Need some input on a mini RDS.

My gut tells me to buy an Aimpoint H1. I'm probably going to mount it on an ultimak rail and it would be going on an AK.

However... since I have this innate obsession with trying new shit, and being fairly poor. I would like to be able to move it on to other toys and see if a RDS on said weapon would be worth it's own investment.

Which makes me lean towards something like a Burris FFII which I *CAN* put on a pistol. The H1 would kind of be out of place.

If after doing so, it is so astounding that I must have it that way. Then I'll buy another to put back on the AK, or shotgun, or whatever else this thing may find itself on.

I'm not a military contractor, nor do I kick doors for a living. But I would like something that can get wet and not vaporize itself like K-mart tennis shoes. Maybe handle a bump here or there, but I'm not going to be doing push ups with the rifle on the optic.

I enjoy the inexpensive RDS I have on an AR a lot, and I would like to try it out in some other configurations and weapons. While doing that, I would also like to buy something worth owning for a while. So whatever it is, it has to be able to handle life on a 12 gauge to a .22.

Places this sight could end up.
AK's. All are 7.62x39mm
AR's. 5.56 through 7.62
12 gauge shotgun / 870 TE / Saiga
.45 or 9mm caliber FNP/Glock
.22WMR hand gun

But seriously who knows. It could end up on an inverted scope ring in tandem with magnified optics. If I was JUST going to put a RDS on an AK I would (cry like a little broke ass bitch) and buy the H1/ultimak and call it a day.

Batteries last years. Yes please. That's what I want on a rifle like that.

For the same price however, I could outfit about 3-4 instead with night sights... I do however shoot so much better with a RDS. Even over the AR's irons. And with an AK I think I could REALLY improve my shooting over the iron sights since I do not get to put thousands of rounds down range every few months through an AK like I used to. And, a RDS solves my low light issue the same way, and lends to a better FOV & eyes on target. For me this is huge because I am near sighted and if I can focus completely on the target, and not back and forth between the front post and target... my eyes don't fight me at all.

So...

If I put a Docter, or Burris FF, RMR - etc on an ultimak rail - on an AK... will I destroy it? (The rail is the gas tube on an AK, and they get HOT) Anyone know which of the mini reflex type sights is the best value? Strength / features for the $? Battery life? Ease of use?

I just want to be able to try it on a few things to see how much I like it. I can always find it a home 'not' on an AK. That said, I'd like to also not spend $500 on this sight. If I'm spending that $ I pretty much want an aimpoint. I've considered buying a $75 Primary Arms sight to use as my "mass tester". But I know it's going to end up on 'something' permanently. And I think you can still get something a lot better for maybe $100 more.

Am I wrong?