Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Question of etiquette

I previously mentioned that I had sold my guns years ago due to financial hardship. The hardest to part with was my Delta Elite. Things have turned around somewhat and whenever I have extra income from a side job I usually get myself something.

Here's the scenario, a few Weeks back I was in the gunshop where I sold the DE. The guy that works there and I were talking, he said he remembers me selling it and knows the guy that bought it. It appears the guy is a regular. Would it be out of line to ask if he would contact the guy with my offer to buy it back? The figure I have in mind is in my opinion a fair, if not more than fair offer. I have a lot of sentimental value for the gun and I'm willing to pay more to have ”my” DE.

I think it could be viewed two different ways by the current owner. Either he thinks it's great that the shop would contract him giving the chance to get some cash or, almost as an invasion of privacy of sorts? What do you guys (girls) think?

Thanks

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Question of etiquette

I don't see a problem with letting the guy know that if he should decide to sell it to look you up. Even making an offer I dont think is a bad thing.

You are not demanding the gun back so why would it be a question of etiquette?

I had the same happening to me where I purchase a rifle from someone that was having financial difficulties, and after the storm had passed and he come up with some money, he asked me if I wanted to sell it to him. I did for the same price I bought it from him plus the transfer cost.

Hey it might be considering some other purchase and can perhaps use some more money.

I would try.
    E FLUCTIBUS IRRUIT IN HOSTEM. AECIDAE TELO IACET LIBATIS.

I don't think I would be offended if this happened to me. But don't be offended if he turns down your offer.

(Mercer County)

If I had purchased your "Delta" thru the firearm enabler I have been dealing for 40+ years I would have no problem with the shop owner asking me if I wanted to the sell the Delta S/N XXXXX I purchased from him 5 years ago used.

I would have a problem if he gave you my name or phone number; you don't need to know that information as the transaction would be handled thru the dealer. If I wanted to let the gun go I would drop it off at the shop for your inspection if your offer was close to what I wanted for the gun, I would tell the dealer my IN STONE price and if he sold for more than that he could keep the difference.
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

(Delaware County)

As long as the shop handled the contact and gave you no personal info, I see no problem.
    Rifle first, rifle last, rifle always.

Id let the store try talking to him, then let it be.
    Hold the Line...

(Lancaster County)

Thanks for the replies. I asked for opinions because somewhere out there is one that would be offended. I agree, the shop should be the one making any contact and I wouldn't want it any other way. It's his gun now and I have no hard feeling if he says no. I also didn't want the shop getting the impression I was looking at them as a pawn shop. I hope the guy bought it on a whim and is eyeing something else lol

(Berks County)

Obviously the shop making the contact is one route to consider.

If you sold the gun to the other person and merely used the shop to handle the paperwork, the other route might be if you still have a copy of the paperwork when you sold the gun to the other person.

If I were the other person, I wouldn't be offended if you contacted me directly and explained you got my name from the paperwork that was completed when you sold him/me the gun.

I agree if you advised me you got my name from the shop owner, I'd be upset with the shop owner for providing that info.

(Bucks County)

Personally if I liked the gun, I'd feel kinda bad if I got a phone call that the original owner wanted to buy it back....

I'd almost feel obligated to sell it back.

Maybe offer extra above what he paid as a "tip" for being willing to sell it back....make sure its worth his time to sell it back to you.
    "Stupid people are ruining America." --Herman Cain

I've bought a few guns from folks on this forum and I've told everyone of them that if they wished to purchase said firearm back at anytime, just ask.
    Firearms are usually held near and dear and many folks only sell them under duress or situations of not friendly terms. So to have a specific gun returned is a huge huge deal.

If I read your post right OP, you sold the gun to an FFL who in turn, sold it to a "regular" customer.

Given this scenario, the FFL should be the one's to make contact as you never sold the firearm to the customer directly.

I wish you luck in obtaing the Delta Elite back.

CL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast