Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Philly, my city, my LTCF experience, (and my Philly LEO experiences)

I was going to put this as a reply to another thread, but I thought it worths a thread of its own.

In reference to Philly:
    Quote Originally Posted by schmol View Post
    It would be easier and less frustrating to just move out of that shit hole of a city...
    Not to pick on just schmol and all due respect to all of you here, but what's with the Philly disses? I bet more than half of those who hate Philly have NEVER even lived here. And those who live here and want to move out, I highly encourage it...there are much better housing options outside. If you don't love where you live, pick up and go.

In any case, I went to apply for my LTCF 6 weeks ago, my application was 90% complete except for one of my proofs of residence was missing. Since I have waiting in line and she had already processed the initial part of the application, Detective Caldwell was VERY pleasant about it and come back with the 2nd proof later that day and she will make me next in line. I came back 1/2 hour later and she lined me up right away. I had a pleasant interview. The questions on the application were straight-forward, cannot be misunderstood, and at no point did I feel that she was trying to trip me up. She even jumped the answer, "Self Defense," after she asked me "Why do I need a license" even though I have already prepared a brief list of reasons. I got my LTCF yesterday - 6 weeks to the day! I am curious if anyone on the forum who live in Philly who was denied LTCF who was truthfully answered all of the questions.

I've been to 30 countries and hundreds of cities, but I love Philly. Among many reasons to list: culture, bars, parks, museums, restaurants. If I stay in this country for the rest of my life, I will live in Philly and nowhere else. While I understand that you've heard stories, especially those related to gun laws and restrictions in Philly, politics, idiotic stuff going on in the city, do you usually hear good stories on the news or on message boards?

I've always been an upright law-abiding citizen and 95% of the 1.5M people in Philly are too. Here are a couple more stories about law enforcement and me in Philly throughout my years here:

1. When I was in college, I met an LEO with an unmarked car in front of 7-11. I ended up talking to him because I knew his friend, a uniformed LEO that I chat with on occasions. After a few minutes of chatting, he asked me if I wanted to see something cool. He flipped a switch inside his car (an old 80's car that rigged up for LE purposes that looks just like a good old civilian car) and all kinds of police lights started flashing...pretty neat. We ended up talking about how it was customized etc.

2. Three years ago, I got pulled over for running a stop sign in a school zone. I attempted to stop, but it was too late. The LEO heard my tires screeching and stopped me. He let me go because I tried to stop and it was an honest mistake.

3. A few months after that, my car was broken into, I called 911, but eventually flagged a marked car down. The LEO was very helpful and called CSI in to process finger prints.

4. Last year, I got pulled over for running a "yellow" light a few months ago. The LEO gave me a ticket because I was speeding and running the light, but he was very nice and told me to go to court to get the points dropped. He went through the whole details (since I didn't know anything about it), including appeal process if I can't get the points dropped the first time.

5. A few days ago, some CSI's were doing stuff right outside my house. I came out and immediately one of the officers volunteered that they are doing some crime scene re-processing for court purposes for a case that occurred about 1.5 years ago (I didn't have to ask, and I guess they didn't want me to be alarmed). I spent a bit of time chatting with both of them and both had some crazy stories to share. I told them my wife and I are applying for LTCF; one of them said "Great! We need more of you out there to level the playing field". I told him it was much better than throwing rocks, then he replied "or being buried." I thought to myself...or see him again in a professional environment. Afterwards, I invited them into the house (one of the 2 CSI's were here checking it out when it was in the process of being built). Both of them gave my wife and I their personal numbers and asked us to call them anytime we need anything. They invited us to their office one of these days to check out the facility. I'll definitely take them up on it.

The bottom line is that I live in Philly for 13 years and most of my experiences have been overwhelmingly positive (as are all my friends and neighbors) in all aspects of life, down to obtaining my LTCF. I don't know if you follow other threads about other LEO's in other counties, especially the recent ones, 1 by Damage Control and the other 2 by Aran about his experience at Wal-Mart and the local LEO's, but that sure as heck worse that what I have read about Philly.

Regards,
    Al

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Philly, my city, my LTCF experience, (and my Philly LEO experiences)

I travel to Phila every few months for my sons health care and have stayed (extended stays) in Phila at various times for the same reason.

I hold my nose the entire time I am there. Sure, we've taken in some of the attractions but if we weren't forced to be there in the first place I would not find it worth the effort of dealing with the negatives of the city to go otherwise.

Different stroke for different folks.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Philly, my city, my LTCF experience, (and my Philly LEO experiences)

I lived in the city for 6 years. (all in "nice" areas)

Boy am I glad to be out of there!
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Montgomery County)

I don't like ANY city, not just Philly. Too crowded. Too much traffic. Sure, there are nice people in any city, but they tend to vote for Libs as a whole. These Libs then pass stupid laws.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by mythaeus View Post
    I was going to put this as a reply to another thread, but I thought it worths a thread of its own.

In reference to Philly:

Not to pick on just schmol and all due respect to all of you here, but what's with the Philly disses? I bet more than half of those who hate Philly have NEVER even lived here. And those who live here and want to move out, I highly encourage it...there are much better housing options outside. If you don't love where you live, pick up and go.

In any case, I went to apply for my LTCF 6 weeks ago, my application was 90% complete except for one of my proofs of residence was missing. Since I have waiting in line and she had already processed the initial part of the application, Detective Caldwell was VERY pleasant about it and come back with the 2nd proof later that day and she will make me next in line. I came back 1/2 hour later and she lined me up right away. I had a pleasant interview. The questions on the application were straight-forward, cannot be misunderstood, and at no point did I feel that she was trying to trip me up. She even jumped the answer, "Self Defense," after she asked me "Why do I need a license" even though I have already prepared a brief list of reasons. I got my LTCF yesterday - 6 weeks to the day! I am curious if anyone on the forum who live in Philly who was denied LTCF who was truthfully answered all of the questions.

I've been to 30 countries and hundreds of cities, but I love Philly. Among many reasons to list: culture, bars, parks, museums, restaurants. If I stay in this country for the rest of my life, I will live in Philly and nowhere else. While I understand that you've heard stories, especially those related to gun laws and restrictions in Philly, politics, idiotic stuff going on in the city, do you usually hear good stories on the news or on message boards?

I've always been an upright law-abiding citizen and 95% of the 1.5M people in Philly are too. Here are a couple more stories about law enforcement and me in Philly throughout my years here:

1. When I was in college, I met an LEO with an unmarked car in front of 7-11. I ended up talking to him because I knew his friend, a uniformed LEO that I chat with on occasions. After a few minutes of chatting, he asked me if I wanted to see something cool. He flipped a switch inside his car (an old 80's car that rigged up for LE purposes that looks just like a good old civilian car) and all kinds of police lights started flashing...pretty neat. We ended up talking about how it was customized etc.

2. Three years ago, I got pulled over for running a stop sign in a school zone. I attempted to stop, but it was too late. The LEO heard my tires screeching and stopped me. He let me go because I tried to stop and it was an honest mistake.

3. A few months after that, my car was broken into, I called 911, but eventually flagged a marked car down. The LEO was very helpful and called CSI in to process finger prints.

4. Last year, I got pulled over for running a "yellow" light a few months ago. The LEO gave me a ticket because I was speeding and running the light, but he was very nice and told me to go to court to get the points dropped. He went through the whole details (since I didn't know anything about it), including appeal process if I can't get the points dropped the first time.

5. A few days ago, some CSI's were doing stuff right outside my house. I came out and immediately one of the officers volunteered that they are doing some crime scene re-processing for court purposes for a case that occurred about 1.5 years ago (I didn't have to ask, and I guess they didn't want me to be alarmed). I spent a bit of time chatting with both of them and both had some crazy stories to share. I told them my wife and I are applying for LTCF; one of them said "Great! We need more of you out there to level the playing field". I told him it was much better than throwing rocks, then he replied "or being buried." I thought to myself...or see him again in a professional environment. Afterwards, I invited them into the house (one of the 2 CSI's were here checking it out when it was in the process of being built). Both of them gave my wife and I their personal numbers and asked us to call them anytime we need anything. They invited us to their office one of these days to check out the facility. I'll definitely take them up on it.

The bottom line is that I live in Philly for 13 years and most of my experiences have been overwhelmingly positive (as are all my friends and neighbors) in all aspects of life, down to obtaining my LTCF. I don't know if you follow other threads about other LEO's in other counties, especially the recent ones, 1 by Damage Control and the other 2 by Aran about his experience at Wal-Mart and the local LEO's, but that sure as heck worse that what I have read about Philly.

Regards,
    Al

Not to be ignorant because it sounds like you and philly are a good fit, but what do you think would happen of you tried to OC???? I understand if you don't want to but it shouldn't be due to fear of LEO response to OC.

Glad you have enjoyed living in the city...what area???
    MOLON LABE

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHands View Post
    Not to be ignorant because it sounds like you and philly are a good fit, but what do you think would happen of you tried to OC???? I understand if you don't want to but it shouldn't be due to fear of LEO response to OC.

Glad you have enjoyed living in the city...what area???
    I am in Northern Liberties now. We have a condo in the Art Museum area (that we rented out after 3 years there before buying a place in NL). Before that, I lived in West Philly (Drexel U. area ... many years there), spent a few months in Rittenhouse Sq. and 10 months on Ben Franklin Pkwy.

As for OC in Philly, I have never ever seen it nor have I ever heard of LEO arresting anyone OC legally (else we would have heard about it on the forum). GunLawyer may want to chime in here. I venture to guess that gun-uneducated people are of the same ratio in Philly as any other county (unless you have a concrete stats on this to disprove my perception). The fact is that unless people know about guns and gun laws, they will be deathly affraid of seeing them in plain sight outside of law enforcement. 1.5M+ people here just makes it that much more difficult. I brought up Aran's postings to give some perspective on the fact that OC (and even CC) can be difficult anywhere, not just Philly. Try OC'ing in Bucks County and tell me how that goes with LEO's there. Small town LEO's are stigmatized to be more "controlling" (don't believe me? Watch Super Troopers ... hehe) for a reason.

Al
    Last edited by mythaeus; February 1st, 2008 at 06:08 PM. Reason: spelling errors

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    I travel to Phila every few months for my sons health care and have stayed (extended stays) in Phila at various times for the same reason.

I hold my nose the entire time I am there. Sure, we've taken in some of the attractions but if we weren't forced to be there in the first place I would not find it worth the effort of dealing with the negatives of the city to go otherwise.

Different stroke for different folks.
    U Penn CHOP/West Philly area or elsewhere P.Patriot?

Al

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by 625 View Post
    I don't like ANY city, not just Philly. Too crowded. Too much traffic. Sure, there are nice people in any city, but they tend to vote for Libs as a whole. These Libs then pass stupid laws.
    Haha...nice people are liberals?

Al

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by mythaeus View Post
    U Penn CHOP/West Philly area or elsewhere P.Patriot?

Al
    CHOP. Cardiac center.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by LorDiego01 View Post
    I lived in the city for 6 years. (all in "nice" areas)

Boy am I glad to be out of there!
    How long ago did you move out? Not trying to convince you to come back, but Philly has changed dramatically the past 10 years.

Al

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast