly says he's targeting criminals that use guns. Not guns themselves.

As a guy living in the Philly metro area, unless there's more sinister things that the article is not reporting on, i'm fine with this.
    Ok, since you're ok with it. Ill just send an anonymous tip to the PPD that I've noticed you carrying and owning more guns than "normal".

I think they might be illegal since they are very big and BLACK!

You don't mind a quick search and some interviews down at the station to explain yourself, do you?

In fact, If I call you in once a week, that might just be enough to revoke your LTCF under the character clause for being "suspicious"

Sure, no problem. Go for it. My guns are all legal, and i am under no obligation to answer my door for the po po anyway. I am sure that once i showed them my LTCF they would quickly realize i'm not a criminal illegally carrying guns. (Seriously, do you think you could use a more extreme example? LOL)

Do keep in mind filing false reports is a crime, and some people do actually get charged with that.

Quote Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
    Ya know, the law is all about wording, I wonder if someone arrested for an "illegal gun" could beat the rap since there isn't any I know of, only people carrying legal guns illegally.
    Wow, my first time disagreeing with you.

Is a gun with an obliterated serial number not illegal? Is a 'zip' gun that's manufactured illegally not illegal? Is a sawed off un register shot gun not illegal?

There are such things as illegal guns.
    Last edited by Valorius; January 27th, 2012 at 01:31 PM.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Valorius View Post

Do keep in mind filing false reports is a crime, and some people do actually get charged with that.
    Except these are anonymous tips, and those are probably exempt. After all, you wouldn't want to charge the people making the tips, right?

Just remember, the PPD don't know you, you're carrying a gun, and you could be a criminal, Junior.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Philadelphia County)

I dislike Nutter as much as the next person here, but I don't mind seeing the result of the new proposal. I understand the concerns people a voicing here, but I'm not convinced that putting money out there to catch known criminals using bounties and seeking jail terms for criminals that give gun owners bad names are bad ideas.

What we have been criticizing for a while is the "no snitching" problem with witnesses. People KNOW who did it, but they are afraid to come forward. With a $20,000 bounty, maybe that will change. The same may happen with the $500 reward for illegal sale/possession of (stolen) guns. I especially like the idea of seeking jail time instead of plea bargaining, which seems to be the norm in the past. This has also been a major criticism against the way Philadelphia has been handling criminal cases, i.e. enforcing the law to fullest extent.

As for the concern of law abiding gun owners getting into trouble, one possibility is that the PPD can train the dispatcher/investigators to ask the right questions before sending cops out. A simple question of "how do you know it's an 'illegal gun'?" would be a good start.

Most importantly, they need to "do something about it", as the outlooks seem grim in Philly with murder and crime rates. At least no new laws are being introduced here, only increase efforts in enforcement is promised.

Al
    Last edited by mythaeus; January 27th, 2012 at 01:37 PM.
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama

I think Nutter is a great mayor, as far as big city D mayors go. The man clearly cares, which puts him head and shoulders above most of his contemporaries.

He is also well spoken and articulate, which puts him head and shoulders above most of the rest.

Compared to Goode or Street, he is a veritable rocket scientist.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Except these are anonymous tips, and those are probably exempt. After all, you wouldn't want to charge the people making the tips, right?

Just remember, the PPD don't know you, you're carrying a gun, and you could be a criminal, Junior.
    I rather suspect that someone making repeated bad tips as Bimmer suggested would find himself not so anonymous.

I've been OC'ing lately, since the real Junior's victory. Call it a victory lap in his honor. Cops don't even bat an eye at me, and i've been carrying some pretty outlandish sidearms, on purpose.
    Last edited by Valorius; January 27th, 2012 at 01:38 PM.

Lets see, month of january not even over and Philly has had 31 murders.

Upping the reward money got us the Temple student killers and
    the punks that beat the old Vietnam vet... if more money works use it.

(Philadelphia County)

I never get hassled by philly cops and if I do they are older veteran leos. The younger guys don't pay any mind

(Montgomery County)

They got to do something to round up the animals down there that have no respect for human life.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog46 View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong, but the worst areas of philadelphia with the most gun violence are the areas that were most supportive of Obama?
    Where did you hear this?

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Can't something be done about these idiots giving away tax payer money in such a way?
    Tax payer money will be spent either way. An investigation and trial with little to no cooperation from the locals will easily cost $20,000 more than one where information is provided. I believe the article stated that for the $20,000 reward there must be an arrest and conviction. I have no problem with this at all.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast