Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: remington 700 vs Howa

Quote Originally Posted by animalmother85 View Post
    Yes it does.

Also, have you ever handled that stock? For the money, I would go for a B&C M40 stock instead of that cheesy thing.
    ^^^^ Quoted for truth. The SPS DOES come in .308. I'm guessing that you mean SPS Tactical, since that's the heavy barreled version, but you may not mean it. If you're going to make a rifle look like a sniper rifle you do not want the standard SPS or ADL. They will just look silly no matter what other "tactical stock" you put them in. You'll want to look at things like the Varmint and SPS Tactical, NOT the ADL and SPS rifles. I'm in full agreement that you do NOT want that choate stock. Your money would be better spent on something else. You can choose any Bell & Carlson stock and be doing better than that Choate. I'm personally not the biggest fan of the Bell & Carlson M40 stock, but that's just me. Either way, all of their stocks are rock solid, and will hold up.

The Remington SPS, SPS Varmint and SPS Tactical all come in 308. Of those three, you would best be suited with the latter two. If I were to pick between the Varmint and the Tactical, I would pick the Varmint.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Bucks County)

Buy American buy Remington.

(Allegheny County)

No i have never handled that stock. And sorry i typed that incorrectly the gander mountain didn't have the any sps left in in the 308 as they only had a few left. And whats wrong with the stock is it just made shity

Quote Originally Posted by moose83 View Post
    No, I have never handled that stock. Sorry, I typed that incorrectly; Gander Mountain didn't have any SPSs left in in 308. What's wrong with the stock I listed? Is it just made shitty
    Yes.
    They are just an all around poor stock. Plus, if you want the 'authentic' sniper look, not the mall ninja/airsoft look, those with a trained eye will know better.

(Allegheny County)

what do you guys think of this stock i like the pistol grip styling. also i would like a mcree stock but they are a lil pricey. and also prob a dumb question but i just purchased a remington 700 SPS 308 cal 26 inch barrel with a scope from gander how do i tell if its the short or long action?

Quote Originally Posted by moose83 View Post
    what do you guys think of this stock i like the pistol grip styling. also i would like a mcree stock but they are a lil pricey. and also prob a dumb question but i just purchased a remington 700 SPS 308 cal 26 inch barrel with a scope from gander how do i tell if its the short or long action?
    It's a short action.

Old thread, but may prove useful...

http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/641...view-long.html
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Juniata County)

The 700 I owned was an LTR, and I currently own a Howa-both in .223. The 700 has better options for upgrades as previously mentioned, but they are both fine rifles. The LTR typically shot 1.5-2" groups at 300 yards (1/2 MOA). So far the Howa's worst group is .6" at 100 yards. I put a Rifle Basics trigger on the LTR, and it is the next purchase I will make for the Howa. I was looking for varmint guns, not sniper wannabe rifles. I believe that either will work if accuracy is your goal, because a look does nothing for functionality, accuracy, or anything but a look. If you want a rifle to tinker with pick Remington or Savage. If you want something you can shoot and have fun with, add the Howa to your considerations. About the only thing I can see you doing right off the bat is a trigger change (Remington or Howa) or stock change (Howa or Savage). I like them all as long as they shoot. Either one will work for you.
    Most of being smart is knowing what you are dumb at.

(Allegheny County)

cool thanks for all the info guys. i actually like the trigger on the remington its set a 3 1/2 lb out of the box and is adjustable. and oops i forgot the link to the stock. http://www.mountsplus.com/AR-15_Acce...-K97000-C.html

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast