Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Columbia County)

Default Re: mini reflex sight (RMR/J-point/Burris FF) etc

Thanks photo and asmodeus.

Valorius,
    What you are talking about is called indexing. You are correct in that in total darkenss, if your indexing is not spot on, then your going to be fishing for the dot. I think what you did with the paint is neat, but not very rugged IME (I've used paints in the past and they tend to wear easily especially on a rough used piece of gear). Also I have tried the dovetail mounts and sight height can be an issue with natural point shooting and indexing that has been ingrained by using traditional irons (ie, much more dot fishing and no back up sights). Your set up also does not have an ability to utilize sights if your RDS goes down, so it's not ideal for anything other than range play or gaming IMO. The tritium suppressor sight and RMR set up I use on my gun eliminates those issues. You'd really have to try a set up like mine to see how uncluttered and un-busy the sight picture is. Different strokes for different folks, I like my guns to be rugged combat peices. I don't own many so I like to know that the ones I have will last me a long long time and go through anything I would ever need them too . Once again,The paint idea is cool.

My set up ultimately had a Viridian C5L for the primary short range sight once it became clear to me that the mini HUD alone was lacking as an all the time all occasion aiming device.

Laser for short range, HUD for long range. (though in this shot my P7 is equipped with the laser and tritium night sights)

I agree that the paint was not an optimal situation, as it can wear off. However, for a home defense piece aka night stand weapon, that would not be an issue.

The real issue was that they needed to be charged with a bright light source for a few seconds to glow. Tritium tubes would be a far superior solution.

I think the co-witness idea would work better with the leupold, which has the biggest sighting window of all these mini HUD type sights, at least that i've seen.

(Allegheny County)

Why don't you buy some tiny tritium vials and epoxy them on? Maybe relieve the material underneath a little and bed them in with epoxy.

No flashlight required.

Thanks again for the pics / commentary guys. I appreciate it.

Meh, it's just one of the many good ideas i've had in my life that i never followed up on. LOL....

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by photoshooter View Post
    Party pooper.
    If you're going to tell us to buy the $500+ sight you could at least soften the blow by posting a pic of that sweet Glock of yours...

Anyone have any experience with the Docter sights?
    I just bought a Docter from SWFA a month or so ago, I think they're still for sale at $250. I have the 7 MOA version and mounted it on top of my ACOG on my AR. For $250, I definitely have to say it's one of the best deals out there on an optic in this category. So far perfectly reliable, definitely rugged as hell (accidentally dropped it onto a concrete floor, not even a scratch) and certainly as accurate as a 7 MOA dot can be. For the AK application I'd probably stick with the 3.5 MOA version though. Hope this helps!

Doesn't Docter charge like $100 for the mount though?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by NAV3 View Post
    I just bought a Docter from SWFA a month or so ago, I think they're still for sale at $250. I have the 7 MOA version and mounted it on top of my ACOG on my AR. For $250, I definitely have to say it's one of the best deals out there on an optic in this category. So far perfectly reliable, definitely rugged as hell (accidentally dropped it onto a concrete floor, not even a scratch) and certainly as accurate as a 7 MOA dot can be. For the AK application I'd probably stick with the 3.5 MOA version though. Hope this helps!
    I bet the 7MOA version would be nicer on a pistol or shotgun though.

How does it work for you in the light (bright sun) dark? Transitions?

Does it auto adjust or is it user adjustable?

Any issues? Battery life?

Any pics?

Sorry man ... just hungry for info.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    Any pics? .
    You can see it here, post #490> http://forum.pafoa.org/gun-pictures-...e-page-49.html

Not the greatest pic but its there, on top of the Acog. Maybe he'll grace us with some better ones.
    and to the dust you shall return

Quote Originally Posted by Valorius View Post
    Doesn't Docter charge like $100 for the mount though?
    Heres the site, http://www.docterusa.com/_mgxroot/page_10767.html
    They say $94 for the pic rail mount. I guess its a lot but, comparible to what some other mounts I've seen are going for.

I wonder if you can use other mounts that would fit some of the comparible sights mentioned earlier.
    and to the dust you shall return

The Trijicon, Fastfire and Primary Arms units all use the same mount pattern.

The rest are, i think, unit specific. But i'm not entirely sure.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast