Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Default About buy my first pistol.

Greetings all...But I am in need of a few questions which I would be most pleased if I could have answered.
    I grew up uncle my uncle who was an avid, respect, and very successful gun collector. For years I have been going to the range and I have love and an overhwelming respect for guns and weapons. The reason I am mentioning I am mentioning this is because I prefer to not be classified under the category of "just out of the teens and looking to get a gun to be big" stereotype which I have had to argue for about 4 years now. I am 21 to set the point straight.
    However, I have never actually purchased a firearm in my life. I would love to get my very own pistol within coming years for not only household protection (since I will get in my own house soon), but also to take to the range ( to give myself and my father to do things together once again).

I have heard many different claims about how OLD you have to be to buy and pistol, and how it is different than how OLD you have to be to get a carrying lisence. Can someone please clarify tis age reasoning for me.
    Also, say i do purchase a pistol and want to take it to the range. Do I HAVE to have a lisence to carry and/or when can I get that.

Thanks much all....New to these forums and appreciate everything you have to offer.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: About buy my first pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by ForgottenHerosX View Post
    I have heard many different claims about how OLD you have to be to buy and pistol
    You must be 21 to purchase a handgun from a dealer.

, and how it is different than how OLD you have to be to get a carrying lisence.
    You must be 21 to receive a Pennsylvania License To Carry Firearms.

Also, say i do purchase a pistol and want to take it to the range. Do I HAVE to have a lisence to carry and/or when can I get that.
    No, you may transport a firearm to and from the range without a LTCF as long as it is transported unloaded. The best way to do that is to keep the firearm and the ammunition in different container.

All in all you should probably get a permit anyway. For the most part as long as you are able to legally purchase a firearm you should be able to receive a permit, and it's very inexpensive in Pennsylvania.
    Last edited by danp; November 29th, 2006 at 11:34 PM.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Erie County)

A big welcome to our newest member.

I would recommend going to a gun shop that has a range...so you can rent various pistols. I would advise not to get caught up in the "brand name game" when you are going to purchase your first pistol. Too many people will recommend what they own...versus what's being offered.

I have owned from Kimber to Glocks...price doesn't always determine if it will be a good weapon or not.

My personal recommendations

SA XD line
    Steyr
    CZ
    S&W M&P
    Glocks...durable but not my personal choice
    Makarovs
    HK

Another thing to consider is caliber...some people will tell you that if it's not a 45ACP then you are a wuss...blah blah blah. I say try out various calibers from 380 up to 50AE or 500. The bottom line is you must factor in cost of ammo when purchasing because the larger the caliber...normally you are going to pay more for ammo. Just remember that dead is dead...the person you shoot won't say "man I was shot and killed with a 45ACP"...just keep that in mind...if you plan on shooting a lot...I would highly recommend a good 22 LR rifle or pistol.
    Last edited by aubie515; November 29th, 2006 at 11:05 PM.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    I would recommend going to a gun shop that has a range...so you can rent various pistols.
    I agree 100%. I was dead set on a glock and aubie suggested an XD. After renting both at a range there was no question in my mind and got the XD.

Aubie, I like it man. For home def though, I would not recommend a .22. I would say at least a .357 or .38. With a .22, you have a good chance of just making someone really mad.

Although, as he said, if you are going to shoot a lot, a .22 is a great choice. I am not sure the price, but used to, you could buy a brick of bullets for about $6.00. I saw at Bass Pro a collector's tin of 250 .22 for like $8.00. That and a lot of .22 pistols, are fairly cheap. If it is more enjoyment, then definitely the .22 for starters. (no pun intended.)

As my disclaimer says, these are only my opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by IceFire View Post
    Sgt....Do NOT piss off the wife, do NOT piss off the wife!
    Army Strong

These are my opinions, my opinions only. If you are offended, please, please, call Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton, I would like the notoriety.

(Montgomery County)

.22 ruger mark II or III I think is IMO the ideal first pistol, if only because so many people can tell you how to take care it it.

As for when you're ready to move up, rent ,rent, rent.

I rented an XD first, loved it but I wanted a glock. I tried at least half a dozen or so glocks and I couldn't hit a barn with them at 5 feet. They just didn't fit me but since thats what i wanted to get, I kept renting them. Then I rented a barretta and an XD again. Done I just plain shot better with the SC 3.1 inch XD than every glock and barretta I picked up. That was that. Now if I was smart I would've branched out a little more. I shot my buddies sig and 1991, Well If I would've known I probably would've had to rent them all back to back to see. That being said my shooting is way better now than back when I bought the XD so who knows maybe a glock would be better suited for me now. My senseless rambling is to make the very simple point. You'll never know which one is made for you until you find it. Then, like women, you might find one you want more then what you have. For right now I'd rent a lot until your ready to move in with it.

(Clarion County)

For your first handgun I believe in the K.I.S.S. principle. By keeping it simple i suggest either a revolver or a single action automatic. It is much easier to master a light single action only trigger than multiple trigger pulls for a single/double gun. Or a long hard pull from a double action only weapon.
    I have multiple handguns and they are all single action. I have shot many others but I havent felt the need to buy any of them.
    An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine!I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force,nor is it wise for such a person to expect it!
    Isaiah Ambrey
    If you think you have the right not to be offended. I suggest you promptly purchase a toe attachment and a twelve gauge. One time use is all that is necessary.

(Lackawanna County)

Thanks guys, your the greatest for info. I have been actively looking for indoor ranges which rent pistols for some time today between labs. However, I havent been able to find much of anything in Lackawanna or some Luzerne county. Anyone know anything around Scranton or Wilkes-Barre...Or maybe I am just looking in the wrong spots for information?
    In my eyes: Gun Control is using both hands.

(Erie County)

Being Erie County... I can't help you out your way.

I like your Signature: In my eyes: Gun Control is using both hands.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast