Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default New to PFOA. I think I was unjustly denied my CCW in Philly. Appeal in Feb. Thoughts?

Back story

I applied for my CCW in Sept 2011, in Oct or Nov I received a letter stating I was denied. (I'm posting this from work, so I don't have it readily available to post along with the other images atthe moment, but when I get home I'll edit with an update.)

I was denied on the following criteria "Applicant is an individual whose character and reputation is such that the individual would be likely to act in a manner dangerous to public safety", "Applicant was untruthful or not forthcoming about criminal history" and "Applicant is denied due to good cause".

I was absolutely blown away by this. As far as I knew, I did not have a criminal record. I'm a Paramedic, I work with narcotics, so I was subject to a stringent background check before school and also before employment.

However, I was arrested for a fist-fight when I was 16 in highschool. I received a differed adjudication and upon completing a 90 day grace period, my case was dismissed and my record expunged when I turned 18.

Attached to this post is are 2 screen caps of the PA Public Record Criminal Docket look up. One when I searched only by my name and another where searched by name and date of birth. I found something very interesting. Apparently, there is a person with the same First and Last name, and was born on the same day and in the same month as me, but a different year. This guy has a prior sheet going back to the 70's littered with B&E's, weapons and Agg. Assault charges. When I searched my name and birthdate, the search reported no records found.

Just wondering if you guys think I have a leg to stand on?

Link to the aforementioned screen caps. http://imgur.com/a/vCTrr

TL;DR denied ccw, appealing decision, arrested at 16, adjudicated and expunged, no record, guy with same name and birthday has a RAP sheet longer than I am tall.

(York County)

Default Re: New to PFOA. I think I was unjustly denied my CCW in Philly. Appeal in Feb. Thoug

I think you should definitely appeal this and not let them use vague excuses to deny you a permit. I had my permit approved the first time I applied, but I was concerned because they required 2 written character references. I think finding 2 people who like you is not a good way to know if this person should be granted a permit.

I would be interested to know if you get success with your appeal and if I could help at all. I was afraid of this when I applied and I always feel like they are more concerned with legal gun owners who want to follow the rules than the criminals that kill on a nightly basis.

I listen to police radio via online scanner feeds in Philadelphia and I am disturbed how frequent the reports of assaults and shootings are called in. I think the authorities are overwhelmed and have lost their apprehension to the volume of violence they deal with. I am upset by it all the time as I live in this city, and I am especially upset these days as I read about the man that was beaten to death try to get a cab. This was a very sad story.

Good luck,

Adrian (new newest member....at this very moment)

The End of Josiah's Railroad, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)

Default Re: New to PFOA. I think I was unjustly denied my CCW in Philly. Appeal in Feb. Thoug

I think they probably mixed the two of you up.

Look into getting your Arizona Permit, or Florida License to carry firearms, these are NOT loop holes, what ever Nutter and Seth Williams may want to believe search the site there is a ton of information on here about this.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-car...da-permit.html
    Last edited by bigandy1966; January 22nd, 2012 at 08:41 AM.
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

You're getting the Philly screwing. Contact an attorney. In the meantime apply for a FL or AZ permit, as already mentioned.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Lycoming County)

D_Fizzle:

Check this out:

http://www.mylegalheat.com/classes/p...at.%2002/04/12

I just started a thread asking for info from those here that may have one to elaborate.

They also are having them at Cabellas in Hamburg.

It is at the Farm Show.

Might be another way for you to beat the Philly Pols.

Just a thought ...

God bless!!

PPP
    I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. - Jesus Christ

Go for the aforementioned AZ and/or Fl license while fighting with the Philly GPU. Your battle with them is going to be protracted even if you have exactly everything needed to prove your poin to them. It takes months for them to process a properly filed application, I would imagine a glitch in the system will confound them for many more months. Your dealing with an enity that does not want to issue a LTCF to anyone. They are going to drag their feet with you and in my own opinion that delay is entirely by design. But do endeavor to get the PA LTCF. In the meantime your good to go with the others.

Good luck with this, and be sure to update us. We have been following such things in Philly while sharpening the pitchforks for the day the citizenry of Philly revolt.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

(Luzerne County)

I was once told by a Luzerne county sheriff, they do have the right to deny you by the way you look as well. If they feel like you shouldn't have a ccw they can deny you. This is completely bullshit that they can do this, but I believe its been done.

(Philadelphia County)

That is terrible. I expected something like this to happen to me. When I moved here and applied for my apartment someone with the same name and place of bitth had a long rap sheet and my landlord questioned my character. She then realized we had a different SSN and I got my apartment. Although the SSN on the philly carry permit paperwork is optional, I thought it was helpful to avoid things like this. Hopefully this get cleared up.

damn sorry to hear man...

def file and appeal asap, and get and az or fl license...

i see philly gpu hasn't changed a bit!

also, why not just move to the county like i did...
    Last edited by 350CI; January 24th, 2012 at 02:47 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast