Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Default Re: Walmart wants to SCAN my drivers license! WTF!?!?

Check into RFID tags. That's what's REALLY scary. You won't even have the option to refuse. Any scanner in close proximity can read the information. These are the tags in alot of products, ID cards, Credit cards, Your dog, and the stupidest of people. I also don't mean to rant, and I know it's sad if your dog runs away but don't let them chip your dog. The same people who won't let them scan thier drivers license will without hesitation chip thier animals. Soon it will be your children.

Just remember "what happens to the beast happens to the man"
    www.spychips.com

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by jrbib24 View Post
    Speculation=paranoia... Lots of things could happen, but until they do they are just a bunch of what ifs....
    Would you be comfortable with your daughter dating a convicted/paroled murdering rapist?

I mean, "lots of things could happen, but until they do they are just a bunch of what ifs"...

No need to answer. I'll happily accept my new label as a paranoid person.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by p-11 shooter View Post
    Check into RFID tags. That's what's REALLY scary. You won't even have the option to refuse. Any scanner in close proximity can read the information. These are the tags in alot of products, ID cards, Credit cards, Your dog, and the stupidest of people. I also don't mean to rant, and I know it's sad if your dog runs away but don't let them chip your dog. The same people who won't let them scan thier drivers license will without hesitation chip thier animals. Soon it will be your children.

Just remember "what happens to the beast happens to the man"
    www.spychips.com

While I don't follow the technology regarding the "proximity scanners", I DO understand what you mean about the pet microchips... we did it. Afterwards, I realized that I had just contributed to the progression of this technology being used in people.

And yes, the children will inevitably be a part of this "game".
    Just label it "safety",(and convenience)and people will line up for miles.

Oh and if I didn't mention it before, I'm not too keen on having my DL "swiped" by W-mart.
    (Just to stay on topic)

(Montgomery County)

Speculation=paranoia... Lots of things could happen, but until they do they are just a bunch of what ifs....
    And when they do happen, you won't find out about it until it is TOO LATE!

I'm in agreement with EM, I'm no conspiracy nut either, but they are chipping away at our very being and the vast majority does not see anything wrong with it.
    Look at history!!
    Sorry, I forgot, schools don't teach anymore!! That's a topic for another thread.

(Allegheny County)

Well normally I am as paranoid as anyone. I fail to see the issue with CURRENTLY allowing a retail establishment scan my id if I am purchasing an age restricted item. What people fail to understand is this. If you HAND them your ID, what is then to stop them from entering your DL#, Name, DOB into the register? Nothing. You typically cant see their screen so when you see them typing something while holding your DL you don't know what info they are entering in there. in the end, the CURRENT DL doesn't contain anything that isn't on the front, so I don't have as much an issue. It's amazing how magnets and rubbing alcohol can screw both the mag strip and the barcode...."Hey I can't help that the back of my DL (Faded)"

(Monroe County)

The whole point that I have been trying to make is that the whole reason behind the strip on the back of the DL is to give people a way to verify our identity for purposes that would require that we show ID. It has become way to easy for people to have false ID cards in the world today. People need to be of a certain age to purchase certain things (Tobacco, Alcohol, Mature video games, AMMUNITION and FIREARMS, and a few other things to boot). Not all places of business have adopted the use of the DL strip, but it makes sense to me that in a town that is home to a large university, that they might use it. The strip on the DL is nothing new. I have lived in PA for over four years now and lived in MI before that, and I have had a strip of some sort on my licence for the past 10 years or so. I agree with the fact that it could be a prime way for the govt to try ant keep tabs on everyone, but until I start hearing some serious talk from the capital that give me a reason to be concerned. I won't be. If I am buying a product that requires me to show ID and they want to scan my DL (that's why the strip is there) that's OK. If i have a problem with anyone swiping my DL, then I shouldn't be buying the item anyway.

They can also get the same info by typing your DL number into their system anyway.... Lets fuss about that too...

(Westmoreland County)

I am not a conspiracy nut, either. But it easy to see where it all ends up. They will add more information to the card because they can. And while it is true that DL's in Pennsylvania do not have SS numbers on them, other states do. How long before we follow suit?

When there is enough information in one, easy to steal place then you identity and everything else is up for grabs. If retailers come to rely on, or more importantly, demand the additional information before a purchase can be made with a credit card, what are you going to do?

Convenience and fear seem to be driving everything today. We use debit cards rather than cash. Why? Because it is "convenient". Because we are afraid someone will steal our cash. Retailers like them because it is hard to train someone to make change at the cash register. The debit card is easy. No change to be made. What do you give up for this convenience?

And more importantly, when it is stolen, how do you prove your identity?

Screw 'em. Don't give them anything they don't need. They don't need to know who you are. When making a purchase the only thing they need is money. Hand them cash.
    Never underestimate the value of early training.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by RandomTask View Post
    I just searched Google and dug up this:
    http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...herry0212.html
    I would have to say, "Prove it" to their claim that all they scan is your date of birth and nothing else as the article says. Your Social Security Number is on that strip and they have no business with that at all. How many times do you hear in the News that "Once again someones' laptop computer was stolen with all their customers personal information on it" That's the information they need to buy a $100,000.00 motor home in your name.

Welcome to the test run and "make you comfortable with scanning you" Mark of the Beast.

Want cheap ammo? Reload and get much better than you can buy for less than the cheap stuff.

(Westmoreland County)

The whole point that I have been trying to make is that the whole reason behind the strip on the back of the DL is to give people a way to verify our identity for purposes that would require that we show ID. It has become way to easy for people to have false ID cards in the world today. People need to be of a certain age to purchase certain things (Tobacco, Alcohol, Mature video games, AMMUNITION and FIREARMS, and a few other things to boot). Not all places of business have adopted the use of the DL strip, but it makes sense to me that in a town that is home to a large university, that they might use it. The strip on the DL is nothing new. I have lived in PA for over four years now and lived in MI before that, and I have had a strip of some sort on my licence for the past 10 years or so. I agree with the fact that it could be a prime way for the govt to try ant keep tabs on everyone, but until I start hearing some serious talk from the capital that give me a reason to be concerned. I won't be. If I am buying a product that requires me to show ID and they want to scan my DL (that's why the strip is there) that's OK. If i have a problem with anyone swiping my DL, then I shouldn't be buying the item anyway.

They can also get the same info by typing your DL number into their system anyway.... Lets fuss about that too...
    When you start hearing about it, the time to protest has passed.

Why do they need to scan? Because the literacy rate has dropped so low?

The retailer can look at the card. They do not need a record of the information in their data base.
    Never underestimate the value of early training.

(Allegheny County)

The whole point that I have been trying to make is that the whole reason behind the strip on the back of the DL is to give people a way to verify our identity for purposes that would require that we show ID. It has become way to easy for people to have false ID cards in the world today. People need to be of a certain age to purchase certain things (Tobacco, Alcohol, Mature video games, AMMUNITION and FIREARMS, and a few other things to boot). Not all places of business have adopted the use of the DL strip, but it makes sense to me that in a town that is home to a large university, that they might use it. The strip on the DL is nothing new. I have lived in PA for over four years now and lived in MI before that, and I have had a strip of some sort on my licence for the past 10 years or so. I agree with the fact that it could be a prime way for the govt to try ant keep tabs on everyone, but until I start hearing some serious talk from the capital that give me a reason to be concerned. I won't be.If I am buying a product that requires me to show ID and they want to scan my DL (that's why the strip is there) that's OK. If i have a problem with anyone swiping my DL, then I shouldn't be buying the item anyway.

(a) Watch the news much?

(b) When you finally become concerned, it will be too late.

Not trying to be confrontational here... just asking that you think about it.

Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast