Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Smith Model 64-# on GunsAmerica

Someone must have picked up a lot sale of State of Ohio Corrections Department Smith&Wesson Model 64 (Stainless) 38s because there are about 100 of them for sale on Guns America for anywhere between $269 and $339 from the same seller.

I am interested but am looking for opinions on the prices (most are $289 and 85% and $10 shipping) They are out of state so the sales tax will only need to be paid when you file your state taxes. My assumption is that they were probably carried lots but shot little and that the quality of the 64 is fine and that they were probably serviced from time to time.

Cheers!!
    Last edited by ewrski; January 20th, 2012 at 12:31 PM.
    Yond Cassius has a lean and hungry look; He thinks too much, such men are dangerous

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: Smith Model 64-# on GunsAmerica

I have bought several pcs from Robertson - Andy and the guys there are great to work with and give accurate descriptions and many actual pics! I picked up a S&W 6906 and a Star BM9 over the past couple months and couldn't be happier. My buddy picked up one of those Ohio corrections Smiths and was happy too! $10 shipping and they will even do free 90 day layaway if you want!

(Bucks County)

I bought a former service revolver, model 64, and it was as you said..carried alot/shot little. Bull barrel, fixed sites and 38spl is a proven caliber. I say go for it.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ewrski View Post
    Someone must have picked up a lot sale of State of Ohio Corrections Department Smith&Wesson Model 64 (Stainless) 38s because there are about 100 of them for sale on Guns America for anywhere between $269 and $339 from the same seller.

I am interested but am looking for opinions on the prices (most are $289 and 85% and $10 shipping) They are out of state so the sales tax will only need to be paid when you file your state taxes. My assumption is that they were probably carried lots but shot little and that the quality of the 64 is fine and that they were probably serviced from time to time.

Cheers!!
    A friend of mine picked up a S&W 64 from a lot sale at Surplus City (just north of Philadelphia) for $239.00 back in early December. The weapon was in really nice shape and tight. Can't go wrong with a deal like that in my opinion. But he had the opportunity to personally look through them. Even the prices you quoted are good prices, but it would be great to be able to look and pick one that is good and tight.

(Allegheny County)

It looks like Gunsamerica is down so no one can buy them all up while I'm deciding.
    Last edited by ewrski; January 21st, 2012 at 03:30 PM.
    Yond Cassius has a lean and hungry look; He thinks too much, such men are dangerous

(Philadelphia County)

I got mine from Classic for (IIRC) $325. They had a few of them at the time so I picked the one I liked best. Apart from minor scratches it's in good shape and locks up solid. The trigger is also very smooth. It's my favorite thing to shoot for fun.

(Delaware County)

My opinion, based on having looked over a half a dozen of the California Department of Corrections guns that were all over the place a while back is that I wouldn't buy one without being able to examine it first. There were a lot of guns that didn't carry up and wide variations in condition.