Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Beaver County)

Default reloadin for 40 cal glock?

So today I got a glock 23, I wanted to see what all the glock hype was about and I wanted something better for edc. Now I reload all my shells and in my reloadin manuals it says dont reload 40 s&w for glocks. So I'm wondering if anyone out there reloads 40s for glocks. I'm gonna load for it anyway cause if I can't shoot reloads I dont want the gun. Ill be usin 180gr berrys plated hp with w231 powder, anyone use that combination if they do in fact load for glocks. Also if its gonna let go whats gonna give? Hope to git some positive feed back about this cause so far I like the gun. Thanks in advance guys.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: reloadin for 40 cal glock?

I thought I really somewhere about because the cartridge is not fully supported. And something about reloads and the warranty.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by RapidRoy View Post
    I thought I really somewhere about because the cartridge is not fully supported. And something about reloads and the warranty.
    Yes its because the case is not fully supported, but I got it used not worried bout warranty lol. But if i take my time like I always do when I reload and make em as close to factory as possible I should be good I think. I'm gonna take extra care when loadin since the 40 is already a high pressure round.

Tantric Shooting Team

(Luzerne County)

In the gen3s and gen4s the case is just as supported as any other name brand, if not more. If I take out the barrels and drop a round in the chamber the exposed case at the top of the feed ramp in my gen3 g27 looks exactly the same as my sig 226. Get a Lee FCD or bulge buster and keep a close eye on your brass, you should be fine.

Having said that, the 40 is a high pressure cartridge. You need a slow burning powder and you should stick to low or mid range loads from your manuals. I have no experience with W231, though Google shows that it is good to go in 40. I use Power Pistol and HS6 in mine.
    Let us hope for the best, but let us also prepare for the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by csmith View Post
    In the gen3s and gen4s the case is just as supported as any other name brand, if not more. If I take out the barrels and drop a round in the chamber the exposed case at the top of the feed ramp in my gen3 g27 looks exactly the same as my sig 226. Get a Lee FCD or bulge buster and keep a close eye on your brass, you should be fine.
    Having said that, the 40 is a high pressure cartridge. You need a slow burning powder and you should stick to low or mid range loads from your manuals. I have no experience with W231, though Google shows that it is good to go in 40. I use Power Pistol and HS6 in mine.
    Get a Leefctory crimp die. I don't load .40 but it works great for my 9mm G17. Completely gets rid of the bulged case. I wouldn't hesitate to load for a .40 cal Glock either. I would just keep track of how many times I load brass and always check for cracked cases.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Chester County)

No issues with my reloads. I use Pistol power and Lead bullets (which many of posts have argued the "Can't use lead Bullets" for Glocks.)

Load away safely and enjoy!
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

(Cumberland County)

Wink Re: reloadin for 40 cal glock?

keep in mind when using (plated) bullets to use lead bullet loads. you can speed them up just a tad if you wish, but you are shooting basically a lead bullet. the plating is thin at best. you can shoot lead in glocks, have done it off and on for years. just be sure to clean the barrel more often and do it well. excessive leading can result if you do not clean accordingly. this can result in increased pressure levels which is not cool for you or the gun.

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pagoda240 View Post
    Good loads there, but the one's loaded long are NOT for Glocks. Those are for long throated STI's and would be BAD in a G23....if they'd even chamber.

I've loaded a ton of Berry's in a G35, but always with Titegroup. The Lee FCD is nice, but not needed. A better option is the Lee U die from Evolution Gunworks. It's undersized and will take out the bulge. It will also virtually eliminate any bullet setback....which can be dangerous in an unsupported .40.

Lycanbecarefulthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Susquehanna County)

The chamber in Glock pistols does not fully support the cartridge. This is a condition Glock adopted to make their pistols more positive feeding. It is also the cause of the so-called "Glock Bulge" in fired cases.

Because the 40 S&W operates at a fairly high pressure multiple reloading could cause the "bulge" to weaken sufficiently to rupture the case. The Lee Factory Crimp sizing die has been mentioned so let me add also that there are after-market replacement barrels for Glock that do fully support the cartridge and have cut rifling (instead of Glocks polygonal rifling) so you can use lead bullets.

Just be careful and work into it.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast