Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Mifflin County)

Smile Ruger SR40 vs Taurus 24/7 G2 vs Magnum Research Baby Eagle

Hi all,

My first post on this sight. Just joined today. While I'm not a novice regarding long guns I am when it comes to pistols. In fact I am shortly ordering my first semi auto pistol.

The purpose for this purchase is protection and shooting with the grand kids. I have spent a lot of time doing internet searches and as an entry point, I narrowed my choice down to one of these three.

If anyone would like to add their thoughts and experiences it would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Shoots For Fun

(Chester County)

Default Re: Ruger SR40 vs Taurus 24/7 G2 vs Magnum Research Baby Eagle

Can't speak for the other two but I love my Ruger SR40C. Perfect fit in my hands, works every time, and handles the .40 very well.

(Adams County)

This particular Ruger platform is fantastic, I have the 9mm version and I love it. In fact I carry it everyday!

(Luzerne County)

I'll second the motion on the SR40c. Haven't shot the other two but the Ruger is a great gun. The SR40c is a little more concealable than the SR40 but I think they use the same mags. The .40 has good penetration without harsh recoil.

The SR9 platform is nice and light, accurate and reliable value pistol. I own a SR9 and a SR9c both have functioned f flawlessly so far. My wife had problems with the SR9 so we got her a SR9c, it can use the same albeit longer 17 round magazines. field stripping is easy.
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Lancaster County)

I would first take the Taurus completely off the list. IMO they have only one reputable pistol, the PT 1911. If I had to choose between the other two I would personally go with the Baby Eagle as long as its an all steel model. While admittedly never owning one I have shot a few and they are smooth and extremely accurate solid guns. If it is polymer framed I would pass on it though. Ruger also has a solid reputation and you will most likely find more choices as far as mags and holsters. I have never shot one so I cant say how they feel but as long as you scratch the 24/7 you will be fine.
    Last edited by bripro; January 22nd, 2012 at 11:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bripro View Post
    I would first take the Taurus completely off the list. IMO they have only one reputable pistol, the PT 1911. If I had to choose between the other two I would personally go with the Baby Eagle as long as its an all steel model. While admittedly never owning one I have shot a few and they are smooth and extremely accurate solid guns. If it is polymer framed I would pass on it though. Ruger also has a solid reputation and you will most likely find more choices as far as mags and holsters. I have never shot one so I cant say how they feel but as long as you scratch the 24/7 you will be fine.
    Wow, dude, try owning a 24/7 G2 before you take everyone's word on the Taurus shit boat of lore.

The Ruger is nice, but the G2 performs every bit as good, comparable price, and Taurus' much better, exclusive, fix it, no matter what, warranty (well, if you steam roll the thing, they may not fix it). I own two G2's and they function, flawlessly, and they have been shot well more than a couple hundred times. I'm of the opinion to handle all of them and then decide. They all go bang when you pull the trigger.
    Last edited by harold63; January 22nd, 2012 at 12:21 PM.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Erie County)

I have a PT145 Gen 3 it shoots flawlessly and shuts up all the gun snobs, and brand humpers each and every time I allow one to shoot it and it out shoots their Kimbers and Glocks.
    Seriously fire a gun more than once,and don't listen to the YouTube "experts"
    before purchasing a weapon.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jason In Erie View Post
    I have a PT145 Gen 3 it shoots flawlessly and shuts up all the gun snobs, and brand humpers each and every time I allow one to shoot it and it out shoots their Kimbers and Glocks.
    Seriously fire a gun more than once,and don't listen to the YouTube "experts"
    before purchasing a weapon.
    Your gun is NOT one of the choices.
    I have shot the Ruger and it fuctioned fine. It was the 9mm, though, was very light and with the lighter caliber then 40s&w, still left my hand almost stinging. I am, however, used to shooting all steel handguns, which absorb better, IMO.

(Northampton County)

The baby eagle in poly or steel would be the way to . They are extremely well built pistols. Steel easy on the hands at the range as far as recoil goes and built like a tank. The poly is an excellent carry choice. Brian / EFR
    www.EastonFirearmsRefinishing.com Owner/Operator, NRA Pistol Instructor

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast