Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Classic Pistol Southampton, PA

Range is great. It is very clean and well run.

Guns are about $30-$50 more than most other places, but I've been buying there to support my local range.

$50 charge for transfers is also more than anyone else in this area charges.

They have no gunsmith or repair services.

Just this week, Ed who works there took a consignment gun (good deal on the gun) being held in the safe for me by the owner for one day (with my name and cell phone number on it) and was completing the sale of that gun to one of his buddies as I walked in after work to pick it up. When I called him on it he said he was too busy to call me and said all he could do was apologize.

That made it clear to me he'd rather sell the gun to someone else than to me. From now on I'm going to let them sell their guns to people other than me and save myself $30-$50 per gun.

Great place to shoot, not so much to buy or trade, and at least one of their employees needs to have more integrity.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Classic Pistol Southampton, PA

Quote Originally Posted by MRIDOC1 View Post
    Range is great. It is very clean and well run.

Guns are about $30-$50 more than most other places, but I've been buying there to support my local range.

$50 charge for transfers is also more than anyone else in this area charges.

They have no gunsmith or repair services.

Just this week, Ed who works there took a consignment gun (good deal on the gun) being held in the safe for me by the owner for one day (with my name and cell phone number on it) and was completing the sale of that gun to one of his buddies as I walked in after work to pick it up. When I called him on it he said he was too busy to call me and said all he could do was apologize.

That made it clear to me he'd rather sell the gun to someone else than to me. From now on I'm going to let them sell their guns to people other than me and save myself $30-$50 per gun.

Great place to shoot, not so much to buy or trade, and at least one of their employees needs to have more integrity.

Were you still within the one day hold period ? If so did you get a hold of the person that originally put it on hold ?

I'd be royally ticked if that happened to me.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."- The Papers of Ben Franklin

(Montgomery County)

One of the owners put it away for me at 11AM.
    I showed up at 7PM to check out the gun again, went home to get my range bag to try out the gun, got back at 8PM, and this employee was selling it someone else.

It's just a gun. More will come along, but it showed me I don't need to buy there at a premium out of loyalty, since they have no loyalty to their regulars ( I have a range membership there. They know me by my first name). I'm guessing it was a friend of his or another employee that he sold it to, since it was a very good deal.

(Northampton County)

That is very strange. I don’t know why they would agree to putting the gun aside for you and than just sell it. I have dealt with C/P in the past. I wouldn’t think this kind of thing would happen there.
    Did they tell you that this would happen it a serious buyer wants it? You were looking to shoot the gun before you bought it. This is not common practice in a gun shop. What would have happened if you didn’t like it? I do agree it is a range and they do let you shoot used guns. You needed your range bag to shoot a gun?

This whole thing just sounds like something is missing.

Money does talk in business

(Montgomery County)

In general, my experiences there had been positive up to that point, too. Perhaps it was a fluke involving that one employee. Maybe he didn't like that I asked him to call the owner of the used consignment gun for permission to shoot it. The owners allow buyers to try out used guns that they own before buying, so I didn't think it was too much to ask, especially since it was a gun with a history of different examples of that same model either working flawlessly or being jam-o-matics. He could have told me that they don't allow trials on consignment guns if that were the case. Instead, he said he would call the owner and ask. I watched him place the call and leave a message, so I gave him my cell phone number and went to get my bag to buy some time for the owner to get back to him. At the very least, he should have called me before selling the gun to someone else to ask me what I wanted to do. My number was written on the box.

I agree that something is missing here. I suspect he either knew the guy he sold it to ( the buyer looked a lot like a guy I have seen working behind the counter there occasionally) or he just didn't like me for some reason. To my knowledge, he and I had never had any reason not to like each other.

Oh, well. As I said, it's just one gun. If this was an isolated incident everyone can ignore it. This is just one more data point for people to put into their equations about how each gun shop/range runs their business so that they can choose where to buy. Isn't that the point of this forum; to share our experiences in the area?
    Last edited by MRIDOC1; February 3rd, 2008 at 01:15 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Is Ed the older guy with the hearing aid? It does sound like he screwed you.

I wouldn't let someone shoot my used gun that I was trying to sell. It would look like crap afterwards since it would then be dirty.

They told me they don't do transfers anymore about a month ago. I do mine at Tanner's now if I need to. Very nice place, but no range. $40 transfers.

I've had good luck at Classic so far.

(Bucks County)

If you have any problems, deal with John (the owner). If you would have spoken to him about that incident he would have done something.

They will usually match Tanners prices.

They don't have a gunsmith, but they can due some sights.

They will Clean (ultrasonic) & Oil gun for $15.

The ammo is well priced.

(Bucks County)

Talking Re: Classic Pistol Southampton, PA

John Robinson is now working at Classic Pistol.

He is a MASTER Gunsmith! He will be set up shortly to start working his magic.

RGKSR

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by RGKSR View Post
    John Robinson is now working at Classic Pistol.

He is a MASTER Gunsmith! He will be set up shortly to start working his magic.

RGKSR
    More info please. Does he only work on certain guns? What does he do best?
    You can never have enough horsepower or ammunition.

(Bucks County)

John works on just about anything. I know he has a passion for military rifles.

The shop is getting set up for him to start working. Right now I'm also working there (Classic Pistol) part time. I know the Smitthy was ordered and is expected in about 2 weeks.

He's done work for me in the past and I was a very happy customer.

Bob K.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast