Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: Walmart wants to SCAN my drivers license! WTF!?!?

WW has never asked me for ID.
    I pay cash for most everything

I once had a teenage girl at Walgrens ask for my driver's license when I was buying a pack of cigarettes, I said you are kidding right........the assistant manager said I'll take it, to her. He looked at me and smiled..........I was 55 at the time........

(Cambria County)

There are machines out there that will give up every bit of info on you that anyone could want ( I know, we have one at work. And I do mean anything) I don't think scanning your drivers license is that big a deal. Might be different if my bank records were kept on it too.

The retina scan will only show that I have a very sever astigmatism. Which hopefully would lead them to offering me a discount at the eye glass department.

It's a messed up world as it is. Try not to make it seem worse than it is.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gary in Pennsylvania View Post
    Hmmmmm....

I'd just be like "Have at it...". I don't care. Do you even know what sort of shit is even stored there on the scanable strip? What do they gain?
    And along the same lines....the kid behind the counter can, in no way, seem to benefit from scanning (assuming it was a scam).

I wouldn't mind. I want cheap ammo.
    Yes I know what is on it currently as I have a utility that will allow you to scan your PADL into a jpg and then read what is on it. Currently not a whole lot of harm PADL# DOB and I think 2 other items are on it. The problem it it will not stay thins way. Much more is going top be placed on that bar code once PA has fully implemented the PADL as a National ID card as most of the other have already done. I would never allow my PADL to be scanned by anyone except LEO and for proper cause.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by IV_Warrior View Post
    Just rub your license on that thing they use to deactivate the security tags in merchandise.....or a strong magnet. Then they can scan all they want, nothing will be there and they'll have to actually look at it, anyway.

While we're on the subject, what all IS stored on that stripe?
    That wont work as there is a bar code on your DL that can be read by the checkout scanner that reads the same bar code on products for price and inventory.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

(Warren County)

I had a similar experience @ the Walmart in Chippewa when I was on my way to the Chippewa Range to do some shooting.

I walked over to the sporting goods section and there were two walmartians behind the counter; a man and a woman. The man takes my order of three 20rd boxes of .223 Remington ammo. When he rings them up he asks for my ID. I asked, "For what?"
    The woman, who just finished watching him get the ammo for me, says in the snottiest voice I've ever heard, "Sir, you HAVE to present ID when buying ammunition."
    I looked over at her and replied, "Not for rifle ammo, only pistol. You may want to check the law on that." I then turned to the gentleman and said, "Do I look too young to buy ammo? How much do I owe you for this?"
    He didn't know what to say/do. Little miss snotty said if I didn't present my ID, I couldn't buy ammo.

I didn't buy ammo that day. And as far as I'm concerned, I'll not buy from that store again. I followed up by stopping at the customer service counter on the way out and explained my position on it, and the lady at the counter didn't seem to care. I chalked it up to her having the 'it's not my problem' syndrome.
    Zone1
    My Glock does 1d6+3 dmg, but my 18 dex makes up for that...

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

I HATE having my license scanned by anyone, especially doormen and people with handheld scanners. I have defaced my magnetic strip and barcode since I was 16. If all you need to do is check age there is no need to scan. I know this technically makes my license invalid, but I have taken more heat from friends and family then anyone else. Bouncers with the little scanners hate it, but still let me in. I have also been pulled over about 15 times and maybe once or twice an officer has told me about it, but never given me any other grief. That being said I also don't use those store cards like the advantage card and try not to shop at places that use those systems. They use those systems to create huge databases of our spending habits and I see no need to identify yourself and link yourself to every purchase you make.

No license scan
    No store club cards
    No debit cards
    CASH AND CARRY!

www.nocards.org
    Last edited by P-11 shooter; February 2nd, 2008 at 09:20 AM.

(Westmoreland County)

This is B.S.

What happens as more and more personal info is added to the DL?

My credit union wanted to scan my DL. I said no and the manager told me since enactment of the patriot act, they were obligated to ID everyone. I said B.S. and that it was only for amounts over 10K. I told her I would be happy to let the teller look at it but no way would I allow them to scan it. I told them I'd close my account if it came to that.

Everybody and their freakin' brother wants our SS# and now they want to scan DL's. Where does it all end? You know the NRA program "refuse to be a victim"? Well I "refuse to be a criminal" and "guilty until proven innocent" in the eyes of retailers and financial institutions.

They can kiss my a$$.

Hokkmike Guest

And to think that for this we shipped all our Manufacturing jobs to China!!!
    It is our own fault. We like to buy as cheap as we can and that is where they make it cheaply. Whenever I have a choice and the price difference isn't too outrageous I buy American made or assembled products.

At Wally World I have been asked, when purchasing ammo that can be used in pistols, if I am under 18. I OBVIOUSLY am not and look much older. These clerks have to do their job. If you are going to get upset and make a scene then at least call a manager first and request an explanation.

If you get mad and just walk away you are agreeing to their terms of service!
    Last edited by Hokkmike; February 2nd, 2008 at 09:27 AM. Reason: spelling (as always)

(Delaware County)

I do not shop at Wal Mart. I don't care for their stupid rules and do not like the way they treat their employees.
    Last edited by reels18; February 2nd, 2008 at 10:04 AM.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gary in Pennsylvania View Post
    Hmmmmm....

I'd just be like "Have at it...". I don't care. Do you even know what sort of shit is even stored there on the scanable strip? What do they gain?
    And along the same lines....the kid behind the counter can, in no way, seem to benefit from scanning (assuming it was a scam).

I wouldn't mind. I want cheap ammo.
    The problem with most Wal-Mart stores is that when in the Sporting Goods Dept, you may not always get someone who is actually trained on how to work in that department. I think that we are starting to immediately shout WTF anytime anyone questions us for anything. The guy probably didn't know any better and thought he was doing the right thing. You should have went up to the tobacco line and bought a pack of cigarettes. That's why that strip is there, so that retailers and bars can check your ID without worrying if it may be a fake. I bet this is extremely more important in a college town. I think that you need to lighten up a bit. If he would have pulled out the PICS form, then start complaining.

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast