Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default License Increase For Game Commission

The push is on, full tilt this spring to get the long awaited license increase. To that end, many organizations and groups are going to be seeking signatures on petitions over the next month. You will see them at the Eastern Outdoors and Sports Show, other Outdoor Shows, in local business's, and your sportsmen's club.

Individuals that understand what is at stake are an important part of this petition drive. You as an individual can make a huge impact on the success of this petition drive. Individuals have their own social networks of people that they can seek signatures from. These networks are usually totally different from the larger club or sportsmens organization efforts. Individuals can and do make a huge difference in petition drives.

You can help. Go to:

http://www.pfsc.org/Petition.pdf

You will find a printable petition with all the info there. Please print several and help out. Take them to work, to the gym, get them in the local sporting goods store, basically wherever you go or they will get signed.

The license increase is a yes or no proposition. Someone is either for it or against it. The time for argument is over - time to sign-up and support it, or don't.

The text of the petition reads:

Petition to Increase Cost of a General Hunting License

Petition summary and background:

The Pennsylvania Game Commission has received 2 license increases in the last 23 years. Without adequate funding, they are unable to manage our wildlife resources. In 1985, the fee was increased to $12.50 and in 1999, it was increased to $20.00. With all the increased costs and mandates, the agency can no longer continue to function effectively without an increase in funding.

Action petitioned for:

We, the undersigned, are concerned citizens who urge our Legislators to act now to increase the fee for a general hunting license. We request a minimum increase to $35.00 for a general license. We support maintaining a strong and independent Game Commission. While we may not agree with all PGC decisions on wildlife management, we believe a license increase is needed to assure our wildlife is scientifically managed in the future.

It is very important that the name be legible. Also that the town and zip code be legible as well.

Return address for your completed petitions:

PFSC State Office

2426 North 2nd Street

Harrisburg, PA 17110

The address to return completed petitions is also printed on the petition.

One signature on one petition or a box full of complete petitions - all are needed.
    Is your position a short term gain - or a long term loss?

Default Re: License Increase For Game Commission

I agree. I don't just "buck hunt" at camp one day a year. I often liken the price of my license to a Steeler Game.

Ticket $60.00
    Gas $50.00
    Tailgate $15.00
    Beer inside $20.00
    Food inside $20.00

Hmmm, that is for one full day of entertainment......I would gladly pay that much to hunt ALL YEAR

You can do the same thing for a concert, or other sporting event. Hell, a night out with the wife to see a movie and have dinner costs close to a hundred. Movies, dinner, sitter
    Jules

(Luzerne County)

This is why the PA game Commission is is so much financial trouble. Last year licenses purchases had dropped significantly due to increases and I guess they just didn't learn. Hunters rebelled as said they would not buy a license and rather take the chance without it. Well the Game Commission is self funded and this is really affecting their bottom line. This is the reason for some of the SGL ranges closing.
    Last edited by CCinPA; February 4th, 2008 at 07:47 AM.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

(Wayne County)

I don't kow about this. The state of pa has over a million hunters do the math that's alot of money plus that price is just for a general license. archery, muzzleloader, migratory bird and doe tags are all extra. I think this is just reckless spending and poor management causing all these problems. There's no need for an increase in license fees all this will do is discourage new hunters.

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by CCinPA View Post
    This is why the PA game Commission is is so much financial trouble. Last year licenses purchases had dropped significantly due to increases and I guess they just didn't learn. Hunters rebelled as said they would not buy a license and take the chance. Well the Game Commission is self funded and this is really affecting their bottom line. This is the reason for some of the SGL ranges closing.
    they have a formula to figure this out, x amt increase will cause x many to stop buying licences, will result in $x more. they still get more money.

i for one welcome it, you cant get to anywhere in the bush on buck season and not have someone within 100-150 yds of you-----even on private property!!!!!

i say raise the out of staters even more, (they will prob pay it anyway, if not, stay in your own state) and keep the jr lic's the same, as to not discourage new hunters to get started (otherwise they will kill theyre sales base in the future). maybe even have a program for first time hunters who arent jr's to get a discounted lic.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911shooter View Post
    when the world does end the 2 things that will be left are cock roaches and AK's

(Allegheny County)

Thumbs down Re: License Increase For Game Commission

They dont deserve an increase. To suggest one is a joke. They ruined deer hunting and their management practices suck. They are causing hunters to quit and those that dont arent very happy. There is not another state in the U.S. that has such a HUGE percentage of its hunters disgusted with hunting and its management. DCNR needs to take over. BADLY.

(Lawrence County)

When they cut license numbers, I'll pay more.

The PAGC is a joke.

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Allegheny County)

That is an understatement.

Almost forgot. Hey bluetick, the way you moderate at hunting pa deleting all the posts against the game commission and allowing hunters to be spoken of terribly and promoting pgc arse kissing really sucks.

I have been booted from over on the huntingpa/game commission site more times than I can count. But I have been on there longer than you have and I will still be there when you are gone. LOLOLOLOL. Count on it. dikhead! LOLOLOLOL

Cant wait to find the petitions galthatsmellslikefishes is posting around the local area. They will last about 5 seconds, that is if anyone around hear allows them to be put up! LOLOL

(Lancaster County)

I agree, no increase untill they cut the anterless lic numbers. I will not buy a lic if the increase is approved & and I been hunting this state for 35 years.There's 2 problems here 1 the PGC,2 the hunters pulling the trigger on the anterless deer.

(Allegheny County)

I agree that the antlerless lics need to be capped at a lower amount. We have a few hundred acres in Westmoreland. Back in the day we'd let anyone hunt there. If we saw strange vehicles park around the place... We walk up and introduce and ask them if they'd like to small game hunt too. Recommend hunting the foxes to help the overall condition out. We'd say we were the land owners and next time, just give us a heads up that you're back here... put a not on the door or something.

Then, as pickins got slim. We let the word out that you should have permission form us to hunt there, but otherwise go at it.

As things got even worse, we said... Let us know you're there, but please only shoot legal bucks. We wanna keep the ladies around to beef up the herd.

Now we've regretably gotten to the point, where we almost feel at competition with each other... let alone the guests. And it's fair to mention that the guests we'e had hunting our property are respectful and polite. But it sucks to think that when I started hunting it was "Hey, have at it... There's a monster on the back 200." And now we're counting our nickles, so to speak...

The PAGC needs to rethink a lot of their policies, including wildlife management. But, if the funds will be appropriated properly. I would support an increase. But, I'd be curious to see a timeline of license costs vs. inflation over the years...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast