Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default n00b ? -Storage time in question -Rev vs. Pistol

Ok, so I have spent hours & hours on this forum as well as many more hours out on the internet & in gun shops. I just wanted to see what some others have done, done correctly, or regret doing when buying your first handgun.

Short version: I have shotgun experience, but due to recent happenings in my area I have finally convinced my wife to allow a handgun to purchased for the "bump in the night" situations that have occurred several times in the last few weeks.

Reason for my question is: I feel I would personally enjoy owning and shooting a Pistol, (sr9, sr9c, cw9, glock 19, ect). I would love to join a sportsman's club and go to the range on a weekly basis...but... I am not so sure that will be a reality due to us having a 2 year old and possibly a newborn arriving in the next year or so. Both working full time and life in general limiting my free time greatly.

I know the basic models that are reliable, I have done my research, but I am wondering if anyone wanted to weigh in on how long can a Pistol really sit in a safe and still be "trust your life on it" reliable (2 months? 3?, 6?) I am fine with getting a revolver instead if you think I would be putting my family in danger by not brushing the dust off it over a future winter or something like that. I know range time for reliability reasons is not such a large issue with revolvers, but I just want to be sure of the tool in my hand when I pull it out of the safe next to my bed when I awake to a SHTF situation.

Sidenote: If I choose to purchase a pistol I will definitely be seeking more training to ensure that malfunctions can be handled in the best way possible. I just want clarification how much these worries should play into my purchase choice?

I am also looking for someone in the Monto / Chesco area that would like a range buddy to show me some of my options and allow me to experience firsthand what works for me and what doesn't. Not looking for charity, (that is for churches), I will be sure to cover some of the cost incurred.

Thank you all, sorry for the long write-up, I look forward to any words of wisdom that you may have to bestow on me
    It's called "WORK" for a reason, they wouldn't pay you for it if it was fun.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: n00b ? -Storage time in question -Rev vs. Pistol

You can keep any modern, quality firearm loaded and ready to go indefinitely with no problems.

(Beaver County)

You have dust inside of your safe? Enough dust to hamper a gun functioning? That is impressive.

No matter what model of gun you buy (pistol, revolver, shotgun, bazooka) you need to spend some time figuring out how it works. The whole "revolver is easier than a pistol" thing has been talked to death and frankly is nonsense. If you can fill a cylinder and close it, you can load a mag and rack a slide. Ever hear the expression "pull trigger, go boom" when talking to a Glock person? There's a reason for that.

I say that the key to comfort with weapons is knowing your limitations. You have 2 days a week to do holster draws, combat flashlight drills, and shooting from cover exercises? That's great, gold star. But I'm not convinced that invalidates the lone mom who bought a glock, shot it 10 times at a target 7 yards away and hucked it in her drawer for that one emergency where she has to yell "I have a gun asshole!" and empty 15 shots down a tight hallway into some home invader.

So having said that, start with a proven base design that you can trust your safety on (glock, beretta, sig, etc) and use it as much as you can. You don't need to qualify for IDPA with this gun. You don't need to do anything showy. You need to be able to point it at the bad guy and work the trigger. That's it. Everything after that is gravy. Get a full sized model if you go pistol, and go 4" or 6" if you go revolver. Get a 9mm. Not because 40/45/100/357 sig aren't better or any other reason short of this: regardless of who you are, you can shoot 9mm. Your wife can shoot 9mm. Your kids when they get old enough can shoot 9mm. Revolver... 38 special. Same reason.

Good luck, and we hope you never have to use it.
    It has to start someplace... It has to start sometime...
    What better place than here? What better time than now! - RAtM

(Mercer County)

I know of a 1911 & 6 magazines that were loaded by my great uncle shortly after WWI in 1921 or '22. This pistol was used for home defense by my uncle until 1958 when died at 92 years old--the pistol was willed to me. I never unloaded the magazines or cleaned/oiled the pistol or fired this pistol. I was our home defense firearm.

In 2009 we had a discussion similar to this one and I picked up the pistol and went out on the back porch and fired off the magazine in the pistol & one other without any problems.

I then field stripped, cleaned, and oiled the 1911, IMHO this was the first time it had be cleaned/oiled in over 85 years. I then loaded with it one of the magazines my uncle loaded and put the pistol back in service to protect the home 20.
    Last edited by MOUNTAINORACLE; January 25th, 2012 at 03:01 PM.
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

(Chester County)

@Python73- Thank you for the information. Obviously the "revolver reliability" stance is out there a lot but your honest, reality check style information is exactly what I am looking for. I truly think I will be diving into the pool as a frequent shooter once i get my feet wet, its just the first step that I am cautious of. Thank you again.

@MOUNTAINORACLE- Wow, what an amazing story and reference point that really puts my 3 month hiatus worry on the back burner. Thank you very much.
    It's called "WORK" for a reason, they wouldn't pay you for it if it was fun.

Quote Originally Posted by CountryStyle View Post
    Short version: I have shotgun experience, but due to recent happenings in my area I have finally convinced my wife to allow a handgun to purchased for the "bump in the night" situations that have occurred several times in the last few weeks.
    HD shotgun that you have experience with is better than having to train with a new pistol. I would also not recommend having it locked in a safe if your wife or you have heard "a bump in the night" several times in the last few weeks.

Not to mention with your family growing a shotgun is one of the cheapest weapons you can buy if you don't have one.

The pistol training can come later IMO.

(Lancaster County)

Smile Re: n00b ? -Storage time in question -Rev vs. Pistol

COUNTRY- Everyone here has given you excellent advice. but take it one step forward- Stop by CLASSIC PISTOL 1310 Industrial Blvd in Southampto,Pa. and rent the semi autos and revolvers they have at the shop to see which handgun you feel most comfortable with before you buy anything and also check out the small personal safes at this shop and others in your area to see which safe/security box you also feel would be just right for you and your family. fwiw jack

(Allegheny County)

Yeah, it's not like it's a loaf of bread - it's not going to go "stale".
    Even ammunition can be stored for decades and decades without issue provided it's kept dry.

Welcome to the forum. Don't be afraid to ask questions.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by group17 View Post
    I would also not recommend having it locked in a safe if your wife or you have heard "a bump in the night" several times in the last few weeks.
    I never understood buying a gun for self defense and then locking it in a safe. Has to be some kind of irony there. My self preservation pistols are locked (and cocked) inside couch cusions and what not (can't give away all the good hiding spots). Most bad guys are in a hurry and don't want to be troubled with you fumbling around with the combination.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Beaver County)

Nothing wrong with a safe if you can get into it reasonably quickly. Lots of gun safes are made with this in mind. But keep this in mind also... security is about layers. No matter how good you are with a gun, and how often you have it on you and handle it, if you sleep like the dead on the ground floor with a screen door between you and the great outdoors you are going to be in trouble when the bad guy comes at you. Flip side, by the time you break through one of my security doors or solid windows, fight off the barking and snarling rottweiler and climb the stairs to get at my wife and I, you are going to be met with very awake and angry homeowners who won't be wondering wtf is happening. See where I'm going with this?

Guns are a last resort for when your fortress is breached. A very large part of your job is to make sure nobody wants to break in at all. Barking dog, motion lights, not leaving doors unlocked, not leaving windows open. There are N houses on your street. If yours is the most inviting you are doing it wrong. While practicing with your gun, which all of us agree is a wonderful and necessary tool, please spare some thought for squaring your property up also.
    It has to start someplace... It has to start sometime...
    What better place than here? What better time than now! - RAtM

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast