Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Perry County)

Default reloading 9mm questions

I have a Lee Hand Press kit that came with a universal funnel. I also have 2 Frankford Arsenal 9mm trays. If I try to use the funnel with the rounds in the trays, the power spills out because the funnel can't get down over top of the casings far enough.

It worked perfectly for .45 colt.

I have to hold a casing up inside the funnel (it swallows the entire round) to get it up against the top of the funnel where the hole is so powder doesn't fall out.

Am I doing something wrong or should this be a lot easier?

(Mercer County)

Default Re: reloading 9mm questions

Quote Originally Posted by WWGunslinger View Post
    I have a Lee Hand Press kit that came with a universal funnel. I also have 2 Frankford Arsenal 9mm trays. If I try to use the funnel with the rounds in the trays, the power spills out because the funnel can't get down over top of the casings far enough.

It worked perfectly for .45 colt.

I have to hold a casing up inside the funnel (it swallows the entire round) to get it up against the top of the funnel where the hole is so powder doesn't fall out.

Am I doing something wrong or should this be a lot easier?
    I can visualize exactly what you are saying having experienced it myself, unfortunately it is normal for the funnel you have where the "nipple" below the funnel is taller than the case/portion of exposed case. Can't see much else that can be done other than shorten the funnel enough to see if that works, and hope enough of the lower portion remains to stay in place for other cartridges (not too top heavy) to 'grip' the case wall when placed on top. I guess the use of a thinner block could help, but how well that would work, who knows until tried.

(Perry County)

Yeah, if I could find a tray that allows the funnel to go down further inside the tray holes, that would work, but short of taking the funnel to a gun store and testing or making one myself, not sure how to do it.

I have another funnel that has a smaller tube but is still too big to fit inside the case and it won't go around the outside.

I tried to see if there were specific caliber funnels but I couldn't find anything.

I guess I could buy another funnel and shorten it like you said. I'm sure they are fairly cheap.

(Somerset County)

My old Lyman funnel does the same thing with 380 ACP and the MTM blocks I have. I have a newer Lyman funnel, I THINK it has been redesigned with a smaller bottom area to alleviate this problem.

I say THINK because the newer funnel is at my parent's house not here. I should have it this weekend so I can check then.

My advice is too look around for another funnel or use a powder measure. My RCBS measure works just fine with the 380's in a block, 9mm shouldn't be a problem.

Dale

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by WWGunslinger View Post
    I tried to see if there were specific caliber funnels but I couldn't find anything.
    Here.

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?&users...ensionid=13957

There is a multitude of powder funnels along with expensive caliber specific funnels. I personally prefer the plastic micro funnel I bought of the local hardware store for 1.99. I've also seen small funnels at Pier One Imports strore for cheap.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.