Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Venango County)

Default Wilkes Barre, Pa Eateries...

In mid May I must take the family to YMCA State Gymnastic Championships to be held in Wilkes Barre, Pa. I am not familiar with it and hope some of you easterners can yield a tip or two.

First, I need an eatery that fills our tastes. We will be travelling across I-80 from Barkeyville most likely. So anything along the way may be considered if it is really good.

I would also like any tips regarding areas to avoid and hotels etc. (I tend to go on the cheap side whenever possible and if not unsafe)

Is there something fun for a family there?

As for eating, I like authentic German cuisine, we all like Korean. On vacations we always like to find one good place that has a killer prime rib, too!

Good Chinese food would be appreciated or any home-cooking style restaurants.

If you give me a city/location and name I will look-up on map sites and place as itenerary stops etc.

Thanks for any help in advance.

(Venango County)

Default Re: Wilkes Barre, Pa Eateries...

WOW, I used to rely on yahoo maps but their search function sucks anymore. I was able to get better data from Googlemaps.

It looks like Edelweiss is best possibility for German eats. Anyone have experience eating there?

Thanks again.

(Lackawanna County)

As far as chinese food goes you have 2 options in my opinion. The 1st is a buffet named Super Kings Buffet. If you like chinese buffets, you wont be disappointed by this one. Top shelf and everythigng is always hot, big selection too. I live in Scranton, about a 20 min drive away, and I frequently go down there. Your next option is actually Japanese cusine, habatchi style. There is a resteraunt in downtown Wilkesbarre called Katana. They have great sushi, but also like I said they have excellent habatchi. The only problem is its a little pricy. If you have any other questiosn about the area feel free to ask me, hopefully i can help.

(Luzerne County)

I've driven by Edelweiss several times and always wanted to stop and check it out but for whatever reason it just wasn't the right time. If you happen to stop by, let us know how it is.

I know there's some decent BBQ (for the east coast) at a place off exit 98 on I-80 behind a Sheetz gas/truck stop I can't recall the name of it though.

Wilkes-Barre has a lot of what you'll find anywhere else resturant wise, Applebee's/Smokey Bones/Cracker Barrell/Quizno's etc....I'm not a Chinese Resturant person but I've heard that Super King Buffet in the Wal-Mart plaza is ok. Not sure you will find any Korean anything in/around Wilkes-Barre though.

If your looking for pizza though, my personal favorite is Napoli on main st in Pittston (about 10 min north of wilkes-barre).
    Beretta 9000s 9mm

(Luzerne County)

The chinese place over in Edwardsville next to the Subway is much better.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by TaePo View Post
    WOW, I used to rely on yahoo maps but their search function sucks anymore. I was able to get better data from Googlemaps.

It looks like Edelweiss is best possibility for German eats. Anyone have experience eating there?

Thanks again.
    Edelweiss = Drool mmmmm Drool mmmmm..... Yummm..... MMMMMM

Will post more later. I just drooled on my keyboard.

// Dreaming Steak on a Stone
    - Big D
    I am looking for SIG ST Series pistols. Please PM me if you have one you would like to sell.

(Venango County)

Thanks for the tips.

And Big D, ya got me droolin' now! There's gonna be a lot saliva lost between now and May!

I will see if I can ID the Chinese Restaurants.

Are there any summer toboggan (sic?) runs in the mountains? I heard there used to be wheeled runs somewhere in Pa.

Keep 'em ideas coming!

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    The chinese place over in Edwardsville next to the Subway is much better.
    I have a hard time believing this. Is it a buffet or sit down resteraunt. Everyone here doesnt seem to like SuperKings. The only reason I care i because myself and a handful of my friends have been to the majority of chinese buffets in Scranton/Dickson City/Dunmore/Moosic/Wilkes barre areas. Everytime we go to one we make it a point to rate it. Among my friends, Super Kings definatly scored this highest among chinese buffets. Thrust me on this one. Ive seen all ends of the spectrum. Super Kings has their stuff together.

Quote Originally Posted by TaePo View Post
    Are there any summer toboggan (sic?) runs in the mountains? I heard there used to be wheeled runs somewhere in Pa.
    I believe your reffering to Montage Mountain and if im not mistaken no they do not have the wheeled runs anymore (anyone else confirm this?). Mounatge Mountain was just bought out a private company and renamed Sno Mountain. You could always do the Lackawanna coal mine tour, the only thing Scranton has to offer as an attraction. Ive been several times, while its not Dorney Park, its worth a look.
    Last edited by Salt; February 5th, 2008 at 02:03 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Edelweiss has great food

You might look into "Smokey Bones" which is across from Wyoming Valley Mall right off 81 if it is still around for the BBQ it isn't the best out there but it isn't bad either. I like it.

There is a great Spanish place if you are interested but thats a little further east here is a link http://www.donquixotepoconos.com/directions.html I believe they also post their menu online to give you an idea on what they have and their prices.