Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Update on EFR low budget turkish 1911 project

I just got back from final range testing ,went great was having all ball ringing steel at twenty five yards- 8 inch swinging round plate. My best mag dump on the plate was 7 out of 8 if I had more time to actually focus on shooting I could have put 8 out 8 on the plate,but that having to actually go to work and make money crap to take care of every day living was getting in the way of fun time at the range this morning. Any how here are some pics before I cerakote the frame and small parts. I think I will smooth out the snake skin main spring housing and the memory pad on the Ed Brown beavertail a little more before coating but other than that this project is about done. I post final pics in a day or so after it cerakoted.

www.EastonFirearmsRefinishing.com Owner/Operator, NRA Pistol Instructor

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Update on EFR low budget turkish 1911 project

when you say low budget what are we talking about if you dont mind me asking .

(Blair County)

I believe he has $650ish wrapped up in this gun, if I remember correctly from the first topic.

It looks awesome and it isn't even finished yet. Your work is top-notch.

(Northampton County)

medsteel is correct after I coat it today I will reach $650.00 this pistol shoots so nice that its already sold. thats the downside of this business I take a lot of different people to the range with me and let them try pistols that I am building or working on and they end up buying it. I like this pistol so much that I am going to build another one for my son and I to enjoy. I will add novak sights to the next one, I love the coco bolo grips that I put on this and they were only $20.00, also I will add a modern hammer and beavertail,but I won't bother replacing the trigger. the factory trigger that actually came with this pistol was very nice to begin with a crisp 4 lb pull. I was very impressed with the base pistol a turkish clone the exceeded all my expectations right out of the box for $349.00 dealer price. This project was designed around the idea that this was you could do at home. If you add in labor for the frame alterations and fitting of the parts by a professional your adding about anther $250.00 on top of the $650.00. If you just what a plain cheap reliable pistol get one and leave it alone. I personally had a lot of fun with this project and will definitely build another one to keep. It also functioned perfectly with all my wilson mags had a few issues with the cdnn metalform mags that I ordered extra with the pistol, the one mag that came with the pistol works flawlessly. This pistol isnt for everybody number one becuase some are stuck on the brand concept won't buy it if its not a colt, or a kimber, or a springfield etc. I n my own collection I have from high end custom shop pistols to the cheap, what really matters to me is how does it function and how is it made. The turkish pistol is made with modern tech and is precisely fitted and performed flawlessly out of the box- definitely well worth the the money and really doenot need anything out of the box. Brian/ EFR

(Indiana County)

Shame it's going to get some ugly ass paint job.

Nice looking gun and a nice price, I just can't see ruining every gun out there with those paintjobs.

The green SIG in the other thread is just butt ugly IMO (the tan one is OK) but I'd take a high polish blue on a 1911 over any paint anyday.

Just my opinion, obviously some people like painted guns, good luck in your business, looks like you can do some nice work.
    I understand your business is refinishing guns, but does every single gun need a paintjob, whatever happened to a nice blue job?

(Northampton County)

39flathead if you had not noticed cerakote is already being offered as standard factory finishes from Sig , Kel-tec and some others. I think in the next 20 to thirty years bluing on firearms may even disappear. First and foremost cerakote offers better corrosion protection than bluing,stainless, duracoat, gunkoteand parkerizing,that its documented fact. Second it cleans up easier than bluing and does not show fingerprints-just something I like.Cerakote now has a military line that makes the weapons very hard to pickup with nite vision-only available to military and Leos. Bluing and parkerizing are simply controlled rust -surfaces must be lubricated regularly. Next if you had not noticed with many of today's gun owners just like they do with their homes and cars they want to personalize their firearm,they don't want a blued or stainless or parkerized finish. The reason I don't offer bluing currently because I don't have the equipment to handle it and I am not sure that I want to deal with the EPA's regs concerning running a bluing operation. By the way there is a growing ladies market and they don't all want pink, but often opt for variety of colors. I am thinking about adding a parkerizing operation at this time ,but I am still not sure about the bluing, I have only had a couple of request for bluing since I opened the business. Last its my job to do what ever the customer wants and if that's lime green with silver metallic tiger stripes then thats what they will get. Now if its a firearm that would be devalued by coating it I always advise them not to coat it,but its not my decision.By the way the green Sig 228 is already sold after being seen on just 2 forums for 24 hours, You may not like the color,I may not like the color,but somebody out there always does. Most of mine are black and gray, but I even have green and sand colored one in my collection now the color scheme just grew on me after a while. Brian /EFR

(Bucks County)

1911 looks nice Brian..

39flathead, do you realize he owns a business and most of the jobs he does is per request of what the customer wants? So to say he is ruining these guns is silly...

And although the green sig is not my cup of tea, its still pretty badass and I'm sure many many ppl would want that in their collection

A lot of people want something that's their own and no one elses, its called personality..

Keep up the great work,
    Last edited by Svickstc; January 25th, 2012 at 12:17 PM.

(Blair County)

Damn that P228 sold fast. After I saw the price I actually considered it. Guess I was too slow on the draw.

Truth be told I will most likely look to get one of my guns ruined here in the near future. I've got a Remington .270 with some slight rust that would look pretty nice with a black/green tiger-striped stock and black barrel and action. Maybe even get a Gen4 G17 frame coated in OD green and the slide in graphite black.

(Northampton County)

medsteele I am going do be doing several more and with an added plus I am waiting on the sig short trigger reset kits to come in. I may do one with a short trigger to. I really took a liking to the 228 at the range and had already decided that it would be a nice addition to my personal collection. So I already ordered a couple more of these and will be doing them to whatever the customer wants. I am going to do mine in graphite black on the silde and parts and then I am going to coat my frame in a custom gray cerakote that I mix up,its not a standard color. I will be posting pics in a couple of weeks . If you are interested in one send a message or call me at 610-252-5334. Brian /EFR

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by Svickstc View Post
    1911 looks nice Brian..

39flathead, do you realize he owns a business and most of the jobs he does is per request of what the customer wants? So to say he is ruining these guns is silly...

And although the green sig is not my cup of tea, its still pretty badass and I'm sure many many ppl would want that in their collection

A lot of people want something that's their own and no one elses, its called personality..

Keep up the great work,
    I totally understand he is here shilling for his business, it's in his sigline.
    I also understand beauty is subjective.

I don't care for striped, colored, polka dot guns. I know some people do, and that's fine.
    The 1911 he pictured looks good as is and is something I would consider buying, but not after it is colored some goofy green or shit brown with tigerstripes.

When you post on a forum, expect to hear opinions you may not like, I offered mine and nobody is going to change it, the guns in his pics and sigline do not do anything for me and IMO they look tacky and childish.

I don't have anything against a guy having a business, more power to him, and I'm glad there are enough people that like his type of work, I am just not one of them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast