Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Wife's new Sig Sauer

Quote Originally Posted by Doughdaddy View Post
    My wife insists that the hammer on the .38 stays on an empty chamber, leaving 4 rounds in the gun.
    Sounds like she's gotten some very obsolete advice. In a modern DA revolver in correct working condition, there is no reason to carry on an empty chamber.

That said, the issue of capacity is one of personal choice. If you wake up in the morning knowing how may rounds you'll need in your carry gun to survive the day's life-threatening confrontation... stay home! In all seriousness, some people (including many generations of police) have felt that 5 or 6 in a revolver is enough, others prefer more.

The SIG P250 is probably not the best, but certainly not the worst, choice for a CC handgun. Of course, reliability is essential, but I don't regard the ATF or Dutch police as the ultimate authority on that issue; what matters is how your wife's gun performs in her hands. As with any autoloading carry gun, test it with a few hundred rounds of your exact carry ammo, and if it's not 100%, get it fixed.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by renalp View Post
    The SIG P250 is probably not the best, but certainly not the worst, choice for a CC handgun. Of course, reliability is essential, but I don't regard the ATF or Dutch police as the ultimate authority on that issue; what matters is how your wife's gun performs in her hands. As with any autoloading carry gun, test it with a few hundred rounds of your exact carry ammo, and if it's not 100%, get it fixed.
    Based on some of the comments regarding the P250 and its reliability, I did some more checking online. The issues that some raise do seem to be first run issues, including the Dutch police issue which was reportedly because they tested a proto version, not the released version. Stupid reason in my opinion since you should base it on what you will be shooting, not a prototype.

I also have a question about the modular part, is it this whole design that many think is the flaw? Is the problems they claim only with the full size version of the P250, or does it affect the P250 Subcompact she wants also? After reading the comments and viewing some review videos on Youtube, she wants to go back and look at other models again to see if this really is the model she wants.

She really likes the Ruger LC9 which was her original choice, but the slide pull weight was too much for her with her current physical issue as I mentioned. Either way, what ever it is, it will be painted.

(Philadelphia County)

You seem extremely hell bent that she not change from the revolver she has. That's fine, but again your off the mark.

I have classes being set up for her and I with a member on this site which we plan on doing in February and we plan on making the trip to Philly to take them. You can ask him yourself if you like, he posted right above you. I have been making those arrangement's well before she decided she wanted this particular gun.
    I can vouch for that and looking forward to it. I think Steve meant well, a bit harsh on the delivery, but he meant well.

Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama

(Montgomery County)

Yup, I was a bit harsh and I did not mean to offend. However, there is another very important point to make here: small, light handguns are very difficult to use effectively. Too often I see people buying tiny little things like J frame Smiths, LCP's and the like as a carry gun with little experience or training. They usually take the gun home, shoot it a little, clean it up and carry it. Usually when the rare range session takes place with the neophyte the ability to hit where desired is poor.

I will give you a comparative example, I have a Ruger .454 revolver and a Smith and Wesson 642 revolver. With full power ammunition in both, the 642 actually hurts to shoot when compared to the .454 Casull.

Small light handguns mean heavy recoil, small sights, small controls, shorter barrels... all of which equate to difficult to use. Small handguns should be the realm of experts. However, they are popular today and new people to the sport are buying them in droves. One does not necessarily have to do what everyone else does...

I am alos of the opinion that an individual can become proficient with a full size firearm much more quickly than with a compact or sub-compact firearm. Try before you buy...
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

I stand corrected. I'll shut up now.
    and to the dust you shall return

(Lycoming County)

If she's able to operate the pistol, good! Doing what is needed to make the piece more attractive to her is wise, so good on you! Now practice, practice, practice.

Effective self defense is mostly muscle memory, not thought. So in the "sticky" situation her absolute ease with her choice of pistol is the most important matter. Lots of practice will take care of the break-in and show up any matters that need to be corrected.

Among others, I have both a Hi-Point and a P250. Both work fine.
    Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'donnell fat. NRA Life Member

(Carbon County)

I took my wife out yesterday to look for a new pistol. She currently carries my dads old .38 Special he left me, but she needs a semi-auto that carries more ammo. She settled on the Sig Sauer P250 Nitron because she has a hard time pulling back the slides on most other similar sized guns. Her only issue was that it only comes in black. So I designed a paint scheme for it that she loves. I will have to send it to the paint shop next month.

What do you think?? She loves it, and a friend called it "ghetto". She said "Let the bad guy tell his friends he got shot with this".

Also, does anyone have this model and if so, how does it handle?

edited to new image
    i think before you go painting it up, keep it a few months to make sure she likes it and is able to shoot it well. if she doesnt like the gun, and its still black at least you can get rid of it. if its painted and she doesnt like it, or you have a problem with it you might as well toss it in the trash, no one will buy it. im not even sure if it will void your warrantee if its painted up.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by kel ruger man View Post
    i think before you go painting it up, keep it a few months to make sure she likes it and is able to shoot it well. if she doesnt like the gun, and its still black at least you can get rid of it. if its painted and she doesnt like it, or you have a problem with it you might as well toss it in the trash, no one will buy it. im not even sure if it will void your warrantee if its painted up.
    I thought I addressed this already but reading back on my posts I see I did not. The agreement I made with her is that she must train, use and get proficient with it prior to me painting it. If she doesn't and doesn't like it, it becomes my backup gun and I won't carry purple.

My wife insists that the hammer on the .38 stays on an empty chamber, leaving 4 rounds in the gun
    Then buy her a pink .38 with a concealed hammer, don't even bother with pistols. If you're leaving a revolver around for years on end, she has the right idea.

With defensive "shootings", you're lucky to get one off, let alone two.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123