Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Range Report (STI Spartan vs RIA Tactical)

Well guys I got to the range last night to shoot my STI Spartan. My friend has the RIA 2-Tone Tactical with aftermarket wide grips everything else stock. He's already put about 300rnds through it before last night. Overall the STI functioned flawlessly through 125rnds, RIA had about 4-5 misfeeds on different magazines. Looks like the bullet is hitting the slide stop as we expected so he will be contacting RIA or filing it down himself hoping to fix the problem. The STI defiantly was nice to shoot with the adjustable sites, once I got it dialed in I was blowing holes in the center of the target from 5-7yards. It also took me a little bit to get over the initial excitement (almost like the first time you bang a new girl) and focus on shooting. The STI Trigger defiantly felt crisper to me but not lighter. I also noticed the RIA seemed to be a little bit heavier but I haven't looked up the specs. At 35.3oz unloaded the STI is on the lighter side from what I've been reading which is fine because I do plan on carrying for special occasians. Overall I was very impressed with it and felt it was well worth the price 639.99 before tax and fees. I will admit though I do not know yet if it's worth the extra $150-175 over a 2-tone tactical. Not to mention the all black RIA Tactical is close to the $425 range which would leave you $200 bucks to spend on accesories. I almost wish I had gone that route but I really just wanted a different brand and not having the same gun. If anyone has any questions or is in the Lower Bucks county area me and my buddy have no problem letting people shoot our guns as long as they got something we can try!

P.S. - The only thing I'm still not sure I like is the front fiber optic on the gun. Our range is relatively dark and the fiber optic really didn't have the glow I expected. Now we also both have guns with green fiber optics which are a lot nicer to see. Anyone know who makes a good green fiber optic to either replace the STI spartan red tube or the whole site?

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Range Report (STI Spartan vs RIA Tactical)

Hey does he really want to spend money shipping back it for service and waiting for it to return- maybe a month. You guys are close if you dont mind a short drive to Easton ,Pa stop by and see me we can cure his issue with the slide stop in 5 minutes or less and you guys can get back to shooting - no charge I will be in this Saturday coating ar 15's anyway , Brian /EFR Ps congrats on your STI purchase nice pistols with decent triggers.
    www.EastonFirearmsRefinishing.com Owner/Operator, NRA Pistol Instructor

OP wrote - I will admit though I do not know yet if it's worth the extra $150-175 over a 2-tone tactical. Not to mention the all black RIA Tactical is close to the $425 range which would leave you $200 bucks to spend on accesories. I almost wish I had gone that route but I really just wanted a different brand and not having the same gun. If anyone has any questions or is in the Lower Bucks county area me and my buddy have no problem letting people shoot our guns as long as they got something we can try!

456 - Peace of mind is worth at least $200. Your gun made it through with no FTF or FTE his gun needs work and you think its the slide lock or could be something else. Your gun just needs shooting sounds like the STi would be the gun I'd want to buy. The RAIs are good bargain guns but the STi is a very good gun for that price. Personally I'd take a STi over a RAI anyday even for $200 more, thats just me.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Neko456 View Post
    OP wrote - I will admit though I do not know yet if it's worth the extra $150-175 over a 2-tone tactical. Not to mention the all black RIA Tactical is close to the $425 range which would leave you $200 bucks to spend on accesories. I almost wish I had gone that route but I really just wanted a different brand and not having the same gun. If anyone has any questions or is in the Lower Bucks county area me and my buddy have no problem letting people shoot our guns as long as they got something we can try!

456 - Peace of mind is worth at least $200. Your gun made it through with no FTF or FTE his gun needs work and you think its the slide lock or could be something else. Your gun just needs shooting sounds like the STi would be the gun I'd want to buy. The RAIs are good bargain guns but the STi is a very good gun for that price. Personally I'd take a STi over a RAI anyday even for $200 more, thats just me.
    456 - We are both 99.9% sure it's the slide lock since we found coppering on it last night. If that's all the gun needs to run 100% thats not a bad deal to us. I will say I think the STI will be worth the extra money once I shoot it more and at longer distances. Not to mention my skill level is probably low compared to most guys on the forum so 1in at 25 yards isn't going to be a deal breaker for me. I'll keep you guys updated as I shoot the gun more.

Quote Originally Posted by 1988 Olds View Post
    took me a little bit to get over the initial excitement (almost like the first time you bang a new girl)
    bang??? any pun intended?
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.