Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Default First step toward open carry

I have been carrying a Bond Arms Snake Slayer on my belt for the better part of a year, but since my t-shirt normally covers it, I don't really consider it "open Carry". However it is apparently visible enough that I still occasionally get strange looks, I even had a kid point at it and say "mommy! look he has a gun!, Mom's response was, yes honey, I think he's a detective like the ones on TV. So I figure why not actually open carry? So, I recently bought a SERPA for my Taurus 24/7 pro since this is the pistol I feel most comfortable carrying with me. Well, the latch doesn't engage the trigger guard. The 24/7 has a trigger guard that curves out as opposed to in. I was told the XD45 Serpa would work for my 24/7, but it doesn't. So, do I take a drill to the inside of the holster to carve out the needed space for the trigger guard or do I return it and try something else?

I have been through a few forums and this appears to be the best fit for this pistol, but I'm hesitant to risk destroying the holster if there is a better option out there. however the fit is so close, it is just the tip of the trigger guard that holds it up.

Default Re: First step toward open carry

I'd seriously consider purchasing an alternative holster that properly secures your pistol without having to modify it.

I look at this from an investment standpoint, other than the obvious safety concerns it presents: If you ever have the need to sell the holster, it's much more difficult selling a holster that has been modified to fit a specific pistol than one that has not.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Fossil4Life View Post
    I'd seriously consider purchasing an alternative holster that properly secures your pistol without having to modify it.
    From what I've seen, this is as close as it gets for a serpa style 24/7 holster, I found a few places that claim to sell one but in the forums where people have tried them, they all require modifications to make them fit. With this one it is just a matter of the trigger guard.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Automan21k View Post
    I have been carrying a Bond Arms Snake Slayer on my belt for the better part of a year, but since my t-shirt normally covers it, I don't really consider it "open Carry". However it is apparently visible enough that I still occasionally get strange looks, I even had a kid point at it and say "mommy! look he has a gun!, Mom's response was, yes honey, I think he's a detective like the ones on TV. So I figure why not actually open carry? So, I recently bought a SERPA for my Taurus 24/7 pro since this is the pistol I feel most comfortable carrying with me. Well, the latch doesn't engage the trigger guard. The 24/7 has a trigger guard that curves out as opposed to in. I was told the XD45 Serpa would work for my 24/7, but it doesn't. So, do I take a drill to the inside of the holster to carve out the needed space for the trigger guard or do I return it and try something else?

I have been through a few forums and this appears to be the best fit for this pistol, but I'm hesitant to risk destroying the holster if there is a better option out there. however the fit is so close, it is just the tip of the trigger guard that holds it up.
    Search my posts here or hit taurusarmed.net and search for 24/7 holster, there's a thread there about them. One of the members there has the XD serpa and he had to adjust one of the screws slightly to make it fit.

Found it:
    My post here: http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/413...tml#post527693
    Taurusarmed post: http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/24...-24-7-pro.html
    Last edited by mjfletcher; January 24th, 2012 at 12:36 PM.
    Please help my Baby Kitties and I avoid being homeless.

(Dauphin County)

I will check out the screw adjustments, I don't remember seeing a screw to adjust the lock, But I will give it a try.

(Monroe County)

contact atomic dog and have them make you one for your taurus if you like kydex, will run you about $55, in not go here and they will make you a nice leather one for $60 . never modify a holster, if you do and have a nd and kill someone the maker bears no responsibility.

www.simplyrugged.com
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Somerset County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post
    contact atomic dog and have them make you one for your taurus if you like kydex, will run you about $55, in not go here and they will make you a nice leather one for $60 . never modify a holster, if you do and have a nd and kill someone the maker bears no responsibility.

www.simplyrugged.com
    I have a holster from Simply Rugged and it is a quality holster, I will definatly buy more from them.

(Chester County)

Safariland makes a few holsters for the 24/7, including a couple with thumb breaks for retention, just in case you can't get the Serpa to work out.

(Dauphin County)

I was playing around with the holster to see if I liked the feel of it to determine if I wanted to try another version from the same company. So, I slid the 24/7 into the holster and "*click*" it latches. The gun is secure and not going anywhere. I tried it a few more times draw and holster, and every time it latched in perfectly. So I took the holster off and put the 24/7 back in....and nothing. no latch, no click, not even close to being secure. is this something anyone else has seen with these holsters or is the fit so close that just a slight bend of the frame is enough to let it fit?

Quote Originally Posted by Automan21k View Post
    I will check out the screw adjustments, I don't remember seeing a screw to adjust the lock, But I will give it a try.

I look at this from an investment standpoint, other than the obvious safety concerns it presents: If you ever have the need to sell the holster, it's much more difficult selling a holster that has been modified to fit a specific pistol than one that has not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast