Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default SIG 220 or Springfield Loaded Operator 1911

So planning ahead for tax return, pending nothing coming up, I was thinking of getting a new horse for the stable. I'm torn between two. I've been wanting to get another .45 and narrowed it down. I'm looking at getting either on of the SIG 220 variants or a Springfield Full-size MC Operator 1911. Any ideas?

SIG: http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/p220.aspx

Springfield: http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?version=34

(Mercer County)

Default Re: SIG 220 or Springfield Loaded Operator 1911

Do you have any 1911s?
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

That's a tough one. I have a Sig P220 Carry & a Springfield RO. If I HAD to choose I think I'd keep the RO.........(Maybe, I dunno'!)
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Lehigh County)

I love my p220. I wish I would have gotten night sights but I can always get them in the future.

(Bucks County)

I have a Springfield loaded non operator and I absolutely love it...It was my first 1911, however, not the first one I have shot..

I have never shot the p220, but I am not a diehard Sig Lover like some..both are solid guns and would be happy with either one

Richland Township (Bucks County) PA, Pennsylvania
    (Bucks County)

Keeping in mind my eternal bias... MC op, hands down.
    "More is lost through indecision than wrong decision"

(Chester County)

Two great guns. It may boil down to "do I want a gun with a safety lever or not?"

(Montgomery County)

I have owned both a Sig 220 and a Springfield TRP. Both were very accurate and reliable, although I think you have a better shot at out of the box reliability with the Sig because 1911s do sometimes need a trip home for reliability tweaking. Ultimate accuracy went to the TRP but the 220 was very close. The 1911 had a much better trigger but that is the real draw of a 1911, isn't it? The 1911 is a bigger and heavier gun. For home defense purposes you really can't go wrong with a railed operator. If you plan to carry I would think one of the aluminum framed 220s might be a better fit. If you want to do both with a 1911 you could always look at the lightweight operator with the aluminum frame. These are all nice pistols.

(Mercer County)

Same caliber, totally different animals in my experience. Maybe some things to consider:

-Do you have a preference for SA only with a safety, DA/SA with a decocker? Are you comfortable with cocked-n-locked?

-My 21 y/o P220 with a full 7 round mag of 230 Gold Dots inserted, weighs less than my 1911A1 empty... If weight, or lack their of is a concern, the SIG P220 may be a better choice.

-Ease of parts support, accessories, and folks who work on 1911's is huge compared to SIG. Not that you would be alone in the woods with a SIG P220, simply that your options are far greater with a 1911 platform.

-Reset of the 1911 trigger is FAR shorter, and more satisfying than a stock SIG P220, and when done right, SA of the 1911 IMO and experience is better for me, although my P220 has an extremely nice SA trigger quality.

-The 1911 is narrower compared to the SIG but longer, SIG sits higher, and the huge trigger guard on the P220 and other factors make them feel significantly different.

-The P220's 4.4" barrel as compared to the 5" 1911 does loose a tiny bit of velocity in my experience testing both over a chronograph, with the 1911 being about 40-60 fps faster on average... No big deal at all.

-Not sure how the SA 1911 is chambered, but there is a great difference between mine with regard to leade length... The P220 has a much longer leade, and allows it to fire a wider variety of rounds w/o the bullet shank being driven into the rifling. One such instance is the before mentioned 230 grain Speer Gold Dots. Their 1.200" over all length feeds perfectly in the P220; jams into the rifling in my GI spec 1911. Again, I don't know how the Operator is chambered, just something to consider and perhaps ask.

-Lastly CS. I think you will find SA to have folks happier with their service over SIG, but many times it seems it all comes down to who you deal with on the call or email.

I'm lucky my 1911 feeds everything to include empty cases, so reliability between the two is the same, but some guns get real finicky about LSWC ammo and similar. I could never own a potential home defense or carry .45 that did not feed all reasonable HP ammo. As for accuracy, both of mine are very accurate, and I consider them a tie. Both have charming ways in how they go about their business, and I enjoy shooting both a lot.

Good luck with your quest, and I don't see how you can go wrong with either one you sort out the details, feel/try both, etc.

(Northampton County)

You picked 2 fine pistols to choose from,both are excellent shooters. I am a 1911 pistol fan boy no doubt, but for carry the sig has the edge in one way, its a decocker so you can carry hammer down and take that first shot in doulble action without fumbling with a safety. I own both and as I said I am 1911 fan boy and I shoot better groups with 1911 pistols but I always carry decockers or striker fired pistols that half a second fumbling with the safety could be worth your life in a bad situation. Brian / EFR
    www.EastonFirearmsRefinishing.com Owner/Operator, NRA Pistol Instructor

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast