Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Transferring a rifle from owner to owner?

I am buying a rifle from my boss, I was under the impression that I didn't need to fill out transfer of ownership paperwork, someone later told me I need to fill out paperwork, can someone please help, do I need transfer of ownership papers to complete this sale? thank you!

Default Re: Transferring a rifle from owner to owner?

read the stickeys in the classified section

http://forum.pafoa.org/firearms-6/24...g-selling.html
    To err is human, to be prepared divine

(Bucks County)

No FFL required for private transfer of long guns in PA, but it's good to make up a bill of sale just for your records.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by bac0nfat View Post
    No FFL required for private transfer of long guns in PA, but it's good to make up a bill of sale just for your records.
    +1. He's right.

(Chester County)

As stated above (no paperwork/FFL) PROVIDED:

1. buyer and seller are Pa residents;
    2. physical transfer occurs in Pa;
    3. buyer is non-prohibited.
    IANAL

(Berks County)

OP, there's a bill of sale posted here:
    HTML Code:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/firearms-6/3241-firearm-bill-sale-free-use.html#post31058
    (Sorry, can't figure out how to make the link active...copy and paste...)

Thanks to LorDiego01 for the bill of sale!
    USAF 77-79, SAC, DMAFB, 390 MIMS, Titan II Crew Chief

(Berks County)

I've contacted forum members in the past about buying rifles and shotguns and a few have insisted that I "pay for the transfer at a shop". Why is it so hard for some people to understand that rifles don't get transferred? I mean, these are people who have experience with firearms and should know better (I don't mean a relatively new guy or someone just asking a question before a first time transfer like the OP).

If you walk into a shop saying that you were there to do a rifle transfer, wouldn't they just look at you and say "okay... and what's your point? Have at it. Trade money for rifle and leave."
    Last edited by DC2.2GSR; January 25th, 2012 at 07:17 PM.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by DC2.2GSR View Post
    I've contacted forum members in the past about buying rifles and shotguns and a few have insisted that I "pay for the transfer at a shop". Why is it so hard for some people to understand that rifles don't get transferred? I mean, these are people who have experience with firearms and should know better (I don't mean a relatively new guy or someone just asking a question before a first time transfer like the OP).

If you walk into a shop saying that you were there to do a rifle transfer, wouldn't they just look at you and say "okay... and what's your point? Have at it. Trade money for rifle and leave."
    Some do this as a 'comfort' that they will not be liable should something bad happen in the future with said rifle/shotgun. While PA's "database that's not a registry" will not reflect the transfer, the dealer's bound book will provide a record of the ownership change should the previous owner wish (or be somehow compelled) to prove it.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by DC2.2GSR View Post

If you walk into a shop saying that you were there to do a rifle transfer, wouldn't most look at you and say "okay... and what's your point? Have at it. Trade money for rifle and leave."
    Many sellers understandably are wary of selling a firearm to a stranger. By using the services of an FFL they have more than met any due diligence responsibility to ascertain whether the buyer is prohibited. In addition, by doing it through a third party at their place of business, there is little chance that the buyer would attempt a strong-arm robbery that could occur when the transfer occurs somewhere more private.
    IANAL

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    Some do this as a 'comfort' that they will not be liable should something bad happen in the future with said rifle/shotgun. While PA's "database that's not a registry" will not reflect the transfer, the dealer's bound book will provide a record of the ownership change should the previous owner wish (or be somehow compelled) to prove it.
    Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    Many sellers understandably are wary of selling a firearm to a stranger. By using the services of an FFL they have more than met any due diligence responsibility to ascertain whether the buyer is prohibited. In addition, by doing it through a third party at their place of business, there is little chance that the buyer would attempt a strong-arm robbery that could occur when the transfer occurs somewhere more private.
    These are all great points and I understand them, but I'm mostly talking about paying for a transfer. Do dealers even offer the service for rifle sales between two private parties? What's being paid for and what services are being provided? Are you paying a standard firearm transfer fee even though the shop is doing nothing but witnessing the transaction, or is the dealer actually running PICS and doing paperwork and everything?

If there's no paper work or anything, it just seems to me that it's a pointless step in the process other than obviously deterring any number of potentially bad situations that may arise by selling to a random in a parking lot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast