Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: mini reflex sight (RMR/J-point/Burris FF) etc

The optic sits a little higher that way, but it's still not too hight to be useful. The real drawback with that is that you obviously lose your iron sights.

Hence me having a Viridian C5L on my rail for close range shooting, and the Fastfire for long range shooting.

(Philadelphia County)

I'm currently going through a similar exercise. I'm outfitting an AK and looking at the PA green dot reflex. I've got a few PA goodies and haven't been disappointed with them.

The green dot reflex has a 5MOA dot, integrated pic/weaver mount, 1000 hour battery life and 1 year warranty.
    You turn the unit off by putting the protective cover on it.

I'm also looking at the Burris FF which has a 4MOA dot and most likely has a much longer battery life. I'm willing to spend $200 on the FF but I'm trying to evaluate what else it brings to the party for the extra $125.

If you want a FF, wait for the III. It has all kinds of upgrades vs the FFII.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by photoshooter View Post
    I'm currently going through a similar exercise. I'm outfitting an AK and looking at the PA green dot reflex. I've got a few PA goodies and haven't been disappointed with them.

The green dot reflex has a 5MOA dot, integrated pic/weaver mount, 1000 hour battery life and 1 year warranty.
    You turn the unit off by putting the protective cover on it.

I'm also looking at the Burris FF which has a 4MOA dot and most likely has a much longer battery life. I'm willing to spend $200 on the FF but I'm trying to evaluate what else it brings to the party for the extra $125.
    I did some searching today and read whatever I could find about the FF on an AK. I found a really good comparison from a few years ago on THR. (The high road) I'm betting you can guess how it ended. But some main points were;

They liked very much how little of the FOV got blocked by the FF. And that it added no perceivable weight to the gun.

They did not like, that even though it co-witnesses on an ultimak. All you can see of your irons are the very tip of the front sight post. So basically, it almost completely blocks them. Also the built in brightness sensor. Vs manual adjustment was a fairly big sticking point. And... the non aimpoint battery life/durability. They also said Burris, should you ever need anything repaired etc... sucks pretty bad.

So... Idk...

The FFIII has corrected every single one of those. The main upgrades to the unit seem to be:

Battery change with no removal of sight-
    Manual over-ride on brightness settings-
    3 or 8 MOA dot-
    Flat slot positive click sight adjustments-
    Auto activation mode-

It also looks a good deal cooler, IMO

Should be pretty awesome on my Five Seven.

(Allegheny County)

They fixed a few of them. The problem is the sight itself still blocks too much of the iron sights. I think you missed that part.

I'm going to have to look for something else.
    Last edited by Asmodeus6; January 20th, 2012 at 01:42 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

I dunno either. I'm not so hung up on cowitness anymore. Used to be, now it's not a deal breaker. I'm actually outfitting my "secondary" ak so I decided to experiment a bit. I have that Attero Arms mount on the way. The easiest thing for me to do is get the PA reflex sight. It's cheap and it probably works fine. The FF seems like it would be the next tier up and it's within my budget. As I said though, I'm fine with spending $200, I just want to know what I'm getting for the extra $125 over the PA unit. Web searches are fairly predictable; people that have the PA unit rave about it and say it's on par with the higher end offerings. People that have the FF do the same. People that have Eotechs consider the folks in the first two groups lepers The features Val is talking about interest me and would make the FF3 a viable option. Besides he posts lots of hot girl pics in the pic forum and I think his choice of sights has a lot to do with all that

I'm liking the idea of the FF3. I'll probably end up getting the PA unit, replacing it with the FF3 later and relegating the PA to plinker duty. Assuming that the FF3 won't be available for a little while.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    I'm going to have to look for something else.

People always say, just get both. Most of the time its a joke and financially unrealistic.

Not in this case. I could see getting both pretty doable in this case. Especially at the price point of the PA optics. For less than $200 get the Reflex and the Micro <(T1clone). Youll be able to try both styles of RDS and see which type you prefer. All without dropping considerably more $$ on the more robust and costly options available, only to find out you dont really like it or be wishing you tried the other type in the end.

Then later on, should you decide you like one style over the other, you can spend the big bucks on the high-end stuff.

Just dont fall in love with both types
    and to the dust you shall return

(Allegheny County)

I dunno either. I'm not so hung up on cowitness anymore. Used to be, now it's not a deal breaker. I'm actually outfitting my "secondary" ak so I decided to experiment a bit. I have that Attero Arms mount on the way. The easiest thing for me to do is get the PA reflex sight. It's cheap and it probably works fine. The FF seems like it would be the next tier up and it's within my budget. As I said though, I'm fine with spending $200, I just want to know what I'm getting for the extra $125 over the PA unit. Web searches are fairly predictable; people that have the PA unit rave about it and say it's on par with the higher end offerings. People that have the FF do the same. People that have Eotechs consider the folks in the first two groups lepers The features Val is talking about interest me and would make the FF3 a viable option. Besides he posts lots of hot girl pics in the pic forum and I think his choice of sights has a lot to do with all that

I'm liking the idea of the FF3. I'll probably end up getting the PA unit, replacing it with the FF3 later and relegating the PA to plinker duty. Assuming that the FF3 won't be available for a little while.
    My thoughts mainly go like this. I have tried an open pane type reflex sight on an AK before. (In a handguard mount that was just a little higher than an ultimak.)

It was too high to effectively sight in. And while it was $100. It lasted uhm, 30 shots before the dot went all over the place and then I realized the glass itself was about to fall out.

I don't care about co-witness as much I care about not changing the height at which I aim on the gun AT ALL. I want my existing hold to be the exact same with the RDS so if I do pick up an AK that doesn't have a RDS - my face is still in the same position. I don't want to re-train something I have already trained to the point where I can do it sleeping. If the sight itself blocks all but the tippy top of the FSP, that means the viewing pane starts a half inch or more higher than the original sight plane of the rifle.

When I tried an actual tube type sight on that same mount. Yeah rite! It was so high my shots were sailing 1.5ft under my targets and there wasn't anything I could do to dial the sight in.

Not to mention the inherent suck of having a sight that high on the gun. I have no idea how the guys that have them like that do it. It's so shitty.

Midway USA has the Burris FF III on their site already. They list that they expect stock on the FFIII in the next week or so. I just remember it was 1/2X/12. Which is basically any day now. So...

Quote Originally Posted by brownman View Post
    People always say, just get both. Most of the time its a joke and financially unrealistic.

Not in this case. I could see getting both pretty doable in this case. Especially at the price point of the PA optics. For less than $200 get the Reflex and the Micro <(T1clone). Youll be able to try both styles of RDS and see which type you prefer. All without dropping considerably more $$ on the more robust and costly options available, only to find out you dont really like it or be wishing you tried the other type in the end.

Then later on, should you decide you like one style over the other, you can spend the big bucks on the high-end stuff.

Just dont fall in love with both types
    Tis' true, I could buy a bag full of PA sights for the cost of one Aimpoint. I may start out with one. But as for all the side mounts, and anything other than an ultimak... I just don't see it working for me. Height is just too important to me.
    Last edited by Asmodeus6; January 20th, 2012 at 04:18 PM.

The features Val is talking about interest me and would make the FF3 a viable option. Besides he posts lots of hot girl pics in the pic forum and I think his choice of sights has a lot to do with all that
    LOL!

Glad the ladies and I could help.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast