Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Cumberland County)

Default Cumberland County Court House / Jury Duty -- UPDATE

Yup.... I'll be there on Monday.

I'm supposed to enter through the East Annex. Do they have a place at that entrance for me to secure my pistol? I know they have some at the main entrance, but the instructions state that "Jurors will not be permitted to enter through the main entrance..."

I have a real problem leaving it in the car.
    1. It is unattended all day in a parking garage. I'm sure the garage security is top notch . If the garage is full, I'm to park on the street.
    2. I'm on a jury. Should I be on a case and we find the defendant guilty, I don't particularly like the idea of walking to my car at the end of the day - unarmed.

Thanks.
    Last edited by daschnoz; January 23rd, 2012 at 08:03 PM.
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Cumberland County Court House / Jury Duty

Quote Originally Posted by daschnoz View Post
    Yup.... I'll be there on Monday.

I'm supposed to enter through the East Annex. Do they have a place at that entrance for me to secure my pistol? I know they have some at the main entrance, but the instructions state that "Jurors will not be permitted to enter through the main entrance..."

I have a real problem leaving it in the car.
    1. It is unattended all day in a parking garage. I'm sure the garage security is top notch . If the garage is full, I'm to park on the street.
    2. I'm on a jury. Should I be on a case and we find the defendant guilty, I don't particularly like the idea of walking to my car at the end of the day - unarmed.

Thanks.
    The law requires that they store it for you. You might want to even print out the applicable statute to take with you. The law requires signage at every public entrance. You may need to enter at the main entrance to check your firearm, and then exit and re-enter where ever jurors normally go, but personally, I would insist that they fulfill their legal obligation.
    §913. Possession of Firearm or Other Dangerous Weapon in Court Facility.

(a) Offense defined.—A person commits an offense if he:

(1) knowingly possesses a firearm or other dangerous weapon in a court facility or knowingly causes a firearm or other dangerous weapon to be present in a court facility; or

(2) knowingly possesses a firearm or other dangerous weapon in a court facility with the intent that the firearm or other dangerous weapon be used in the commission of a crime or knowingly causes a firearm or other dangerous weapon to be present in a court facility with the intent that the firearm or other dangerous weapon be used in the commission of a crime.

(b) Grading.—

(1) Except as otherwise provided in paragraph (3), an offense under subsection (a)(1) is a misdemeanor of the third degree.

(2) An offense under subsection (a)(2) is a misdemeanor of the first degree.

(3) An offense under subsection (a)(1) is a summary offense if the person was carrying a firearm under section 6106(b) (relating to firearms not to be carried without a license) or 6109 (relating to licenses) and failed to check the firearm under subsection (e) prior to entering the court facility.

(c) Exceptions.—Subsection (a) shall not apply to:

(1) The lawful performance of official duties by an officer, agent or employee of the United States, the Commonwealth or a political subdivision who is authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation or prosecution of any violation of law.

(2) The lawful performance of official duties by a court official.

(3) The carrying of rifles and shotguns by instructors and participants in a course of instruction provided by the Pennsylvania Game Commission under 34 Pa. C.S. §2704 (relating to eligibility for license).

(4) Associations of veteran soldiers and their auxiliaries or members of organized armed forces of the United States or the Commonwealth, including reserve components, when engaged in the performance of ceremonial duties with county approval.

(5) The carrying of a dangerous weapon or firearm unloaded and in a secure wrapper by an attorney who seeks to employ the dangerous weapon or firearm as an exhibit or as a demonstration and who possesses written authorization from the court to bring the dangerous weapon or firearm into the court facility. (Added by L.1995, Act 66(2), eff. 11/22/95.)

(d) Posting of notice.—Notice of the provisions of subsections (a) and (e) shall be posted conspicuously at each public entrance to each courthouse or other building containing a court facility and each court facility, and no person shall be convicted of an offense under subsection (a)(1) with respect to a court facility if the notice was not so posted at each public entrance to the courthouse or other building containing a court facility anti at the court facility unless the person had actual notice of the provisions of subsection (a).

(e) Facilities for checking firearms or other dangerous weapons.—Each county shall make available at or within the building containing a court facility by July 1, 2002, lockers or similar facilities at no charge or cost for the temporary checking of firearms by persons carrying firearms under section 6106(b) or 6109 or for the checking of other dangerous weapons that are not otherwise prohibited by law. Any individual checking a firearm, dangerous weapon or an item deemed to be a dangerous weapon at a court facility must be issued a receipt. Notice of the location of the facility shall be posted as required under subsection (d). (Chgd. by L.1999, Act 59, eff 2/15/00.)

(f) Definitions.—As used in this section, the following words and phrases shall have the meanings given to them in this subsection:

“Court facility.” The courtroom of a court of record; a courtroom of a community court; the courtroom of a district justice; a courtroom of the Philadelphia Municipal Court; a courtroom of the Pittsburgh Magistrates Court; a courtroom of the Traffic Court of Philadelphia; judge’s chambers; witness rooms; jury deliberation rooms; attorney conference rooms; prisoner holding cells; offices of court clerks, the district attorney, the sheriff and probation and parole officers; and any adjoining corridors.

“Dangerous weapon.” A bomb, grenade, blackjack, sandbag, metal knuckles, dagger, knife (the blade of which is exposed in an automatic way by switch, push-button, spring mechanism or otherwise) or other implement for the infliction of serious bodily injury which serves no common lawful purpose.

“Firearm.” Any weapon, including a starter gun, which will or is designed to expel a projectile or projectiles by the action of an explosion, expansion of gas or escape of gas. The term does not include any device designed or used exclusively for the firing of stud cartridges, explosive rivets or similar industrial ammunition.

(Added by L. 1995, Spec. Sess. 1, Act 17(1), eff 10/11/95.)
    Last edited by gnbrotz; January 20th, 2012 at 10:14 PM.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: Cumberland County Court House / Jury Duty

So, I get to the courthouse and go to the main entrance as instructed. The guard asked if I was there for jury duty. I responded yes, and he instructed me around the corner to an alternate entrance. The exchange then proceeded as follows:

Me - Do they have a place where I may secure my sidearm at that entrance?
    Guard - Didn't they send you a sheet that tells you not to bring it?
    Me - Yes, but I have every right to carry a firearm.
    Guard (as he turns to walk away) - Yeah, it's your right, but you shouldn't have brought it.

Me (internal dialog) - ass hat
    Me (spoken) - Thank you.

When I got to the juror entrance, I handed my DL and my LTCF to the guard and told him that I needed to check my sidearm. "No problem. Hang on for a second (while he found the form and a pen) ". Gun checked, through the metal detector, and on with the rest of the day.

I think the reason they don't want jurors bringing firearms is because they only have 4 lock boxes at that entrance. I'd hate to see what would happen if Kim Stauffer and crew showed up.
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

(Cumberland County)

Thumbs up Re: Cumberland County Court House / Jury Duty -- UPDATE

thanks, good info to know. have not been called up yet but it is bound to happen. now i,ll be prepared.