Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Deputy Wildlife Conservation Officer Interstate carrying

Having a discussion with a buddy regarding a deputy WCO.... I read on the PA GAME COMMISSION website all the details in becoming a DWCO... and its a job you must REALLY love since it doesnt pay!

The Pennsylvania Civil Service Act, or the Commonwealth's Collective Bargaining Act, does not cover deputies. Deputies do not receive regular salary or wages, however, they may receive limited compensation for certain duties. History clearly has shown that, in the performance of their duties, deputies spend far more money than they make.

Nowhere in all the requirements and duties does it mention carrying a firearm...even tho it does say this:

" Deputy Wildlife Conservation Officers should be prepared to function in all phases of the Game Commission's activity and assume the powers as authorized by the Game and Wildlife Code"

But the question is this- would a DWCO have authority to carry across state borders without question? I cannot see a valid reason for doing so... he has been informed other wise...

THANKS IN ADVANCE!
    Gallagher Guns LLC Gun Shop/NRA Certified Instructor -Swiftwater

(Berks County)

Default Re: Deputy Wildlife Conservation Officer Interstate carrying

Last edited by johnpsu; January 25th, 2012 at 10:10 PM. Reason: added details.

(Monroe County)

VERY GOOD INFO JOHN.. thank you... sounds like my buddy wins the case of beer!

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by racingfast View Post
    VERY GOOD INFO JOHN.. thank you... sounds like my buddy wins the case of beer!
    Before you buy that case you might want to narrow down exactly what arrest powers a DCWO has to qualify for LEOSA (18 USC 926B), specifically:

§ 926B. Carrying of concealed firearms by qualified law enforcement officers
    (c) As used in this section, the term “qualified law enforcement officer” means an employee of a governmental agency who—
    (1) is authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of, or the incarceration of any person for, any violation of law, and has statutory powers of arrest;
    (2) is authorized by the agency to carry a firearm;
    Though it would appear that WCOs qualify due to their broad arrest powers, including for specific non-wildlife crimes (Title 18) under 34 Pa CS §901, it would seem that DWCOs have limited powers (§902).

Maybe someone will come along with more definitive information as to the DWCOs powers but, based on my cursory research, I'm not convinced.
    IANAL

You might also want to clarify the original question to indicate if you are asking about official, on-duty carry or personal carry when not on duty ...

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Greywolf View Post
    You might also want to clarify the original question to indicate if you are asking about official, on-duty carry or personal carry when not on duty ...
    GOOD POINT GREY! The conversation I am having is simply....off duty crossing PA state line to travel thru NY state (RT 84) to go north.

We all know our LTCF wont allow this. My bud, who travels 84 alot thought if he became a DWCO he could. I showed him all the schooling and testing and upfront purchases required-- including a 357 SIG which is the ONLY firearm they use....and IMHO there would be no reason OFF DUTY to cross the state line armed. He is just argumentative and I know we have loads of knowledge on this forum.

THANKS AGAIN! B

(Wyoming County)

DWCO,s are listed as volunteers...therefore no pay only expenses.

You will find you are not covered under HR218.

Sorry

In addition...WCO's are covered under MPOTEC...DWCO's are not.
    Last edited by capitolcop; January 26th, 2012 at 07:56 AM.

(Monroe County)

CAPITOL: and thank YOU... I am retracting my case of beer to my buddy.... I was right. Have a great DAY!

(Delaware County)

Hi racing.

Deputies have full arrest powers and enforce title 34 and title 58 of the fish and wildlife code. There are also sections of title 18 deputies enforce at times but involves a combination of 34 and 58.. They like their full time counter parts have jurisdiction throughout the state of pa to enforce mentioned laws. They are entitled to inner state concealed off duty carry. In the State of New York ALL off duty law enforce.is.allowed.to carry the weapon they qualified with only so there are nuances between states. The deputy program pays a stipend and a point of.contention has been the classification of volunteers. They r considered as in some states a deputy reserve force. Regardless of the impression taken from the web site...it is.not a cake walk and give a guy a gun. It takes two years and then a year of.probation under a full timers rule before you r on your own. Most do not.make it for.the duration and committment.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by coltguy68 View Post
    Hi racing.

Deputies have full arrest powers and enforce title 34 and title 58 of the fish and wildlife code. There are also sections of title 18 deputies enforce at times but involves a combination of 34 and 58.. They like their full time counter parts have jurisdiction throughout the state of pa to enforce mentioned laws. They are entitled to inner state concealed off duty carry. In the State of New York ALL off duty law enforce.is.allowed.to carry the weapon they qualified with only so there are nuances between states. The deputy program pays a stipend and a point of.contention has been the classification of volunteers. They r considered as in some states a deputy reserve force. Regardless of the impression taken from the web site...it is.not a cake walk and give a guy a gun. It takes two years and then a year of.probation under a full timers rule before you r on your own. Most do not.make it for.the duration and committment.
    The FAQ johnpsu linked to indicates that LEOSA only applies to "employees" (and retired employees) among other limitations. Are DWCOs "employees"?
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast