Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Re: mini reflex sight (RMR/J-point/Burris FF) etc

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    I don't care about co-witness as much I care about not changing the height at which I aim on the gun AT ALL. I want my existing hold to be the exact same with the RDS so if I do pick up an AK that doesn't have a RDS - my face is still in the same position. I don't want to re-train something I have already trained to the point where I can do it sleeping.

Can't argue with that logic.
    I see the price of the FF3 has inched up a bit too.

(Columbia County)

I'll chime in with my experience on mini red dot sights since I have used many.

Trijicon MS03 - was very light. adjusted its brightness very well. used standard jpoint mounts. window was small, unit wasn't very weather proof, and battery life was only about 5 months.

Primary Arms Micro Dot - was very light. brightness was good in mid ranges, but in complete darkness or extreme brightness the dot had a tendency to disappear. held zero very well, even when used on my 12 gauge. battery life was horrible, only full power for about 3 months. not very weather proof.

FFII - nice and light. glass was good. dot was small for pistol work, fine for rifle. held zero well. weather proof and durable. battery life was good. on and off switch was annoying and I did not like the side placement.

Trijicon RMR - light. extremely robust. great glass. dot is very visible, and adjusts well in every environment, even in complete darkness using a tac light. Adjustment dials to ease in zeroing and maintaining zero. Holds zero extremely well even on my G19. Weather proof. Battery life very good (almost a year).

In the end, I have sold all my micro dots and have only kept the RMR which rides on top of my milled one source tactical G19 slide. I am not sure how well an RMR will co-witness on your AK but you won't be disappointed in the quality and robustness of this particular sight. HTH.

(Philadelphia County)

Party pooper.
    If you're going to tell us to buy the $500+ sight you could at least soften the blow by posting a pic of that sweet Glock of yours...

Anyone have any experience with the Docter sights?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by photoshooter View Post
    Party pooper.
    If you're going to tell us to buy the $500+ sight you could at least soften the blow by posting a pic of that sweet Glock of yours...

Anyone have any experience with the Docter sights?
    This^ I'm down for some pictures of that! I'd love a Glock with a RDS!

(Columbia County)

Oh you know I love to pimp out my pride and joy Glock!

(Allegheny County)

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Genin View Post
    Oh you know I love to pimp out my pride and joy Glock!
    Now that's what I'm talking 'bout

Then allow me to pimp out my HK P7 with Fastfire II

Low light

Pitch black darkness

(Allegheny County)

Does the FF have luminous dots to Orient your eyes? Or is that a Val special?
    If you did it, explain?

That's a val special.

I used all weather luminescent paint. The idea behind it is that it gives you a frame of reference in the dark so if you see the dot at all, you'll know how to orient it to center it up in the window.

One of the biggest problems of red dots on handguns is that in the darkness, it can be very hard to actually perceive if your hand is lined up correctly, and it can make it VERY slow to acquire the dot at all.

I mean like several seconds slow. Like, die in a gunfight slow.

This is why i think mini HUDs are a poor primary close range gunfighting sight unless you have toooooooooooooooons of presentation drills under your belt.

So anyway, the green dots i added tell you exactly how the gun is oriented in reference to the dot once you get it into the window. Then you just center it between the 3 green chevrons, and you're on target. Of course the problem with that is that unless you've charged the glow in the dark dots, they don't show up in the dark either. Ideally, 3 tritium tubes would be used instead.

I actually discussed the upgrade with Burris. I tried to convince them to use tritium tubes to replicate the effect on their next gen model (which is the FFIII), i guess they decided not to use my (free) idea.

Having a front night sight installed also makes it much easier to align a mini HUD in the dark too.

You can see in the pic of the co-witnessed Triji on the Glock that by co-witnessing, the iron sights now cover up 1/3 of the already tiny window to begin with.

IMO- that picture argues against co witnessing with a mini HUD on a handgun, not for it.
    Last edited by Valorius; January 21st, 2012 at 01:08 PM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast