Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Re: Getting thru Maryland???

I just now went back and read more of the thread to try and get an idea where you were coming from, because I couldn't believe you were making the argument I was reading.

Now I understand what you are saying, and I agree. It is not MD law that allows transport through MD, it is FOPA. MD 4-203 is for transport within Maryland.

Maybe that 2nd cup of coffee would have been a good idea after all.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    I just now went back and read more of the thread to try and get an idea where you were coming from, because I couldn't believe you were making the argument I was reading.

Now I understand what you are saying, and I agree. It is not MD law that allows transport through MD, it is FOPA. MD 4-203 is for transport within Maryland. ....
    Good! Then we do agree!

(Lehigh County)

First; sorry for opening a VERY old thread.
    But I have a related question and thought it better to reply here instead of starting a new thread.

I'm planning on attending Virginia's Lobby Day on 1/20/2020 in Richmond, VA.
    And living in Allentown, PA. I will need to drive through Maryland.
    Not that I plan on breaking an laws. But I just do not trust Maryland police; state or local; not to be jackbooted criminals.

So I would like to take the shortest, most practical, and safest route through Maryland.
    The two most direct routes; I-95 or MD route 15; would take me longer through Maryland than I would like.

The 3rd most direct route is along I-81. Which I used to routinely take when I went racing at Summit Point, WV.
    BUT I heard too many horror stories about Maryland SP are now scanning out of state license plates and unlawfully target, harassing travelers with carry permits.
    And although I would probably be traveling at night along I-81. My truck has signs, novelty plate, and flags that indicate I am very Pro-2A/Pro-gun.

So I looked for other possible routes.
    I thought about going at least another 1-1/2 hour out of my way and crossing through Maryland at rt 522.
    Which I happen to notice in this thread that soberbyker mentions in post #12 of this thread.

So I'm looking for opinions.
    • Should I just stick with the quickest route and take I-95 ?
    • Is the I-81 corridor really that bad ?
    • Would it be wise for me to take the extra 1-1/2 hour each way to travel along rt 522 ?
    • Is there another route I have not even considered ?

Thanks;
    --ET

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ett View Post
    But I have a related question and thought it better to reply here instead of starting a new thread.

Not that I plan on breaking an laws. But I just do not trust Maryland police; state or local; not to be jackbooted criminals.

So I would like to take the shortest, most practical, and safest route through Maryland.
    The two most direct routes; I-95 or MD route 15; would take me longer through Maryland than I would like.

The 3rd most direct route is along I-81. Which I used to routinely take when I went racing at Summit Point, WV.
    BUT I heard too many horror stories about Maryland SP are now scanning out of state license plates and unlawfully target, harassing travelers with carry permits.
    And although I would probably be traveling at night along I-81. My truck has signs, novelty plate, and flags that indicate I am very Pro-2A/Pro-gun.

I thought about going at least another 1-1/2 hour out of my way and crossing through Maryland at rt 522.
    Which I happen to notice in this thread that soberbyker mentions in post #12 of this thread.

• Would it be wise for me to take the extra 1-1/2 hour each way to travel along rt 522 ?

Thanks;
    I-81 is only 12 miles through MD but you probably already know that. I've been through there a time or two and never noticed any increased LEO activity. I'd just stick to 55 or so, don't obstruct traffic and tip-toe through. My grandfather used to own a farm within earshot of Summit Pt., never been to the track though.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(York County)

Any time I have to drive through MD I just do the standard unload it and lock it up in the trunk, then load back up and carry once I’m in VA. Never had an issue/never need pulled over in MD while doing this.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I-81 is only 12 miles through MD but you probably already know that. I've been through there a time or two and never noticed any increased LEO activity. I'd just stick to 55 or so, don't obstruct traffic and tip-toe through. My grandfather used to own a farm within earshot of Summit Pt., never been to the track though.
    If it was me I would stay away from the Interstates, because who knows what deals the VA SP has worked out with the MD SP.

(Erie County)

Thanks;
    81 is the shortest route through MD. About 15 miles, from the Potomac River to the PA state line. I would not suggest 522. Too much traffic, and more police than the interstate.
    Last edited by SevenMilePete; January 7th, 2020 at 06:34 PM.

(Franklin County)

Follow US code 926a, don't do anything dumb, stick close to the speed limit and don't sweat it.
    I'm pretty sure Maryland police don't have access to PA LTCF information, I can't see how they could since it's not tied to driver info in any way.
    The Hostler

(Chester County)

Thanks;
    Rent a car for the day.
    Last edited by JenniferG; January 8th, 2020 at 12:55 AM.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by ray h View Post
    Follow US code 926a, don't do anything dumb, stick close to the speed limit and don't sweat it.
    I'm pretty sure Maryland police don't have access to PA LTCF information, I can't see how they could since it's not tied to driver info in any way.
    Yes it is. When all those new license plate scanners came on line so did the inclusion of LTCF information with your driver's license. If you are driving a vehicle registered to you he will run the plate and find your driver's license and the LCTF information right there for his use. The Chester County Sheriff told me that your driver's license is now directly connected to the LCTF and they share their database. That was the case about six months ago. The year is now 1984.
    Last edited by JenniferG; January 8th, 2020 at 01:06 AM.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast