Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Re: great traffic stop encounter

I'm sorry if I stuck a nerve but I am just happy that my situation allowed me to get home safely. The police did nothing wrong he asked a question and I responded. I don't feel my "rights" were infringed upon. If I have a gun the police has no idea if I am a regular old Joe or if I'm gonna turn and shoot. He wanted to be safe as did I. It irritates me that everyone gives cops a hard time. Everyone thinks being a prick to a cop is gonna help till that cop takes you for hostile and uses deadly force. It don't much matter how illegally the cop acted if your in a casket... Not all cops are dicks and if u respect law enforcement a little more, our "rights" won't be infringed upon.

Sorry for ranting its just a little irritating that I'm being smashed for expressing my opinions.

(Montgomery County)

Wrong. The police officer broke the law. He performed an illegal search and seizure of your property and your person in violation of your rights under the 4th amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

And by allowing it to happen, you make it that much more likely that it will happen again to someone else.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by bhuey79 View Post
    I'm sorry if I stuck a nerve but I am just happy that my situation allowed me to get home safely. The police did nothing wrong he asked a question and I responded. I don't feel my "rights" were infringed upon. If I have a gun the police has no idea if I am a regular old Joe or if I'm gonna turn and shoot. He wanted to be safe as did I. It irritates me that everyone gives cops a hard time. Everyone thinks being a prick to a cop is gonna help till that cop takes you for hostile and uses deadly force. It don't much matter how illegally the cop acted if your in a casket... Not all cops are dicks and if u respect law enforcement a little more, our "rights" won't be infringed upon.

Sorry for ranting its just a little irritating that I'm being smashed for expressing my opinions.
    Are you someone that would shoot a cop? I'm going to take a guess that you're not a criminal. Why would you think it's ok to be treated as a criminal?
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by cakeshooter View Post
    Why is this? In case they don't let you back in your car? I guess so make sure you have your keys, but sometimes they don't let you grab your keys....
    This is part of a series. You do have to pick and choose what information you accept as correct on the InterWebz but the series is intersting and raises some good questions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDJrQBwJpqk
    Last edited by PA Traveler; January 20th, 2012 at 10:35 PM.

(Chester County)

OK... Whether you like it or not your rights were violated. You are allowed to let it happen to you. That's your choice. The problem is that many many police officers see nothing wrong with violating a persons rights. That is what we are upset with.

The officer had absolutely no reason to search your vehicle and seize, even if temporarily, your PROPERTY.

We get upset when others give in so easily because that becomes the norm for police encounters. Now the next time the officer encounters someone with a legally owned firearm, he is going to expecting to be allowed to take it.

Ugh...
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Chester County)

bhuey79

I have a question for you. Would you so easily give up your cell phone so the officer could run it's serial number to make sure it wasn't stolen? Of course not. Your gun is your property. Just like your car, your phone, your pants, etc... You do not have to prove ownership or relinquish it without a warrant.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Franklin County)

You can rant if you want but expect to get a little ass chewing from some.

Before I started carrying I was like you, always thought that it was fine if I let the cop search the car, checking for stuff I knew I didn't have or was legal because "I didn't have anything" or "it kept the cop safe". Only after I did a lot of reading and understanding did I realize that my rights were being violated and it really was not for the cops safety, it is actually a fishing expedition by the cop. Once you let them in the car to look around or remove your gun, anything they find is on you. If they find a joint a friend left or a narcotic pill that fell out of a prescription bottle it is now legal evidence at your trial. And the best part for the cop is you gave him permission. Remember, the safest place for your gun is in the holster or stored away. When he asks to take it "for his safety" he is calling you a threat.

I would highly recommend watching the "Don't talk to Cops" video or better yet, find a copy of Flex Your Rights video "10 Rules for Dealing with Police". You'll get a better idea of what you need to know and how to handle it.

This is the search part of the video, it covers refusing searches by cops, how to decline a search and what your rights are. I suggest finding a copy of the whole thing for viewing, it is good info.
    Last edited by Doughdaddy; January 20th, 2012 at 10:54 PM. Reason: changed video

You don't *feel* your rights were infringed? Then you are either ignorant of your rights or you willfully gave them away to make a cop *feel* comfortable. In case you didn't notice, he has the upper hand. He is in control of the situation. He has the badge. He has the training. He has the entire system on his side. He is not afraid of your gun. He does not need you to make him feel comfortable.

You don't have to be a prick. No one has suggested that you should be.

Your statement above "if u respect law enforcement a little more, our "rights" won't be infringed upon." makes no sense at all. It says "let law enforcement trample your rights so they won't be infringed." In other words, give him permission to search your vehicle and remove your personal property so that he doesn't have to do it illegally.

You really need to learn what your rights are. Watch the videos that others in this thread have linked to. It's important. Men & women have given their lives to protect our rights. You really should know when those rights are being violated.
    Help us restore election integrity in PA. Join PA Voters United

(Delaware County)

If I have a gun the police has no idea if I am a regular old Joe or if I'm gonna turn and shoot

Nothing you did made the officer more safe. At all.

If you are so worried about officer safety you should advocate that, when pulled over, passengers and drivers should exit the vehicle and lie down, allowing the police to cuff and search them and the car for all the dangerous things that could be used.

Why not? Officer safety right?

Heck let's let the officers wear masks over their faces so their identity is concealed, so no criminal gets angry and hunts them down. Or limit all cars to only 5 miles an hour around police cars, that way no one will get hurt in case the driver decides to ram the officers driver side door.

Right? Officer safety!

The only way you could have helped make this encounter a good one, like you propose, is if you are a psychopath who shoots and kills police officers unless you let them hold your firearm while you are in their presence. That's it. I sincerely hope that's not the case!

I can't stand that you think this was positive. I don't think you've looked into this issue at all. I hope you're happy that a guy with a uniform let you exercise your "privilege" and gave your bank account a "treat" for it.

Well, I take that back... I hope you read around a bit and learn that this is not how you should feel. I hope you learn one day that freedom is more important than safety because that supposed safety is an illusion that hampers your freedom. I hope you learn from the others on this board who have and will say it better than me.

Try and understand why so many people think this is a not so good encounter, because they are right and you are wrong.
    Soldats ! Faites votre devoir ! Droit au cœur mais épargnez le visage. Feu !

Deja effing vu!

Why is it someone comes along every couple of weeks and says that standing up for your rights in the face of tyranny and oppression is "being a prick to the cop?" The COP is the prick! You POLITELY refusing his illegal requests is the OPPOSITE of being a prick.

OP, you want to lay down your rights at the feet of every cop that crosses you, that is your choice. Don't you dare say that those of us that choose not to are being pricks.
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast