Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Re: great traffic stop encounter

Quote Originally Posted by mollymayhem82 View Post
    If the OP feels that it was alright, then it was alright. For those that think the stop amounted to a raping of his civil rights, feel free to not cooperate with a police officer during a traffic stop.
    hey You cant rape the willing.

What is "not cooperating" by following the Law? There is no mandatory "must inform Law enforcement you are carrying firearms" law, statute, or official local policy in PA, in any jurisdiction. The police officer took possession of your firearm against the law. The police office had no reason to remove, handle, or unload your firearm, and by doing so this to me is a safety issue. He then ran the number against an illegal, incomplete database consisting of sales records. If your firearm was not in this illegal database it is now. If it wasn't in the sales database he would think that the pistol Grandpa gave to you 20 years ago was stolen, or unregistered and he would believe that he had the power to confiscate the weapon until ownership could be proven or verified. The police officer can say "License and registration please" the questions about where you are going and where are you coming from are inconsequential and do not have to be answered. By volunteering extra information about the weapons its like your giving them more excuses to invade your privacy. The guns were out of sight, their presence in your vehicle had no bearing on the routine traffic stop. Fishing trip anyone?
    "Where are you going?"
    "Home"
    "where are you coming from?"
    "Anytown"
    "Do you know why I am pulling you over?"
    "No"
    "There was a no left turn sign back there, you made a left turn"
    "Oh I didn't see the sign,"
    "Have you had anything to drink this evening?"
    "No"
    Ticket or no ticket or warning. The rest of the information is none of the police officers business

and thats about as far as it should go
    Last edited by bigandy1966; January 20th, 2012 at 09:35 AM.
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Bucks County)

If it were me, just like the OP, I would not have prevented the cop from taking my weapon. (By that time, gotta do whatcha gotta do)...

BUT...

He had no right to take it, because it had nothing whatsoever to do with the left turn.

It sounds like he took it in hopes he could find something juicy. When he found a clean record, he had to give it back.

Possibly even didn't give a ticket so you would not bring it up in court, I dunno. (Can you get a cop in trouble by fighting a ticket in court and bringing up cop behavior?)

That kind of annoys me this morning. (I'm tired and cranky anyway). I mean..."Officer, I was just at a gun club."

"So you have guns in the car?" (Uh no officer, not at all, I was just at the gun club pointing my fingers and saying "Bam, Bam!")

WHAT is the point? "Yes I have legal guns legally in the car. Can we discuss the left turn so I can be on my way?"

Sigh.
    "Stupid people are ruining America." --Herman Cain

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
    When are people going to stop considering this sort of thing a "good encounter?"
    I don't understand either. It's like someone grabbing a woman's purse and then accidentally dropping it as he runs away. She gets her purse back. Is THAT a good encounter too? I don't see the difference.

Or at the SGL range, some asshole sweeps me with a loaded AK. I guess that's a good encounter if I don't get shot.

(Delaware County)

Thread title is false.

If this was a good encounter, a colonoscopy is foreplay

Quote Originally Posted by cakeshooter View Post
    If it were me, just like the OP, I would not have prevented the cop from taking my weapon. (By that time, gotta do whatcha gotta do)...
    The thing here is you cannot prevent the cop from taking your weapon unless you wanna be dealt with in the most extreme manner, but you can and should tell the LEO that you certainly will give him the weapon but do so under protest and do not consent to him taking it just to "run the numbers".

(Lancaster County)

I think you guys are being awfully hard on the OP. Maybe he meant this was a great encounter for the cop.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by cakeshooter View Post
    Never attempt to prevent a LEO from taking anything. Doing so WILL be considered a hostile act and will be responded to with increased aggression.

If they ask, tell them you don't consent to a search, if he does so anyways, allow them but advise them it is "under duress". This will be a clear violation of your 4th A rights. Almost every cop car has a dash cam, if this situation occurs you are better off in court being seen as a victim of a rouge cop and not someone that resisted a search by preventing the popo from taking your gat.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by Doughdaddy View Post
    Never attempt to prevent a LEO from taking anything. Doing so WILL be considered a hostile act and will be responded to with increased aggression.

If they ask, tell them you don't consent to a search, if he does so anyways, allow them but advise them it is "under duress". This will be a clear violation of your 4th A rights. Almost every cop car has a dash cam, if this situation occurs you are better off in court being seen as a victim of a rouge cop and not someone that resisted a search by preventing the popo from taking your gat.
    ^^^^ Good advice, and THIS is why a digital recorder is helpful. I am not sure of the clarity (and distance) of a LEO dash cam for audio purposes.

During a traffic stop we can say whatever we want in regard to "I do not consent" etc, but if it isn't recorded it means nothing in front of the judge, because as-sure-as-shit the LEO will "adjust his story".
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mK2JYfZAmA When will America become America?

(Philadelphia County)

I have been told that if you are asked to step out of the car, remember to have the window rolled up and close the door behind you. While it may be hard to roll up the window while the cop is standing there, it is best just to roll it down just far enough to conduct a conversation and hand them the paperwork they need. Leaving the door open after you get out can be viewed as an invitation to go inside and grab whatever you want. Closing the door behind you requires the officer to have justifiable cause to conduct any type of search what so ever. Cops like to pretend they are helping you open the door by holding onto the frame of it as you are exiting the vehicle. This is to prevent you from closing the door behind yourself and sets up the scenario to an open door implied consent search. Don't fall for that trick.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast