Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 1911 high capacity magazines

Pro mag makes a single stack 15 round magazine for the 1911. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with these. They will be used for the range and nothing else, unless they are deemed reliable, then it may not hurt to a few in the home. Does anyone else make a magazine similar to this? $23 seems like a fair price if they work well. The Pro Mags I had for my Bersa and the ones I use for my 10/22 worked/work very well. Any replies and opinions are appreciated.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: 1911 high capacity magazines

Generally throwing your gun is more effective than using a ProMag. Yes, there are others out there that make higher capacity mags for the 1911. Theres been hicap mags for them longer than ProMag has been a thorn in the gun garden.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Centre County)

I enjoy my Wilson Combat 10 rounders, unless you want more......I think I've seen 1911 Beta mags somewhere...

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Generally throwing your gun is more effective than using a ProMag. Yes, there are others out there that make higher capacity mags for the 1911. Theres been hicap mags for them longer than ProMag has been a thorn in the gun garden.
    Yea, I've heard. I didn't know if maybe they got these I'm referring to right, and they actually work. I may try one just to satiate the curiosity, and if it sucks, into the parts bin it will go.

Quote Originally Posted by SNAFUG36 View Post
    I enjoy my Wilson Combat 10 rounders, unless you want more......I think I've seen 1911 Beta mags somewhere...
    I saw the WC mags, but that 15 is what got my attention. I'll look for Beta. It did not come up when I Googled.

(Philadelphia County)

I tried out a 10-rd Chip McCormick in my Kimber full size. It has some issues feeding at first, but now it seems flawless. I don't use it much at all though and only load it with ball ammo as a back up mag. The Kimber is neither a primary HD or SD gun either. If I were to make it a primary, I will ONLY use Wilson Combat 8-rounders. They are 100% flawless and they seem to have the most positive reviews.

Of what I've read of Pro-mags, the reviews have been mixed. Mixed reviews are enough for me to stay away from when it comes to non-factory mags.

Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama

Quote Originally Posted by mythaeus View Post

Of what I've read of Pro-mags, the reviews have been mixed. Mixed reviews are enough for me to stay away from when it comes to non-factory mags.

Al
    Me too. I have always stayed away from gimmicky gun items, but this tickled me fancy. They would only be used for 50 yd slow fire just so I could shoot a few more without having to stop. It's not so much a reloading issue as it is a standing and concentrating for a longer period without reloading. Thanks for the chime.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    Me too. I have always stayed away from gimmicky gun items, but this tickled me fancy. They would only be used for 50 yd slow fire just so I could shoot a few more without having to stop. It's not so much a reloading issue as it is a standing and concentrating for a longer period without reloading. Thanks for the chime.
    I should've read your post more closely. If it's for range purposes only, then I would give it a shot. If you find that it's reliable, make that your 2nd or 3rd backup. Sorry, I wish I had some experience with them to give you better input. I know they make a 30-rounder for the Five-seveN and I'm considering trying out one.

Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama

(Westmoreland County)

I have some 10 round Chip McCormick mags for range use, both blued and stainless. They have always performed flawlessly from day one in any 1911 so far. Both plastic and metal followers types mags work great for me and anyone else who tried them out.

I have tried them for carry in a vertical shoulder holster, a little more awkward, but is doable for us 'husky' build guys.
    LUKE 11:21 == Proverbs 29:2 = Proverbs 25:28

(York County)

Wilson combat 10 rounders it the biggest I would use. other than that I use wilson combat 8 rounders

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast