Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Savage vs Remington

Looking to buy Daughter #1 her own first rifle. She's as tall as I am, so a "kid" size isn't going to cut it.

This week as Dick's they have the

Savage Arms 64GXP or Mark II GXP

or

Remington 597

in my price range.

I know the Remington name but not Savage Arms...other that reading here. The Savage models don't seem to be on SA's website...the ad says "Only at Dick's"...should I be worried about that?

I am partial to the wood grain stock vs the OD stock that the Remington seems to have.

(York County)

Default Re: Savage vs Remington

I assume you are looking for a semi-auto .22 based on the models you mentioned. Both are very good guns, the resale value of the Remington will be considerably higher down the road. But neither one would be my first choice when it comes to a semi-auto .22 I would buy a Ruger 10/22. The 10/22 will retain its value far better and because there is a never ending supply of aftermarket accessories available the gun will never get boring. You can turn it into a target rifle, or a tactical AR-15 lookalike or dress it up to look and feel like a Thompson or an MG42

Savage makes good stuff. One I looked at at Dicks a while back had a very pretty wood stock. The company has a rep for producing accurate fire arms, and I've not heard anything bad about these. They aren't as common as the others, so parts/extra magazines might be more difficult to obtain. (Note: I was going to get my wife one of these, until she set her heart on a lever action .22. Not that that is a bad thing. )

Some don't feel the 597 is very good. Reports of miss-fires and poor build quality. Others love their 597, saying it is reliable and accurate. Some of it's poor reputation was earned by the bad magazines that came with the first couple years of production. Later models came with better magazines, but the poor reputation has remained. It might serve you well, or you might have to return it in hopes of getting one that is 'right.'

Also consider Marlin 60 and Ruger 10/22. The former is simple, reliable, and has been for decades, earning it countless fans. The later is other peoples favorite semi .22 rifle, and it has a world of aftermarket add-ons to keep you busy, if that's your thing. These are the 'big 2' in semi .22s. Both are very solid choices.
    Last edited by new_shooter; September 12th, 2011 at 12:16 PM.

(Bucks County)

Thanks for the info. I'm certainly not set on any particular brand. Not even set on semi auto. Both daughters are working with my Interarms bolt action right now. Daughter #1 turns 13 in January so I'd like to get her her own.

the only thing I'm really set on is the wood grain.

Keep the suggestions coming.

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    ...the only thing I'm really set on is the wood grain.
    That was my wifes direction too. As we looked over Marlins, Rugers and Savages, she spotted some Henry and Marlin lever actions, and said THAT'S the sort of rifle she wanted. Who was I to argue?

Have you taken your girls shopping? I learned a few things as I had my wife try shouldering a few models in a store. Stocks that felt good to me didn't fit her shape well at all.

(Westmoreland County)

Thumbs up Re: Savage vs Remington

Big thumbs up for the Savage - I have 3 bolt-actions from them (22 LR, 17 HMR, and 308), all are very accurate and trouble free. All have detachable box magazines, which is my preference - but extra Savage magazines are not the cheapest thing in the world...

I wouldn't worry about the package not showing up on Savage Arms's website - any of the "XP" variants basically mean they've pre-mounted an entry-level scope on an existing model (e.g. GXP == Savage Mark II G + rings/scope).

One of my Savage's is the Mark II FSS (not a package with scope, but comes with fiber optic sights & is stainless steel) and it probably sees the most time at the rifle range due to the affordable nature of the ammo...

Not sure if you're set on using a physical store, but if you've got an FFL who will handle shipments/tranfers you can probably save a few bucks at one of the online places...

P.S. The Mark II models all come with their AccuTrigger which is great - the Model 64 does not...if you go with Savage, make sure to get a model that has the AccuTrigger...
    Last edited by Norun6; September 12th, 2011 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Mark II vs Model 64 - AccuTrigger

(Bucks County)

Due to all of the positive reviews...I think I've decided to go with the Mark II GXP. although i may ask to see a Ruger 10/22...just to compare

Since I haven't purchased a gun in well over 15 yrs....and even that was just a FTF transfer....what should I expect at the store? I know little bit more paper work than purchasing a TV ...but what can i expect?

Maybe a dumb question....but the rifle comes with a scope...you want to look thru the scope to make sure it's not broken? To where should i point the gun when I do this? Just toward the rifle wall? Is that a far enough distance?

(Columbia County)

Those aren't dumb questions at all.

As for the paperwork, they will have you fill out an initial form, just follow the rules and use the approved abreviations, etc. and you'll be fine. They will take your license and do a call in to get approval.

With the scope you really won't know if it's broken at the store to be honest with you. I mean you can ask the gentleman where he'd be comfortable with you pointing the cleared and safe gun and he will tell you where you can point and look. However, you really won't know do to the close distance in the store and because you won't be doing tracking in the store to check adjustments and whether zero is holding etc. You really need range time to determine those issues. If there is a problem with a newly purchased item the store should handle it and if they don't, you go through the manufacterer for warranty/replacement.

HTH.

(Bucks County)

Update:

Bought the Mark II yesterday.

Bought it at Dicks....and they don't have a register at the gun counter...so started at gun counter and confirmed it's what I wanted. Walked up the to front register where they charged $2 to start a background check. Took the receipt back to gun counter where I filled out the form and he ran the check. Then he carried it back up to the front register where they then rang up the sale price and an additional $3 for the background check.

So I had to stand in line for a front register twice...at 530pm...during holiday shopping season....

Otherwise, easy transaction.

For future reference...this would be the mag for this rifle?

and I found it interesting...this was printed inside the box...

ETA: Oh and the wife says " I can't believe you bought your daughter a gun before you bought me one."
    Last edited by mrjam2jab; December 14th, 2011 at 04:57 PM.

Savage vs Remington

Pending which one it is dollar for dollar feature for feature I'll take the Remington. but usually the Savage is a $100 or $500 cheaper. I like and own both rifles the Remington looks a little better but the Savages can put a hole anywhere the Remington can they are equally accurate.IMHO

If I can get a high end Savage for the price of mid line Remington I'd get the Savage. Like one of the Savage Tactical rifles for the price of a BDL, I'd get the Savage. Dollar for dollar and features I'd get the Remington.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast