Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Suggestions ~ "Best Bang for the Buck" AR15 - M16 Bolt / Carrier Assembly

Currently in the initial stages of putting together an M16A2 quasi-clone rifle. The upper assembly is a like new surplus FN M16A2 with hammer forged 1/7 barrel . The lower being a DPMS AR15 receiver.

Have been poking around on the Internet and find all sorts of new and used AR/M16 bolt carrier sets. Since this rifle is going into our "rainy day" cache, it needs to be reliable.

Need a suggestion or two as to a source for the best "bang for the buck" AR15 - M16 Bolt carrier assembly.

Found one outfit on the WEB that is offering complete BCM (Bravo Company) M16 bolts for $139.95 shipped. Meanwhile, Palmetto Armory (PSA) offers their mil-spec AR15 / M16 Bolt Carrier group with charging handle for $110 plus seven bucks shipping.

Over on that somewhat demented AR15.com WEB site, the mouse gun disciples are constantly praising all BCM, Yankee Engineering and Daniels Defense products as being the high quality premium makers of all things AR related.

Then again, perhaps a second-hand surplus M16 bolt carrier group for $65 might serve just as well?

Last edited by Capt Quahog; January 22nd, 2012 at 12:43 PM.

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: Suggestions ~ "Best Bang for the Buck" AR15 - M16 Bolt / Carrier Assembly

You can get a completely stripped BCM bolt carrier for $51 or one with the gas key properly staked for $69. A complete BCM BCG is $140. Do you need a complete BCG? CMT is $130 for a complete BCG and LMT is $130 for a complete BCG. And they are all full-auto M16 BCG's.

I use a BCM complete BCG in my M&P15. No problems.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Suggestions ~ "Best Bang for the Buck" AR15 - M16 Bolt / Carrier Assembly

Thank you for the fast reply.

Yes . . . actually need a complete bolt / carrier unit that can be dropped into the M16A2 upper. Those BCM units in the overall seemed to be a good value for a quality mil-spec product.

After giving a lot of thought to essential "rainy day" (SHTF / Teotwawki) rifles, the dark horse candidate AR15 came up from almost last place on my list to front of the line. All things considered, due to the modular design, wide availability of ammunition and parts, the AR15 platform wins this family's homestead defensive arms evaluation competition.

Figure too that with 1/7 twist barrel, those heavier 5.56 NATO rounds can be deployed if required. The 20" full length barrel also gives the powerful round a higher velocity than if fired from a 14.5 or even 16-inch barrel. In my humble opinion, a good standard barrel AR15 is capable of providing a substantial amount of hard punch firepower.

Should anything else of fatter caliber be needed, there are a couple of 30.06 M1 Garands along with a 45-70 Marlin Guide Gun among others stashed around here someplace.

Thanks again for the info . . . .

(Washington County)

Palmetto State Armory or Spikes Tactical (From AIMSurplus) are both $110 and the best deals I think.
    They have all the specs as the BCM/DD/Colt ect...

If you want the extra assurance, spend another $20 and get the DD from Aimsurplus for $130
    or an extra $30 and get the BCM

My Current BCG is a PSA I got for $100 on sale.
    My next build will have a BCM, not because the PSA hasnt been 100% reliable, but for $30 more Its piece of mind.
    Last edited by Saddlerocker; January 22nd, 2012 at 08:51 PM.

(Chester County)

I just bought a bcm for one of my ar's. Most people will just say whatever bcg they bought is the best. It's a natural human trait. I have a hard time seeing the bcm being any better than a psa or spikes.

(Lackawanna County)

Most critical part of an AR....is this where you really wanna skimp over $20?

The best bang for the buck as far as a bolt carrier goes that I've found so far is Core15. $129 for a complete bolt carrier group.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Allegheny County)

BCM, DD, LMT, Colt, CMT, Spikes, PSA.

(Northampton County)

Not saying I would recommend it, but I have a DPMS FA BCG with thousands of rounds of BETA dumps on it in full auto.

Again, I'm certainly not recommending DPMS. I just like to bring it up now and then since DPMS gets most of their bad rap for their bolts. I guess some break and some don't. Maybe mine breaks eventually.

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by arjohnson View Post
    BCM, DD, LMT, Colt, CMT, Spikes, PSA.
    This. I'm currently running Spikes BCG's ($109.95 shipped from Aim) and can't complain at all. 3,500- 4,000 rounds on one and looking good.

$65 is a good price for a backup to throw in your range bag, though. Where did you find that price, and what make?

John

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast