Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Thinking about giving these PlumCrazy lowers a shot.

I am wanting to put a cheap, reliable AR together. I don't have much money to spend at all but am willing to experiment a little with new products. I'm not a polymer hater by any means so figured that these inexpensive lowers might be worth a shot for the $120. I'm wondering if you can replace the polymer internals with metal such as the trigger and other parts. Also, I understand that I won't get the perfect or best rifle for what I am spending but I am not going to be in battle with the thing so I just need something for some fun shooting on the weekends every once in a while. What would be my best bet for a lightweight upper? I know of Palmetto State but wanted other input since I am new to ARs. Or if anyone knows where to find an inexpensive used upper online or in Ohio please let me know. The reason I am so broke is because I am a full time student but I still have to get my gun fix somehow!

(Chester County)

Default Re: Thinking about giving these PlumCrazy lowers a shot.

Don't buy a polymer AR lower. If you're patient and look for a deal, you can get a decent full metal lower for cheaper than the price you stated.

If you're new to building/buying an AR, go here: So you want to buy an AR huh?

If you don't have a ton of money, a quality AR can still be built. It just takes time, patience, and vigilance searching for deals. If you don't mind used parts, that will help keep the price down. But just any part won't do, read that guide so you know what to look for. It also has good insight on which brands to stay away from. I wouldn't touch a Rock River weapon with a 10 foot pole, but if you take your time and do your research you'll see there is still quality available at the lower end of the price range.
    The Army was the biggest mistake I've ever been proud to make.

(Lehigh County)

you can get a stripped lower from psa for $80, save $40 right off the bat.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by tonyfac View Post
    you can get a stripped lower from psa for $80, save $40 right off the bat.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/
    the plum crazy lowers, from what I have seen, are complete lowers (lower parts kit and stock kit), plus it's already assembled.

with a stripped lower, add another $50 for lpk and a $30 for a cheap buttstock, and $40 for a cheap buffer tube kit and you're at $200. Figure a couple hours putting it together if you've never done it before.
    and then you need tools, hammers and punches, a castle nut wrench (unless you have something else that will work).
    Last edited by WWGunslinger; January 18th, 2012 at 11:20 PM.

Ya the reason I was looking at the Plum Crazy lower is because it was complete and a cheap price. It was getting good reviews online from people who have used them. I wouldn't be looking at them if they weren't. Maybe I will just hold on to the cash I have and see if I come across anything at the gun show in two weeks.

I found out that I can build the complete lower from Palmetto State for 184.95. Seems fair enough to me. Maybe I will just do that.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dthompson2634 View Post
    I found out that I can build the complete lower from Palmetto State for 184.95. Seems fair enough to me. Maybe I will just do that.
    Yep. There was at least one vendor at the past Wash Cty show that had them - just add complete upper, mag, and ammo. But your'e right - at the price point you mention - why bother unless there is some other reason.
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

You can build a rifle for about 550$ without using a PLumcrazy lower, When JSEsurplus does their sales you can pick up a complete rifle for 500$

(Bucks County)