Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default Re: Getting thru Maryland???

Quote Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
    I'd like to see the statute that says that, every thing I've read says something to the effect of "In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm shall be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console." I have a SUV, as such, no trunk, I do have a lock box in the rear where a trunk would be where my (unloaded) gun would go.
    Ask and you shall receive...
    Scroll up to post number 4 by mrjam2jab.
    If Im not mistaken, the actual statute says "the firearm or ammunition shall be contained".
    I think its a little disturbing that your quote came off of an NRA site. Granted, they only changed it a little but it could make a huge difference in how you transport if you have an SUV, pickup, motorcycle or a big truck.
    Last edited by ray h; January 18th, 2012 at 07:15 AM.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by RandomTask View Post
    True; the section at Hancock, MD is about 1.5 miles wide.
    2.2 road miles to be exact.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by RandomTask View Post
    True; the section at Hancock, MD is about 1.5 miles wide.
    1.5 miles WIDE, damn now many lanes is that road?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
    2.2 road miles to be exact.

This is where I cross Maryland. I don't know if its just where they put the border signs, but when you drive it, you are in Maryland for an offramp, a bridge, and that's it.

(Centre County)

Hancock and everything west of it should have been given to VW after the Civil War anyway as reward for breaking from VA.
    MD Sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by howard stiffy View Post
    IIRC, mags must be empty to be considered 'unloaded'.
    You do not remember correctly. What you are recalling is an internet myth. There was a case, in Baltimore, where 2 PA residents were driving with both a pistol and a loaded magazine within arms reach (center console I think). They were stopped, arrested, and charged. The judge surmised that the since the pistol AND magazine were readily available, the gun was loaded. The pistol needs to be unloaded and either the magazine or the pistol need to be in a locked container.

Regarding the necessity to have the firearm locked: See post #4
    " Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console."
    However, IMO, if you are stopped, it would be better to have the firearm locked up rather than the ammo/magazines.

To the OP:

I live in Martinsburg and my father lives outside of Waynesboro in Rouzerville. I go up to his house several times a month. My standard procedure is this:

Traveling north on I-81:

Take Exit 23 (Marlowe / Falling Waters), turn left at the end of the ramp, then immediately right into the park-n-ride. Disarm, unload & secure. In the day time the lot has maybe 20 vehicles, in the night it is lit, although not extremely well. This is the LAST exit before you enter MD. Disarming & securing a handgun along the side of a busy interstate highway is, imo, not worth the risk when there is a perfectly good place to do it.

If you turn left and continue north on Route 11, you will find a Texaco on the right, then a 7-11 on the left. Both are lit well after dark, but both tend to be busy, not that most West Virginians would bat an eye, but I'd rather disarm in a place devoid of people.

Rearming: Do it at the first PA rest stop. It is simply the easiest, most well lit place to do so without running the risk of accidentally getting dumped back into MD for 1/2 mile or so. Just keep on trucking until you hit the rest stop.

Traveling south on I-81: The best, most well lit and "secure" place I've found is in front of the truck stop at Exit 5 (Old exit 3). It is well lit, but there tends to be a fair bit of traffic. There is also a McDonalds, Arbys, and two gas stations that might provide a bit of solitude while you disarm. Again, I'd rather not pull off to the side of a busy interstate to disarm, too many people driving too fast for me to be sitting there trying to unload & properly secure my firearm.

Reloading in WV: The rest area is near the top of the hill just after you cross the Potomac. Typically it is well lit, and if you go to the far end of the parking lot, there is usually not a many people around. This is the first and most convenient place to stop and begin exercising the right endowed to us by our Creator.

Follow the speed limit as soon as you cross the border, even the ridiculous 60 mph zone near the mall, and you should be fine.

Good luck on your trip.
    Last edited by WVneighbor; January 18th, 2012 at 06:20 PM. Reason: i r hav gud grammer n spellin'
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

(Franklin County)

Rouzerville?
    Im surprised you dont take exit 9 (Maugans) and head up Leiterburg pike. Thats a shorter route to Rouzerville. There happens to be a disarming pulloff right at the MD/PA line. Its actually a school bus turnaround but I use it as a disarming point. Other than that, I do much the same as you when I travel between my home in Waynesboro and my property in Falling Waters.
    It irritates me that the dumbasses in our government think its safer to have me stop in a public area, along side the road, and unload/reload a gun than to just carry straight through with my sidearm tucked safely in its holster. The mentality of these people baffles me.

Quote Originally Posted by howard stiffy View Post
    IIRC, mags must be empty to be considered 'unloaded'.
    That would be Ohio.

Quote Originally Posted by ray h View Post
    Rouzerville?
    Im surprised you dont take exit 9 (Maugans) and head up Leiterburg pike. Thats a shorter route to Rouzerville. There happens to be a disarming pulloff right at the MD/PA line. Its actually a school bus turnaround but I use it as a disarming point. Other than that, I do much the same as you when I travel between my home in Waynesboro and my property in Falling Waters.
    It irritates me that the dumbasses in our government think its safer to have me stop in a public area, along side the road, and unload/reload a gun than to just carry straight through with my sidearm tucked safely in its holster. The mentality of these people baffles me.
    Dad lives just down the road from Blondies, and was born/raised less than 1/2 mile from where he lives now. Going to Wal-Mart with him is an experience. I swear that man can't go 10 feet without stopping to talk to someone.

I've gone the way you suggested it is a good bit shorter (both mileage and time) I stay on 81 because for a couple reasons. I can set the cruise control at 60, I don't have to worry about traffic (usually) or stop lights. And I enjoy the drive.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by WVneighbor View Post
    Dad lives just down the road from Blondies, and was born/raised less than 1/2 mile from where he lives now. Going to Wal-Mart with him is an experience. I swear that man can't go 10 feet without stopping to talk to someone.

I've gone the way you suggested it is a good bit shorter (both mileage and time) I stay on 81 because for a couple reasons. I can set the cruise control at 60, I don't have to worry about traffic (usually) or stop lights. And I enjoy the drive.
    Fair enough, I do the same thing sometimes just because I feel like something different.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast