Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    (Lebanon County)

Default Curious about AKs

I want to look into getting an ak. I know there's a lot of copies out there and some are not capable of high capacity mags. What should I look for and what should I stay away from?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Curious about AKs

Depends on what you want to do. Have the epitome bad guy gun, not particular on accuracy, make alot of noise at the range rapid firing? Get any run of the mill ak, you'll be fine. Friend of mine HAD to have an ak, after spending near $1500, he eventually sold it at huge loss, as the accuracy never measured up.

I bought mine used and I really enjoy it. It was less than $400. Accuracy is fine, i don't have anything to compare it too, but its good to at least 100 yrds. I suppose it depends what you're using it for. I like to shoot it because its fun. I've never had a problem with feeds. I'd like to get another sometime.

(Lebanon County)

start off with a romanian.....wasr. they are about the cheapest akm you can get. and if you can give one a look see, they are not bad either. they can have blemishes, but few effect the function of the gun.
    i'm a big fan of them.
    Last edited by brian; September 26th, 2012 at 05:21 PM.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Chester County)

If you want a quality AK then stay away from Century Arms builds unless you have the rifle in hand and can inspect it for canted sights/improperly installed barrel,etc. I would suggest the Arsenal rifles, the Waffen Werks builds, or the IAC builds that are available at Atlanticfirearms.com. If you have the money and want to have MOA accuracy out of your AK then I would suggest taking a look a the TSD AKs at onesourcetactical.com They are by far the top of the line AKs. Of course, if you are looking for the "cheap ak" just to bump fire down at the range then don't expect minute of man accuracy out to 300 yards or the famous reliability one would expect from an AK. Happy hunting and I hope you choose wisely!

Also, all the AK's I mentioned are compatible with hi-cap mags.
    Last edited by dgaff; January 16th, 2012 at 10:35 PM.

(Montgomery County)

I picked up my first AK about a year ago. Under $500, never had a problem feeding and its accurate to 100 yards. I didnt buy it as anything more as a fun range toy though.

Here is the actual one I purchased..

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...s_id/411546098

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by asnyder.006 View Post
    I want to look into getting an ak. I know there's a lot of copies out there and some are not capable of high capacity mags. What should I look for and what should I stay away from?
    Read <--this thread.
    Last edited by johnfritz; January 16th, 2012 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Fix linky.
    Johnnie F.

Noobs get all caught up in the mystique of this forum...and don't even see the sticky at the top of the rifle sub-forum.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/rifles-42/912...uld-i-buy.html
    Last edited by animalmother85; January 16th, 2012 at 11:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sparxfly72 View Post
    Depends on what you want to do. Have the epitome bad guy gun, not particular on accuracy, make alot of noise at the range rapid firing? Get any run of the mill ak, you'll be fine. Friend of mine HAD to have an ak, after spending near $1500, he eventually sold it at huge loss, as the accuracy never measured up.
    $1500 = 1 expensive AK....or... 1 cheap AK and 4000 rounds of ammo. Your choice

Quote Originally Posted by asnyder.006 View Post
    Depends on what why you want it, and what your intended purpose. I'm interested in history, so all of mine are as historically correct as legally possible. I spend a *lot* more sometimes than others, and I fall into the AK-snob category. But, I like what I have and I get valuable experience and insight firing the same weapons as our former (and current) opponents.

I'm not big into the home offense/defense scene, so I generally don't add accessories that weren't originally issued with them. I'm not a competitive shooter, so accuracy isn't a major concern. I have other guns for that.

For someone that just wants a basic AK without provenance, just about any reliable AK should suffice. And there are *many* of them. I gave this a cursory glance, it should be helpful:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WASR_series_rifles

Just be sure you understand what AKs are, and are not. They are not pin-point accurate, and make an ungainly first visual impression. They have loose fitting parts for a reason, and may appear to be cheaply made if you're accustomed to seeing finely fitted parts.
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast