Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Walmart wants to SCAN my drivers license! WTF!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by wboggs View Post
    Try that with a handgun.
    From ATF website:

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#p33

(P33) Is the transferee required to provide his or her social security number on the ATF Form 4473?

No. This information is solicited on an optional basis. However, providing this information will help ensure the lawfulness of the sale and avoid the possibility that the transferee will be incorrectly identified as a felon or other prohibited person.

[27 CFR 478.124]
    Also read this on page 2 from PA State Police.

http://www.psp.state.pa.us/psp/lib/p...s/2006_jun.pdf

I bought my XD last June and didn't put my SSN on that form either. I haven't found it stated that it is mandatory to provide SSN. Please show me where it is stated as such, for my own education. All I have found thus far says not required.

(Allegheny County)

Here's another decent Internet source for ammo. For ID, I simply took a digital picture of my DL and Carry Permit and emailed that to them which they like.

http://www.ammobank.com/
    And that is different from the Wal-Mart thing how? Yer still giving them all the info, just that they have to type it in rather than swipe it.

Quote Originally Posted by Montanya View Post
    And that is different from the Wal-Mart thing how? Yer still giving them all the info, just that they have to type it in rather than swipe it.
    Well for one, they can't really 'scan' a digital photo (unless you send them a picture of the back, in which case they might be able to scan the 2D barcode). So that's not really any different than having to show (without scanning) your ID to buy pistol ammo.

(Allegheny County)

That's not true, they get a photograph of the front of your DL; they are allowed to see that and you can be required to SHOW it to prove your age. Over the Internet it's kind of tough to determine ones apparent age.

(Allegheny County)

That's not true, they get a photograph of the front of your DL; they are allowed to see that and you can be required to SHOW it to prove your age. Over the Internet it's kind of tough to determine ones apparent age.
    My point was simply that you are in essense doing the exact same thing at wal-mart. The info on the "scan" is the info on the DL except wal-mart doesn't have your photo, the online place now has MORE info that you would be giving to wal-mart when they scan the DL

Quote Originally Posted by lexington86 View Post
    Well for one, they can't really 'scan' a digital photo (unless you send them a picture of the back, in which case they might be able to scan the 2D barcode). So that's not really any different than having to show (without scanning) your ID to buy pistol ammo.
    They don't need to "scan" anything with the digital photo of your id, you have already provided everything they need, they just have to manually type it in rather than swiping it in the register. Think of it like a credit card, if I take a photo of your credit card, I don't need to swipe it, I can still use it online without having the mag stripe. Same principal, you've already given them all the info the wal-mart crew would get.

Just figured since both of those posts had similar responses from me I would include both on 1 reply.

(Allegheny County)

PACITY^LASTNAME$SUFFIX$FIRSTNAME$^STREETADDRESS$^6 36025DRIVERSLICNUM=MMYYEXPIRATIONYYYYMMDDBIRTHDAY=

Not sure what the 646025 is, doesn’t seem to correspond to anything on the front of my liscense the rest I could at least match to items on the front.

I have a barcode scanner too but I will have to grab a new power cable from work before I can scan that and see what it says.
    That string, 646025, is either a code relating to your endorsements, restrictions and class of license. OR it refers to the issuing PennDOT Drivers Service Center where you got the license.

Just for reference, I have a Class A CDL, No Endorsements and 1 restriction for Corrective Lenses. The string on my card reads "636025".

What do you have, Montanya? By comparing we may be able to figure it out...

(Lehigh County)

One of the biggest reasons they scan is because it's alot harder to fake the magnetic strip on the back then it is the ID information on the front..

I hate big brother as much as the next guy, but you really give more information to the store when you scan that "club shopper card" with every purchase. lol

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Morel42 View Post
    One of the biggest reasons they scan is because it's alot harder to fake the magnetic strip on the back then it is the ID information on the front..

I hate big brother as much as the next guy, but you really give more information to the store when you scan that "club shopper card" with every purchase. lol
    Yeah, that was the point I was making when I asked if they paid with plastic... But I'm sure the paranoids only used cash in $5s... Bc the $20s have magnetic big brother strips...
    Last edited by ScaredOnce; February 3rd, 2008 at 04:22 AM.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Morel42 View Post

Yeah, this thread is a bit over the top. Walmart has an interest in making sure they're only selling ammo to people that can lawfully purchace it. If they fuck up, the BATF pulls their FFL, and no more ammo at walmart.

They're covering their bases, that's all. I know bars that swipe ID's for the same reason: if they let underage people in, the PLCB pulls their licence and they stand to loose a lot of money.

Talking Re: Walmart wants to SCAN my drivers license! WTF!?!?

Let's just all have the "666 Mark of the Beast" chips implanted in our foreheads and be done with it already

Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast