Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Franklin County)

Default Taurus Public Defender Poly

I know most on here dont like the judges, but lets leave the bashing out of this thread please. I was wondering if anyone had seen or gotten to fondle/shoot the new polymer public defender?? Whats it like?? Recoil?

I dont want one btw, just caught my eye. Figured the 410 would beat it to hell and back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Python73 View Post
    Shoot what you like, like what you shoot.Own what you like, like what you own.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Taurus Public Defender Poly

Held one, shot one, made a kydex holster for one. The recoil sucks because the grip is a two-finger grip and I have the hands of a man. The owner actually had the frame break in front of the trigger guard, metal sub-frame and poly. He sent it back to Taurus and went back to the stainless version with the full-size grip, or as some would say, Plus-sized grip!! I like Taurus, but don't like that version of the Judge.

(Franklin County)

That was my fear. It would crack. Too bad. My buddy wants one for carry(i know I know) and HD.. And the light polyseems like it would win for carry.

(Franklin County)

Anyone else??

(Montgomery County)

I was looking into them a while ago, I like the idea of a 410 bean bag round as a warning shot.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Cookieman00x View Post
    I was looking into them a while ago, I like the idea of a 410 bean bag round as a warning shot.
    I really have to speak my piece on the above... warning shot??? Really? I am of the opinion that a warning shot is irresponsible, foolish and dangerous. The only possible rationale for a "warning shot" (your firearm is not a noise maker, well maybe yours is, but mine is not) is that an aggressor will somehow see the folly of their ways during a potentially lethal encounter and decide to stop. Nevermind the cascade of poor decisions made by the aggressor to het to that point (i.e. possibly being armed, threatening the life of another, pursuing a life of crime... etc).

Your first shot may be your only shot, if you are allowed even that luxury in a fight for life. If you follow that "logic" and have a bean bag round as your "warning shot" you are then left with four less effective rounds of ammunition before reloading. That is not my idea of a great way to set myself up for success.

I am not knocking the low round count, I regularly carry a firearm that "only" carries five rounds ready to fire. However, I would not sacrifice one of those to turn my defensive firearm into a "warning device" or some kind of "less lethal" kumbaya machine.

I am being harsh, yet I have a reason for it... defensive firearms are serious business. If one is pulling out their weapon and ready to fire that means lives are on the line and losing is not acceptable. One must also understand that when pulling a firearm and actually shooting or appearing as though one will shoot is clear to all others around that lethal force is being used. This appearance of lethal force is also very important to consider.

This is life or death stuff, there is no movie theatrics or chances for warning shots or any such nonsense. To quote a colloquialism; "the first warning shot should be for center of mass..."

Lets us get into the reductive argument for a minute to explore this topic from another perspective. Do aggressors give warning shots? Will a warning shot increase the effectiveness of a defensive firearm use? Will there always be time for a warning shot? Is it acceptable to be severely injured or have a loved one be seriously injured so that a warning shot can be made?

I do not own nor do I see any reason for "bean bag projectiles." I will continue to use copper and lead as a reasonable response to a lethal threat.

There is another pitfall to "less lethal" or beanbag rounds, over-use. The police today use their tasers as if it was some kind of easy button, resolving most situations. This is an uncivilized mindset that is akin to thuggery. Imagine the danger one places him/her self into when employing a firearm for the purpose of using a less lethal round. Any reasonable person seeing a real firearm deployed can assume that lethal force is at hand. Another person witnessing this could assume that their life is also in danger and deploy lethal force to mitigate the threat. In short, you make yourself a target to both well intentioned and ill intentioned actors.

Think your position out. I am glad to help by offering my critical approach...
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Monroe County)

My "warning shot" is a warning to the other bad-guys who want to try something stupid in my neighborhood.