Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default how can i get ltoc

hello to everyone i am a new member. i live and have a business at the jersey shore and have a vacation home in pike county i love it there.would the sheriff issue me the liscence being a part-time resident?

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: how can i get ltoc

I believe that you have to first get a NJ license and then you can apply for a PA non-resident LTCF but only in person in certain counties.

Apply for a AZ permit. Probably easier than proving part time residency

(Indiana County)

Section 6109 (Licenses) speaks about residences, but doesn't mention domiciles. In this particular instance, the Original Poster (OP) maintains a domicile in New Jersey, but maintains residences in both Pennsylvania and New Jersey.

Section 6109 doesn't say the applicant has to be a full-time resident.

That being said, perhaps the OP should apply for an LTCF in the county in which he maintains a Pennsylvania residence (providing proof thereof that he does have such a residence).

(Philadelphia County)

A person may have several residences, however they may only have one domicile. If the property you own in PA is not in a resort community which prohibits utilizing it as a residence/domicile. You would have to establish a domicile in PA, first by obtaining a PA Drivers License and Vehicle Registration. And, you should also register to vote in PA.

BTW: Unless you are politically connected or retired law enforcement, obtaining a Firearms Carry Permit in NJ is highly unlikely.

Best of Luck!
    NRA Certified Instructor Pistol & Shotgun

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-D View Post
    A person may have several residences, however they may only have one domicile.
    This was already mentioned.
    If the property you own in PA is not in a resort community which prohibits utilizing it as a residence/domicile.
    This is an incomplete sentence.
    You would have to establish a domicile in PA, first by obtaining a PA Drivers License and Vehicle Registration.
    As stated in the first sentence, a domicile and a residence are two separate items. Section 6109 says nothing about a domicile; it only mentions a residence.

To establish a domicle involves moving there lock, stock and barrel. It would include changing over one's driver's license, if one possesses one.

To establish a residence involves living there at least part of the year. Many people do this - they stay Up North in the summertime and stay Down South in the wintertime. They pay property taxes, if they own real estate, accordingly.

Additionally, Section 6109 says absolutely nothing about a Pa. Driver's License or Vehicle Registration.
    And, you should also register to vote in PA.
    Whether or not one registers to vote in Pennsylvania is one's personal decision (this is not Australia), and has nothing whatsoever to do with firearms ownership or licensing thereof.
    BTW: Unless you are politically connected or retired law enforcement, obtaining a Firearms Carry Permit in NJ is highly unlikely.
    The OP may or may not know this already but, in any case, it's relatively immaterial to the subject at hand.
    Best of Luck!
    No argument there.
    Last edited by Statkowski; January 18th, 2012 at 10:06 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    This was already mentioned.
    I had no intention to take credit away from you for mentioning it first in this thread. However, I thought it necessary as a lead in to the other points.

This is an incomplete sentence.
    That is debatable! However, I did not enroll in your English Class when I joined the PAFOA.

As stated in the first sentence, a domicile and a residence are two separate items. Section 6109 says nothing about a domicile; it only mentions a residence.
    I own property in Pike County which states that I nor any other property owner may establish residency. As with many Laws, Rules and Regulations residency is often utilized to describe what should be a domicile.

To establish a domicile involves moving there lock, stock and barrel. It would include changing over one's driver's license, if one possesses one..
    Redundant!

To establish a residence involves living there at least part of the year. Many people do this - they stay Up North in the summertime and stay Down South in the wintertime. They pay property taxes, if they own real estate, accordingly.

Additionally, Section 6109 says absolutely nothing about a Pa. Driver's License or Vehicle Registration..
    As stated, the term residency is often misued. One may only claim one domicile.

Whether or not one registers to vote in Pennsylvania is one's personal decision (this is not Australia), and has nothing whatsoever to do with firearms ownership or licensing thereof.

The OP may or may not know this already but, in any case, it's relatively immaterial to the subject at hand.
    A person cannot establish a domicile in PA and vote in another State! And, it most certainly impacts on where one is considered to have established a domicile and obtain a LTCF.

In your opinion, a part time resident of PA whose domicile is in NJ can obtain and PA LTCF. My advice is to establish PA as his domicile in order to obtain a PA LTCF.
    Last edited by Rich-D; January 18th, 2012 at 11:54 PM.

oh snizzap. the grammar police showed up!

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by smittys45acp View Post
    hello to everyone i am a new member. i live and have a business at the jersey shore and have a vacation home in pike county i love it there.would the sheriff issue me the liscence being a part-time resident?
    Actually, as your post centers on having a Sheriff issue a license, we all seem to have missed the acronym ltoc which indicates your question is based on a License to Open Carry. In PA, one does not need a license to open carry except in Philly and where specifically prohibited by Statute. For further details Click Here!

(Adams County)

And then to make matters even more complicated, how are you getting your firearm from NJ to PA ?

Most on here seem to be of the belief that it would be against NJ law to transport it while in NJ so that you can protect yourself while in PA. Of course, none of us know until it gets tested in court.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast